My iPod Touch 2G Broke?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Shade, Jun 18, 2009.

1. Shade

Shade Member

Dec 10, 2008
    I had just plugged it in about 5 minutes ago into my computer using the wire it came with as I always normally do, next thing I knew, I smelt something, and then a very soft pop. My iPod now smells pretty damn bad and won't turn on.

I have a warranty with apple for 1 year and a Best Buy warranty for 2 years (Bought it last September).

Suggestions? Help?

2. jchampl

jchampl Well-Known Member

nice, sounds like your computer provided your touch with a voltage spike that it was not able to handle. the only thing you can do is wait for it to cool down, and it may turn on due ot the temp sensor, or take it back right away to best buy and get a new one and explain what happened leaving out the spike information, as they could blame that on you/your computer.

3. Shade

Shade Member

Dec 10, 2008
    Well, it smells like battery fluid or something of that sort, it wreaks pretty bad at the moment.
    Also, You're saying that less is better when I explain it to them?

4. jchampl

yup, just a say you had it on the charger came back to it, and it was warm and smelt funny and wont turn on. that's it. you've got the warranty and it will cover it without a doubt if it sounds like the equipments fault. you can bring it to an apple store if you have one around you, and get an immediate replacement as well, as its still covered under apples warranty,

5. Shade

Shade Member

Dec 10, 2008
    #5 Shade, Jun 18, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2009
    Ok, one last question, will the fact that it was jailbroken have an effect on anything?

6. jchampl

i don't assume everyone that is JB pirates things, i'm jb'ed and I don't so no worries.

well it can be problematic. if you plug it into your computer does it show up in itunes? i'm thinking that your battery may have poopsocked, but the usb power might be enough to power it up enough to show in itunes and restore it. it would be great if you could power and remove the break, however as long as it won't turn on, you should be okay taking it in for service as they won't be able to turn it on, and see what's on the device either. the worst part is, taking it right now with the warm battery and smell would be great for getting a new one, but I would hate for the temp sensor to kick off and turn back on for you then. i feel fairly safe in saying the device will probably never turn back on again.

7. gscal

gscal Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2009
    SF Bay Area
    Apple's policy says they will not fix jailbroken iPod touches/iPhones. You could always try, however... Best Buy might allow it, Apple might not be so lenient.

8. jchampl

shade .....dude, this is the second touch that you have broken, I have never broken even one and I have had every model since the ipods first release. :(

9. Shade

Shade Member

Dec 10, 2008
    #9 Shade, Jun 18, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2009
    I actually tried plugging it in and accessing it through iTunes, nothing. It was hot when it first happened but cooled after about 2 minutes, it still smells. I think my best bet then is with Best Buy, if it appears to be a hardware issue they usually replace, I'm just sad I can't save my progress on anything now =/ (especially Real Racing and Zenonia).

I know, its horrible, I take extremely good care of my electronics. For my iPod not only did I have an Invisible Shield on it, I had a hard rubber backing. This thing looks almost new.

10. Fleabag323

Fleabag323 Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2008
    Now all we can hope is that that guy from Best Buy that you're going to talk to doesn't read this thread. :p

11. jchampl

well best buy can't prove that his usb port was the culprit, and it wouldn't really matter if you told them everything, but it will move much faster if you play dumb and just tell them what they need to know, to get it exchanged and out of there.

12. goldglover411

goldglover411 Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2009
    ipod touch game reviewer
    USA
    just tell them that you were playing the game car jack streets your ipod couldnt take the awesomeness and it blew up.