Universal My Friend Pedro: Ripe for Revenge (by Devolver)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Lull4by, Aug 4, 2021.

1. Lull4by

Lull4by Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2014
    #1 Lull4by, Aug 4, 2021
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 5, 2021
    Link: https://apps.apple.com/us/app/my-friend-pedro/id1549573204

My Friend Pedro

Devolver
    They kidnapped his wife and kids and left him for dead. But it's going to take more than that to split this banana's fam…
    Free
    Buy Now
    Media
    Details
    They kidnapped his wife and kids and left him for dead. But it's going to take more than that to split this banana's family. Help your friend Pedro serve some ice cold revenge, with a sprinkle of bullets on top! My Friend Pedro is back in a brand new mobile adventure of blood, bullets and bananas! Flip and fire your way through 37 action packed levels on foot, on a motorcycle and even on a skateboard. Plan your high caliber choreography for the best scores and, if your skin is tough enough, test your skills in Blood Rush mode. This banana is Ripe for Revenge. Are you?
    Information
    Seller:Devolver
    Genre:Action, Adventure
    Release:Aug 05, 2021
    Updated:Nov 29, 2021
    Version:1.12
    Size:183.5 MB
    TouchArcade Rating:Unrated
    User Rating:Unrated
    Your Rating:unrated
    Compatibility:HD Universal

There is only a full game unlock iap for just $3, enjoy it!

2. elcrazy

elcrazy Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2017
    #2 elcrazy, Aug 4, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2021
    The original is great on the switch. Looking forward to trying it out when it downloads onto my phone. I never pre order but I did this when it first was announced. Didn’t want to forget lol.

3. anthony78

anthony78 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2015
    This isn’t out yet in the US. Probably should update the thread title to say 11 EST. Also, to be clear, this is a new game - not a port of the console game.

4. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Oh wow. Looks like this was just pushed back to the 7th. :/

EDIT: Or not? I don’t know. It says the 7th for me, while it’s downloading right now. wat

elcrazy likes this.
  5. elcrazy

Sep 19, 2017
    Yes it’s a new game made completely for mobile. Looks very different but much of the same. I’m sure it will be great. Looking forward till this eve. Unless it’s been changed like @metalcasket just mentioned.

Update: I just went to check and it’s actually out here. Downloading now. Will be back with some first impressions soon.

metalcasket likes this.
  6. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Please refer to my edit above. :p

elcrazy likes this.
  7. elcrazy

Sep 19, 2017
    #7 elcrazy, Aug 4, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2021
    Ok so it’s great. Looks like it will be a lot of fun. Just played first level. Almost got three stars. Controls will take some getting used to. I see for see control complaints coming lol. I will get used to them. Inverted is turned on by default. I turned it off and for me it’s better like that. Very well done for a mobile Pedro !! Buying the full game now.

Update: Full game lets you continue from levels beaten and unlocks a 2nd game mode. Possibly some other stuff as well. Without in app you have to start from tutorial every time. Reminds me of how Smash Hit was. I like this play/pay model. For sure gives people a chance to try out the game. It’s fantastic so far. I feel like there just won’t be enough lol. Already hoping for an update. No other control options except default (you can turn on or off inverted though). Im already getting the hang of it. Once it flows I’m sure it’s the best option. Everyone should be trying this for sure.

This past month or so has been crazy for good games. Feels like the good ol days again with some recent incredible premium games.

aussiepaul, DonnyDJ76 and metalcasket like this.
  8. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Nothing new to add to this. Mirrors my opinions. Inverting controls really does make a ton of difference if you’re aiming for stars, but it’s fine in slingshot mode if you want to take things at a relaxed pace. Fairly certain getting 3 stars depends on keeping your multiplier up, which, for the non-twitch crowd, might be problematic as things get super hectic. That said, I think scores and stars are just for bragging rights. Levels don’t need a prerequisite to be unlocked. All in all it’s great stuff!

aussiepaul and elcrazy like this.
  9. elcrazy

Sep 19, 2017
    Exactly. Anything I didn’t say you just did. That’s how the original is as well. Stars and points are just for “bragging rights”. Or completionist and pure fun of trying to get a perfect combo. But not needed for progression at all.
    Both games have a perfect balance. I’m not far in enough yet to see how crazy this gets. But original is awesome. So gratifying throwing a frying pan in the air and shorting bullets off it to kill guys, then jumping through a glass window and taking out like 10 more guys. Really looking forward to diving in more later.

metalcasket likes this.
  10. WJGaming

WJGaming Member

Aug 5, 2021
    Male
    First Impressions
    This is a pretty fun game! It runs smooth on my iPhone X, and I’m enjoying my time with it. But I do have some gripes.

- 3 stars are a little odd. I’m not sure how to get them. I finished the level quickly, and got a full combo but still only got 2 stars. It was close to three tho. Not sure what to do? (Anyone who does know help)
    - I’m currently playing on free mode (might buy premium to support and game and publisher I like) and I feel like the paywall is a little too intense, specifically starting from the beginning when you die (happened once on Level 6) or when you want to improve your score is super annoying. I really feel like they should’ve just made it blood rush, or hell, just put ads in free mode.

What are your opinions on the game?

P.S Hi TouchArcade forums. Been reading for like 2 years but I’m new to the forums! How are y’all :)

Anotherkellydown and solarnya like this.
  11. elcrazy

Sep 19, 2017
    I was curious about the three stars also. How it works is to kill guys as quick as possible. Before they have circles if possible. That will net you the full 100 points. Once they notice you points go down fast. Just keep at it you’ll get it. I have played first 8 levels and fully 3 starred first 6. I played the first over and over till I got the hang of the point system. I love trying to finish a game like this with max combo. Most games I don’t care. But this or a THPS and I go combo crazy.

Also for a game like this I think the pay model is perfect. It’s very fair. Gives you a taste. If you’re great you can get more then just a taste. Adds no way in a game of this caliber. And a fully free campaign ? Nooo. Blood rush is just the campaign with a very strict timer. That won’t be for everyone at all. Really think this pay model is super fair IMO. But to each their own. Everyone will have a difference of opinion. I’m a guy from the intellivision, Atari, nes days. I strongly believe in premium releases. And with things like Switch I’m all about physical games.

aussiepaul likes this.
  12. anthony78

anthony78 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2015
    $2.99 for the full game unlock is beyond fair. I’m glad they did this rather than F2P with ads and all the other garbage.

aussiepaul, Lull4by and elcrazy like this.
  13. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Oh, 110%. There’s no doubt folks are going to scoff at the full game’s price to length ratio (if you’re not aiming for stars), but that’s the way we’ve been conditioned. This, however, is the perfect $2.99 game.

14. elcrazy

Sep 19, 2017
    It’s 3.99$ here lol. But game is honestly worth $10 easy. On any other platform $10 or more. Regardless of length. It’s got replay ability and huge fun factor. But like you said the conditioning of mobile games is crazy. Everything should be free with constant updates. The amount of posts over the years that have upset me regarding a few dollars. No idea why people think games should be free or even just a few bucks. So much time effort and money go into these releases. Then if on apple they get raped by AppStore before they even get their cut. Not attacking anyone in this room. Was a fair question to ask others feelings. But 3$ for this is awesome. And the way they implemented it is perfect IMO.

metalcasket likes this.
  15. WJGaming

WJGaming Member

Aug 5, 2021
    Male
    I am most certainly not of that opinion (over 70% of games on my phone (at least) are paid for) and I didn’t mean unreasonably high. But I just think personally that having to restart from the beginning every time is quite annoying, especially if I end up getting far then dying. Idk. I do get it and think it is good value, I’d just rather it was fully paid from the get go. But to each their own. Still really enjoying the game :)

elcrazy likes this.
  16. elcrazy

Sep 19, 2017
    That’s the design. Let them play for free. And eventually they will want to buy the whole game to experience it all through check points. It’s not only very fair for us. It is also a very smart business model. I love any app that has full game unlock in it. Sometimes its done better then others. For me this is one of the best design models. And I hope you know I wasn’t taking a shot at you. You brought up a question and we all have our own opinions. But mobile customers in general are very picky about any spending for the most part. This game has fantastic value. I paid $13.99 for Wingspan and I would have paid $25 had I known it was that good. Hell even $50. I bought the board game version for $60 just because I had to have it. So many good mobile releases recently. I hope this trend continues.

anthony78 likes this.
  17. Anotherkellydown

Anotherkellydown Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Bronze

When I saw this was only $3 for the premium unlock it was mine. Truly expected this to be at least $4.99 and closer to $7.99.

Anyway, I’m in the same 2-star boat some of you other guys are in. But I decided I don’t care (for now) and am just enjoying the acrobatic bloodbath.

I tried this when it was on Gamepass but it seemed overly complicated to pull off the moves and I uninstalled it. For some reason - probably simplicity of the touch controls(?) - I’m having a blasty blast with it.

elcrazy likes this.
  18. bx59

bx59 Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2016
    Just managed to beat this one in 2hrs, all 3 stars.

Well, idk what to say about this one. Great gameplay, amazing soundtrack (different tracks for different levels, yes I'm throwing the shade to the all "these" Apple Arcade games here), spot-on humor. It's Devolver, you expect these already, right?

I wanna keep praising it big time, but there are a few things missing for me:
    • That slow-motion/bullet-time/whatever-it-is mechanic, I think it kinda kills the fun. I've experienced the same things with Exit the Gungeon too and immediately disabled that feature, I wish I could turn it off in here as well. I don't really wanna think 10 seconds before making a jump or roll. Since you can't walk normally in this game, those waiting times became much more frustrating.

• You need to follow a certain path so no creativity is expected from the player, I thought it would be a bit more open in terms of strategies. Even the shooting order of the enemies is the same, so just memorize the level and you're good to go.

• And last but not least, of course, NEEDS MOAR LEVELS. (Yeah had to do it.)

19. Anotherkellydown

Anotherkellydown Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Bronze

20. elcrazy

Sep 19, 2017
    Perfect review if a great game. I’m playing slowly. At level 17 got 3 stars on all but 4 of them so far. Really liking it. Makes me want to pick up the original on my switch again.

Anotherkellydown likes this.