My iPods Screens Cracked:( Need Advice

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by SparkyBlue, Feb 21, 2010.

1. SparkyBlue

SparkyBlue Well-Known Member

May 26, 2009
    Still at school
    Bonnie old Scotland
    A few months ago in school I was letting a friend of mine play Jellycar on my iPod (Everyone who has an iPod at my school loves it) and while playing some idiot nudged into him and he dropped it and now the screen is cracked. I'm just looking for advice on what to do? Is it fixible? Do I need to be under warranty(Cause I think it ran out) and does my iPod being jailbroken affect me getting it fixed? Is there anyway to like just have it repaired and not replaced, as I have grown fond of my Mario Sticker design on the back:L
    Its a JailBroken iPod Touch Second Generation with 8gb Memory.
    Pictures if needed:L

2. jak56

jak56 Well-Known Member

warranty does not cover screen damage anyway. repair will be really expensive, getting a new ipod is the best option i think

3. The prez 12521

The prez 12521 Well-Known Member

Aug 17, 2009
    School
    USA
    my screen is in 2 piecies still attached as well as actuall wholes of my screen missing. i was out of warranty by a day :p but also, if you want a warranty to cover all of that crap, its basically like paying for the device twice. you can try and buy a screen replacement, buts its not worth it.

I view my crack as a novelty. Now no one wants to touch my ipod :D

4. Vester

Vester Well-Known Member

Yeah, I would actually wait until the ipad comes out and then I would replace it or get a 3rd gen. Sorry man. You should rough that idiot up :D

5. The prez 12521

Aug 17, 2009
    School
    USA
    i woulda have made the kid pay for a new one, but it was my cousin who is a lieing theif

6. SparkyBlue

May 26, 2009
    Still at school
    Bonnie old Scotland
    Karma kinda helped me. I heard he dropped his phone in the changing rooms at PE and someone stood on it

7. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    Yeah, you really should've had a case on. Wouldn't have guaranteed preventing the cracked screen, but it would've absorbed a substantial amount of shock.

8. wootbean

wootbean Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    the next whiskey bar
    :eek: can i see it :cool:

9. spidey146

spidey146 Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2009
    If you're jailbroken, Apple will boot you out of their store. To Apple, jailbreaking is illegal and they will want nothing to do with you.

10. Spamcan

Spamcan Well-Known Member

It's not illegal but it does break the EULA. There's a huge difference there, they can't take any action against you they just won't provide support. Restore the phone and they'll never even know.

11. iamBone

iamBone Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2009
    Just restore it a bunch of times.
    My backlight broke so I nuked it over and over again by restoring it and when I took it to them they looked at it for 2 seconds, said "brb" walked to the back of the store and got me a new one. I was out of there in under 5 minutes (I had an appointment at the Genius Bar though) with a new touch.

Don't know about a broken screen though.

12. SparkyBlue

May 26, 2009
    Still at school
    Bonnie old Scotland
    I shoulda had a case on but I didn't. So by Jailbreaking it I can't get it replaced? How about repaired? How much would that set me back? Cause to be honest I've went places with my iPod with me and I don't wanna have it replaced as stupid as that sounds? Oh and my mario stickers on the back. Proud of them:rolleyes:

13. Spamcan

Spamcan Well-Known Member

If you walk into an Apple store with a jailbroken device they will not help you at all. It breaks the EULA and they are no longer required to replace or service the device even if if you have AppleCare. All you've got to do is restore it beforehand, as long as it's not jailbroken even if it was in the past you should be OK.

14. tsharpfilm

tsharpfilm Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2009
    Digital Artist
    USA
    Exactly.

15. SparkyBlue

May 26, 2009
    Still at school
    Bonnie old Scotland
    So A restore of my iPod and they can't tell if I have jailbroken it or not?
    Seems easy enough. I'll see the apple store in my city later and ask about it
    Thanks guys:)

16. Kamazar

Dec 13, 2008
    Just to clarify things, don't ask about their jailbreaking policy. You just might get the douche that takes things way too seriously.

17. The prez 12521

Aug 17, 2009
    School
    USA
    hes talking about asking for his screen lol

18. Kamazar

Dec 13, 2008
    Just making sure, presidente, just making sure.

19. The prez 12521

Aug 17, 2009
    School
    USA
    ahahah thanks kamazente. I contacted EVERYONE i could about getting my screen cracked and if your out of the warranties, your done for. Basicaly, i was told i needed an extended warranty plus a damage warranty as well as an apple care plan, all probably around $300. friggin economy

20. LBG

LBG SeƱor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    You could try blaming it on an Apple store worker. Just say that you were on holiday in another country's Apple store and a worker dropped it and refused to replace it.