My first Origami Sonobe Stellated Octahedral and Stellated Icosahedral assemblies

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by SJP99, Oct 10, 2010.

1. SJP99

SJP99 Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2010
    Ipod Touch game player person like thing????
    11th dimension
    I was bored so i started doing some origami. I found instructions for some cool module origami. Both of the shapes are made from a number of identical modules. These ones are called sonobe modules. I made a Stellated Octahedral and Stellated Icosahedral. the octahedral is made from 12 modules...the icosahedral is made from 30 modules. I think they came out okay..not perfect..but they are my firsts ones. [​IMG]

2. RttaM

RttaM Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2010
    That's pretty cool.

3. SJP99

SJP99 Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2010
    11th dimension
    thanks

4. yourofl10

yourofl10 Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2008
    Very impressive there, quite neat.

5. f e a r l e s s

f e a r l e s s Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2009
    #5 f e a r l e s s, Oct 11, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2010
    Say that thread title three times fast!

6. StarCraftIsGreat

StarCraftIsGreat Well-Known Member

Jul 25, 2010
    I remember making one of these for my geometry class! Very cool work, SJP.

7. SJP99

SJP99 Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2010
    11th dimension
    Thanks! Im trying to find instruction for a 60 module one and a 90 module one. till then im going to try making some origami spike balls and other module origami models.it pretty awesome to see the end result!:)

8. sid187

sid187 Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2009
    hey nice work. iv been a paper folder since i was 10. such a relaxing thing to do.. its amazing what you can do with a square piece of paper.. its also amazing what paper folding is doing in science.. its leading into genetics.. ie.. folding the genes like you would a piece of paper.. a cool movie that explores the art of origami is:

Independent Lens: Between the Folds
    (Exploring Origami)
    2008NR56 minutes

Filmmaker Vanessa Gould takes you on a provocative odyssey into the mesmerizing world of modern origami, where artists and scientists use the ancient art form to craft works of delicate beauty and to model cutting-edge mathematical theories. Pushing the envelope of origami to include caricatured portraits and elaborate abstract designs, these experts examine how paper folding can reveal the profound connection between art, science and philosophy.

its a neat movie.. lots of cool things being done with paper.

keep on folding..

chris.

9. SJP99

SJP99 Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2010
    11th dimension
    yeah..its amazing alright. When i was 10..we had this calender. everyday had instructions for a new origami model and you would us the piece of paper from the previous day to make that model. I loved it. We lost it in the tornado and im 13 now and i have forgotten how to make anything except for a water bomb and ninja star..i just started doing origami again yesterday and i learned to make some cool polyhedrons. I think ill try and make at least one new model everyday...its really cool and fun. Best part is you can get ahold of some form of paper and a few folds later..its amazing looking.

10. sid187

sid187 Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2009

oo thats to bad.. its a something that will go through life with you.. i have gone a year or so with out folding a piece of paper,, then i would get excited about folding again and go nuts for a few years etc.. im 35.. so been doing it for a little while.. with the internet should be even easier to get info compared to when i started.

how I got into folding paper.. A friend of mine showed me how to make a paper balloon, then i went to the public library and found a book on the subject.. at that time probably only a hand full on the subject.. and the second thing I learned how to fold was a throwing star.. and i was the hit of the class.. and been folding on and off ever since :)

its funny, when I go out to dinner ill usually fold my tip into something.. depending on the sex of the waitress or waiter. they always enjoy it more than the tip i think sometimes..

chris.

11. Mudkipz223

Mudkipz223 Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2009
    Atlantis
    Nice, I remember having to make a stellated dodecahedron for my geometry class, it was pretty cool but was difficult and took a little while for me to make :p

12. KGameLover1

KGameLover1 Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2009
    Student
    Ohio
    Awesome! Love it!

And, BTW, thanks for putting me in your sig. :)

13. CaptainAwesome

CaptainAwesome Well-Known Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Student
    The Island of Berk
    Whoa, my friend used to make these all the time. He'd ask me every day if I had any paper scraps he could use; I must have torn up at least 50 useless assignments per month or so.