Universal Muffin Knight (By Angry Mob Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by goiMot, Sep 1, 2011.

1. jumpman475

jumpman475 Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2009
    Student
    Ithaca, NY
    Nice, I'm glad this game is getting good reviews.

2. plasmakirby3

plasmakirby3 Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2011
    Junior in High School
    Northern California
    Muffin Knight originally got a 5/5 from AppSpy but Andrew brought it down to a 4 due to lack of originality that originally went unnoticed.

3. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    Thanks, I usually visit the youtube page and not the website.

4/5

I personally don't care, I just want to have a fun game, and this game does that with great execution and style. When Super Crate Box comes out I'll download that as well as long as it controls well.

One difference that does matter to me is that AngryMobGames are at least promising future updates for MK, while Vlambeer has all but shut down any hopes of building upon the original game.

4. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    Reviews are pouring out today. :eek: So far everyone loves it, the only hangsups anyone talks about are:

1) Small sized buttons that you can't adjust in options
    2) Occasional lag
    3) The Super Crate Box issue.

http://www.capsulecomputers.com.au/2011/09/muffin-knight-iphone-review/

5. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    I agree with that the basic premise is taken from SCB. But there's a lot of difference in the weapons and level design. Bazookas vs. dragon's breath? I think the character changes are more clever. Not that I don't mind blowing apart the opponents to bits with some of the items in SCB.

Personally, I'll probably get SCB when it comes out as well. I think there's enough difference between the two. And think this still deserved its original 5/5.

6. TheEvilNoob

TheEvilNoob Well-Known Member

Jul 25, 2010
    Noob assassinator
    My evil lair
    #86 TheEvilNoob, Sep 5, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2011
    Hahahah best game ever! 5 stars!
    How can you rate a game worse because it is close to another game? It is a review of the game not originality. Besides how many games are really unique these days? Games quite often are close to other games. Heck gamelofts entire list of games are all taken from ideas other developers had (which isn't a bad thing since we wouldn't get those games on mobile without gameloft). All i am saying is this game deserves 5 stars :D

One small problem with the game: when you turn into the raging bull on singleplayer it zooms in and shows you that you have transformed, but on multiplayer it does not zoom in and when i transform i usually end up dashing off a cliff (which is hilarious) because i was just tapping/holding the attack button.

7. slewis7

slewis7 Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    Retired!
    Houston, TX
    I completely love this game, but I am having a problem with GC achievements. I am notified of new achievements, but they are not registered. Sorry in advance if this has already been mentioned.

8. shyguy3

shyguy3 Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2010
    I wouldn't be surprised if it was Spencer who contacted Andrew to tell him about how "MK copied SCB". LOL!

9. AENIGMA

AENIGMA Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2011
    NY
    I'm having the same problem as well. The achievements with a number/percentage are not working properly for me (like kill 100 enemies with the Knight). The one time only ones like collect 10 muffins without hitting an enemy work though.

10. slewis7

slewis7 Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    Retired!
    Houston, TX
    Yes, those are the same symptoms I am having.

11. Sanuku

Sanuku Well-Known Member

12. sampdx

sampdx Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2011
    #92 sampdx, Sep 6, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2011
    Controls need work. I don't know if I'm just missing hitting them right on (you have to be right on them) or if they just don't register sometimes. I think it may be a little of both because some maps seem worse than others.

13. plasmakirby3

plasmakirby3 Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2011
    Junior in High School
    Northern California
    Yes, there are quite a few differences between the two, but you will not find them in weapon choice. Comparing bazooka to dragon breath is not the proper analogy.

Pistol - Knight
    Machine Gun - Mage
    Dual pistols - Archer
    Shotgun - Gnome
    Mines - Unicorn
    Flamethrower - Dragon's Breath
    Katana - Bear
    Revolver - Ninja Kitty
    Minigun - Zombie
    Rocket Launcher - Cyclops
    Grenade Launcher - Bird
    Disc Gun - Monkey (this one was a bit shameful how the bananas can even backfire)
    Laser Cannon - Frog

14. Tesio

Tesio Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2009
    Just wanted to pop in and say I love this game! Really awesome stuff :). The art is beautiful and the game is fun. The controls can feel a bit weird sometimes, but that hasn't stopped me from playing it way too much :p.

15. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    Great vids. Like that we could see you improve dramatically in the space of 30 minutes as your confidence built up zipping around levels.

I knew reflexively that as you got the Dragon you would die using it cause it's not as effective as you'd first think. :)

The buttons and touch areas are a bit small for some people as pointed out in reviews. They work well for me when I'm in the zone but wish the devs would give us the option to increase their size in the customization menu.

The character speed and midair handling are pitch perfect. You can zip about from bottom to top with ease. It goes beyond mere competence to being pure fun.

They also need to smoothen out a couple game slowdown issues.
    The artstyle is really underrated. All the visual elements come together as truly charming and the music is fantastic. This game would do well on XBLA and PSN (though I like iOS gamers being catered to first). I wish AngryMobGames make a full fledged platformer someday once they iron out the kinks in this. :)

16. TheEvilNoob

TheEvilNoob Well-Known Member

Jul 25, 2010
    Noob assassinator
    My evil lair
    Sometimes the controls are unresponsive and sometimes it lags. Hopefully it will be fixed soon.

I am getting both games now :D both sound awesome.

17. Dyelon

Dyelon Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2010
    So what's the deal with beating this game?

It gives a Call of Duty prestige-like option to either stay as I am or start over/reset all my progress

What's the deal with this??

Also, I HATE that if I choose to go back to being a boy (stay as I am) it FORCES me to exit the level! I wanna get that 5th star for the level damnit!!

18. jumpman475

Aug 31, 2009
    Student
    Ithaca, NY
    Agreed. The artwork in this game is really great.

19. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    More reviews.

http://www.touchgen.net/muffin-knight-review
    [​IMG]
    http://www.appsmile.com/2011/09/05/muffin-knight-review-2/
    4 1/2 out of 5

--------
    A small followup on control issues: I agree with those that wish the game had the option to increase the size of the V buttons to your preference. That said, the virtual buttons (and the touch area) aren't any smaller than those in League of Evil. So I'm wondering if it's the speed of Muffin Knight that makes us feel they need larger controls to be 100% comfortable.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm currently 90-95% satisfied with the controls myself.

----------
    Did you or anyone else have any ideas for updates? I have some more ideas brewing but I'm playing through the game again to see if they would be feasible. :D

20. jumpman475

Aug 31, 2009
    Student
    Ithaca, NY
    I think you can choose to be a boy or stay a knight. I haven't tried both but i think choosing the boy option resets your profile and choosing knight lets you keep your stuff. I could be wrong tho.