Universal Mutant Mudds - (by Renegade Kid)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Dec 5, 2012.

1. Gabrien

Gabrien Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2009
    Game Impressions

Average at best, and often more frustrating than fun. Does an admirable job of illustrating the folly of gratuitous 3D affecting level design, so I suppose there's that. Overall: *yawn*

2. retr0spective

retr0spective Well-Known Member

May 24, 2011
    Riverside, CA
    I bought this game because it combines two of my favorite things, platforming and pixels. Based on my limited experience with it so far, I think that the retro art style is beautifully executed, and also that the level design makes good (and judicious) use of the multi-dimensional gimmick. The transitions are more immediate than Paper Monsters (another excellent platformer) and woven into the level design rather than superimposed upon it. It is a difficult game, which is what we generally hope for in any good platformer, and requires some repitition and timing - qualities that are reminiscent of the old Super Mario Bros. games. So far, my only criticism is the speed of the main character - he moves a bit too slow for my taste - and of some of the obstacles. The slow moving character with slow moving obstacles somewhat tests my patience on occassion despite the presence of responsive and accessible controls. Overall, I was quite pleased with it and will continue to return to it, though it is not the type of game that I could sit down and play through in one sitting.

3. ramon31

ramon31 Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2011
    Hortacultrist
    Australia
    This is an terrific game for 99c.
    Reminds me of my old gameboy color.
    If you love platformers and collecting coins you must get this game.
    Its also good to see a slower paced platformer, a good break from all the speed runners.
    5 stars

4. Smelt

Smelt New Member

Oct 25, 2009
    #44 Smelt, Dec 6, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2012
    have to agree with some of the positive responses. I bought it immediately and so far it's just a quality platformer. It's challenging from the start, and the layered effect is pretty fun. The character is a bit slow, but it didn't bother me at all. It's just a different pace. must-buy for platform fanatics.

And as far as speed running games.. those games are fun too, but i wonder what a company like beavertap could do if they would make a solid, mario type 'classic' platforming game.

5. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Not really sure where I fall on this one. This was my most anticipated title this week and I absolutely love the sense of depth, the graphics and the exploration but on the other hand, there is something to Gabrien's yawning and I'm not sure if it's just the main character's overall speed. Can't put my finger on it. Perhaps I'm just too early in.

6. EnterNexus

EnterNexus Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2012
    The speed, definitely the speed. Maybe we have been spoiled too much by Mikey Shorts and Mos Speedrun and LOE, even more traditional platformers moves faster then this. The speed is right for the game, because precision and such, but it's just so weird to be moving so slowly after playing other ios platformers.

7. Andy C83

Andy C83 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Over the Rainbow
    #47 Andy C83, Dec 6, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2012
    Now you're #3 and I'm #2. Woo yah.

Edit: Now I'm #3. Bleugh yah.

8. Slamdunk Software

Mar 7, 2011
    Developer
    Sydney
    Don't think so. Well I can't seem to get it to work. Great game though. Love the bit tunes

9. ninjackid

ninjackid Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010
    Bought! Impressions in a bit.

10. ninjackid

ninjackid Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010
    Impressions time!

Just played a couple levels, and hot-digitty-damn, I'm loving this so far. The controls, graphics, sounds, everything just clicks with me. Well worth my buck! :D

11. nightc1

nightc1 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2012
    AL
    I played the demo on 3DS and thought it was a pretty horribly boring platformer. Almost uninspired in many ways as the precision jumping was the main feature. But folks on forums I visit for 3DS gaming loved the heck out of the game so for $0.99 and after watching that TA Plays video.. I figured what the heck. Maybe when I'm on a break from GTA:VC, I'll give it some time.

12. SteakfryOne

SteakfryOne Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2012
    I was kind of disappointed that there's no iCade support. If any game should have it, it's this one. Hopefully it'll be added in a future update, though.

13. Freeman,Gordon

Freeman,Gordon Active Member

Nov 30, 2011
    This. Please, make it iCade compatible! Please!

14. Matt33

Matt33 Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2010
    Developer
    Canada
    #54 Matt33, Dec 7, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2012
    Lol, now I'm here at #3. I just played the first 4 levels and realized that our current speedrun efforts are likely futile. I just went into "Grannie's Attic" and saw upgrades for your jump and hover ability, which you can use to replay levels, and likely get faster times. Here we are competing while handicapped lol

15. Mirkwood

Mirkwood Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2012
    I really appreciate the controls. They feel perfect to me. Great game

16. Andy C83

Andy C83 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Over the Rainbow
    Haha, thanks for letting me know, I haven't checked out the attic yet!

17. zatoichi

zatoichi Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2009
    #57 zatoichi, Dec 7, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2012
    Wow. Really enjoying this game. But damn those disappearing platforms to hell!!! That is all.

18. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    LOL. I wasn't sold on this game at first, with their being positive reviews on the 3DS (mostly due to the way it utilized the 3D) to not so hot reviews on the PC.

But I decided to bite after all. I'm liking it so far and am actually pretty surprised at how the game gives a pretty good 3D allusion even on the iOS.

Only thing I don't like so far is what you quoted...those disappearing platforms. They appear and disappear so quickly that it almost seems more like luck than skill to get on them at the right time.

19. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    Hover. Especially with the power-up you can get later, I don't miss them any more.

That last level though... Damn was I happy when I managed to beat it. ^^

20. bramblett05

bramblett05 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2012
    Just got this and wow really fun nice 3D and buttons are perfect