iPad Music Ideas For SciFly II

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by jshmrsn, Feb 24, 2009.

1. jshmrsn

jshmrsn Well-Known Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Mobile Game Developer
    Agoura Hills, CA
    Hi everyone!

So if you've played the original SciFly, you may have noticed that the background music isn't too great. That's because I made it myself :)

For SciFly II, I decided to set aside a chunk of the revenue from the original SciFly and devote it to contracting some actual music...

I really enjoy tapping into these forums for feedback and I'm hoping that all of you will join me in making SciFly II a better game over the next few months. It is for you, after all :)

Okay so for today's topic, sound design. What type of music do you think will go well with the SciFly series? It's futuristic, so probably something with techno roots... but what do you guys think?

As I've mentioned before, the game is going to have both exploration and action-based combat.

Any thoughts you have I will pass on to the guy who is doing the music.

Thanks!

- Josh Rosen

[​IMG]

2. how about some drum and bass ?

no clownstep DNB though, please

3. DHrox

DHrox Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2009
    College Student
    Baltimore, MD
    Rock. Definitely. Or maybe some island tunes for water/ocean missions.

4. 1337brian

1337brian Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head
    Anything Aphex twin style :D

5. Owl

Owl Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2009
  6. butters

butters Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Never played the first one, but judging from the screenshot this shooter seems to have it's 'slow' moments so why not use some electronical/ambient stuff and then fade to d&b or some faster technoid stuff when there are more enemies on screen... (I could imagine some Aphex Twin in his lighter moments...)

Personally most of that stuff is not really my kind of thing, but it seems fitting. HipHop, Punk, Pop, Ska, Metal, etc. (in any of it's forms) does just not fit imo.

Perhaps you could also go with some classical stuff. That might also work.

EDIT: YUCK @ Banana Ride or whatever that was called. Just YUCK!

7. jshmrsn

Oct 29, 2008
    Mobile Game Developer
    Agoura Hills, CA
    #7 jshmrsn, Feb 24, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2009
    Haha yes Aphex Twin...
    Well it does have aircraft customization.
    Pimp my aircraft? o_O

[Edit: Well that's mostly referring to that music video :)]

[Edit: @butters Yeah that's would be very interesting. It would be really cool to have two different tracks for different scenarios. Hopefully I can figure out a way to afford that. Thanks for the detailed input.]

8. jvis

jvis Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Will Scifly users have to pay for Scifly 2 or will it be an update?
    sorry for hijacking the thread but i was curious.

9. Coral

Coral Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Some Post rock bands like El Ten Eleven, Mogwai, Explosions in The Sky and God is an Astronaut are what I listen to anyway. All of it is instrumental, it has its intense parts and its clam parts.
    Just my opinion.

10. Der-Kleine

Der-Kleine Well-Known Member

Cannibal Corpse - I will kill you :D

11. Owl

Owl Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2009
    Heh. I love how people hate that song XD

12. Der-Kleine

Der-Kleine Well-Known Member

I don't realy like it :rolleyes:

13. Owl

Owl Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2009
    I mean, my song, Banana Ride. Everyone except me and two friends hates that song. Heh.

14. Phi6

Phi6 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2008
    I've always thought Jeff Beck- Suspension would be amazing for a space flight game

Probably wouldn't suit this though, as it would be more a exploring, space trading Elite style game. It's similar to X3 the reunion soundtrack.

15. Phi6

Phi6 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2008
    Also, we need to think out of the box. Just because its a futuristic space action game doesn't mean it has to be pumping techno soundtrack.

Listen to the bg music for wing commander prophecy for example.

Quite subtle, but quite epic.

Btw theres still nothing on the iphone that compares to that game!

16. Owl

Owl Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2009
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTrKiT_berc

Maybe? o.o I haven't listened to the other stuff here, but we don't really need any sort of techno, and I'd hate it if any kind of heavy metal were to be put in either. Maybe like how Fallout did music, I dunno.

*hasn't actually listened to it in awhile, and will later >>; *

17. Phi6

Phi6 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2008
    Instrumentally I think that could work, its nice.
    Not sure about the vocals, if that would fit in.

18. Owl

Owl Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2009
    *shrugs* If that song can motivate me to do homework, it would probably great to listen to it in game :p If not the vocals, then at least the music, because it seems like it might fit, I dunno. I listen to this kind of music when I play shooters, it works for me :p

19. jshmrsn

Oct 29, 2008
    Mobile Game Developer
    Agoura Hills, CA
    Wow, thanks for pointing out Wing Commander to me, Phi6. Regardless of just the music, there's all kinds of inspirational vibes I was getting from that video :) It's always good to look back at retro games for ideas, it's amazing what those games could do. I am only 17, so I haven't yet seen them all first hand.

As far as the music, there's a track we are looking at that is a nice blend of electric guitar and techno backdrop. Funds are very low, so we're not exactly licensing popular bands here or anything haha, but it's good to hear what you guys are listening to and your thoughts. I still haven't exactly figured out how to blend the action areas of the game with exploration areas... Maybe if I toil with it enough I can create a decent ambient loop for the exploration and blend into the techno/rock track I'm purchasing. We'll see...

Over the last couple days I've been working on the customization framework for the game. It's very rough now, but you can pretty much drag and drop weapons and such onto your ship and take it out fight. There's all sorts of directions that could go, I'll drop by again soon to get some more feedback. If you're interested :)

Thanks so much!

-Josh Rosen