Universal Muffin Knight (By Angry Mob Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by goiMot, Sep 1, 2011.

1. caanerud

caanerud Well-Known Member

Mar 28, 2011
    Interesting game. It's not what I thought it would be (a side scrolling platfromer sorta like Kirby mixed with Ghouls and Ghosts) so I was initially disappointed. It's a single screen arcade game, think the original Mario Bros only you transform into different characters every few seconds and shoot lots of baddies.

Nice graphics. Doesn't seem like there are a tremendous amount of levels (rushed to market to beat this Super Crate Box game?) but more are promised in an update.

The controls are fully customizable and you can move them around the screen wherever you want. Jumping is a bit floaty to me.

The customization aspect is nice, and leveling up the characters adds some nice depth to the game. I can definitely see me getting my 99 cents worth, although considering the file size it may not last too long on my iPad. It's 90 MB before install. I mean, the graphics are pretty but not THAT pretty.

2. Gegoben

Gegoben Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2010
    VIrginia
    Ooooo

Never saw this one coming, grabbing now!

3. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    So are all of the beasties playing pretty differently? What are some of the other power-ups one can encounter? Can an individual stage have more than two different types of baddies (regular and large)?

4. caanerud

caanerud Well-Known Member

Mar 28, 2011
    #24 caanerud, Sep 1, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2011
    They play fairly differently (different speeds and weapons). The archer shoots arrows in 2 directions, the wizard has rapid fire, the knight can charge up for a more powerful shot. They feel less like transformations and more like just grabbing different weapons.

Power-ups seem to be of the 'upgrade to double-jump' variety rather than pick-ups in the levels.

The stages usually have 3 varieties of enemies (I'm still early in the game). Small, big, and flying. When they make it to the bottom of the level they respawn at the top of the stage and move much faster.

5. Appletini

Appletini Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    MK actually has more levels than SCB does. That aside, the game is a retro arena-based arcade-style highscore-fest (same as SCB); even with extra levels it still probably won't end up with more than a dozen or so stages.

6. cabdog

cabdog Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2011
    Vid?

Any gameplay video? So, it's not a side-scrolling platformer and more of a 'fight waves of enemies in the same environment' kinda game?

7. araczynski

araczynski Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2009
    programmer
    omaha, ne
    this looks nice, not familiar with this SCB (besides the video of the gameplay), but personally, I got tired of the pixelated look back when i got tired of the atari 2600, back in the days.

to each their own, but i wouldn't waste my time with SCB if it was free.

8. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    I'm the opposite, grew up on the Atari/ZX Spectrum so i love the retro style look of graphics. Its all about the gameplay though, otherwise we would be playing X-Box 360 games non stop due to the amazing graphics rather than Space Invaders/Pac man on the ipod etc. All to do with gameplay. Plus you have that link in your signature which points to some very basic games on iOS, specially the game and watch remakes which some youngsters might find to be very boring but despite the poor graphics and the old fashioned gameplay, these are great copies of classic games

SCB looks great, hope it plays well.

Theres a gameplay video on the first page

Muffin Knight plays really well, a lot of fun, reminds me of old classic platform type games from the 80's

9. jumpman475

jumpman475 Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2009
    Student
    Ithaca, NY
    Game Impressions

To clear up any confusion, the game uses left and right arrows to move with jump and attack buttons as well. Controls are fully customizable so you can move the buttons wherever you want.

Basically your goal is to get the muffins (these unlock new levels/characters). Getting muffins or killing enemies will give you xp which will level up your player. As you level up you gain upgrade points to spend on either upgrading each of the 15 characters, or unlocking perks (double jump, slow-mo, etc).

Important to note that you play as the muffin knight, but each time you get a muffin you morph into a different character. Each character has a unique attack.

Yes Angry Mob took some inspiration from SCB, but in no way is this just a reskin. Angry Mob put in plenty of originality to separate the two.

As for multiplayer, only local is available for now. Online multiplayer will be added in the next update.

Hope that helped

10. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    I got it, and so far it's great! Great presentation, although hearing the grandmother drone on about game features is as grating as the narrator in Fat Princess on PSN (at least to me). You can customization the controls positions, and the handling is excellent without resorting to floaty physics. Grabbing 10 muffins in each area is trickier than you think, since your temptation is to simply run around blasting enemies mindlessly and suddenly end up boxed in on both sides. Haven't gotten to any bosses yet, just like jumping around and leveling up at the moment.

It's a shame multiplayer is only local at the moment. When it arrives, online multiplayer will be glorious!

Get this game. :)

11. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    #31 LordGek, Sep 2, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2011
    I want to second you on the "more than a straight clone". One aspect I like is that, beyond simply having 15 unique and upgradeable units and a sort of persistent character leveling system, none of the forms you can take feel useless. Like in SBC the basic pistol is pretty useless comparitively and the disc is much more of a pain than useful (although I love how SBC messages, "Sorry..." when you pickup the disc and I was thinking why would they apologize for this weapon it's great...ohhhh).

12. thegrave

thegrave Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2010
    Game Impressions

this is pretty awesome... really enjoy it.. quite fun even though its simple... not sure if itll get repetitive.. but i could easily picture some more game modes or powerups and stuff.

recommended.

13. plasmakirby3

plasmakirby3 Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2011
    Junior in High School
    Northern California
    Here's a video I recorded of the gameplay. Sorry about the bad quality and framerate; it's because of the recorder. The actual game runs very smoothly, although not as smoothly as Super Crate Box on PC. 90% of the weapons are identical to Super Crate Box's (they even made the banana weapon able to hurt yourself, just like the disk shooter in SCB. Game is still tons of fun though.

14. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    If you ever meet anyone ranting on about virtual controls not working on a touchscreen, give them this game for 5 minutes. It works PERFECTLY in a hectic situation, each level is like the last level before a boss fight, and never once did I blame the controls or even think about them once I customized them. Imagining this with some alternate control scheme is an exercise in comedy. The game rocks. :D

Hadn't realized multiplayer was coop, and that sounds fun, although I would be game for vs multiplayer with a few enemies and obstacles to avoid as well.
    Thanks for the vid.

15. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    #35 arta, Sep 2, 2011
    The grandmother voice has gotten less grating, I actually like her calling out the new avatar you become with each muffin. Speaking of which, it's a little hard spotting the icon that shows you where a muffin has appeared off screen. It isn't distinctive enough, and only after 15 minutes did I realise you were supposed to look for the indicator rather than check the entire level for the spawning muffin.

Until we get some direct feed footage from TheGameTrail or TouchGamePlay, here's a vid of the Android version.

16. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Game Impressions

I've got two weapon ideas the devs can figure out beasties to match.

1) Emperor Palpatine: A beast that sends continuous electrical sparks to any and all creatures within a pretty short range (even above or below the character if close enough). For balance purposes this should be pretty low damage a second.

2) Robbie the Robot: This guy would fire low damage homing plasma bolts to the nearest baddy.

17. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    My god how did I overlook this?!?!? AWESOME little one-screen style platformer!!! The controls and physics rock! Nifty leveling up system, and loads of characters and enemies!! =oO

Can't believe I was gonna skip on this just because of the name...

18. Appletini

Appletini Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    Names can be funny things; I know I'm not the only person who didn't bother looking at Swing the Bat because they thought it was about baseball. ^_^

19. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    Thread title should be updated to say "from the devs of Guerrilla Bob". No one knows who Angry Mob Games is.

20. plasmakirby3

plasmakirby3 Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2011
    Junior in High School
    Northern California
    #40 plasmakirby3, Sep 2, 2011
    Those who have played Super Crate Box will feel right at home with this game. Currently world rank #2 :D

I have a just a few issues with the game though:
    1. The dragon is pathetically weak compared to SCB's flamethrower, even when fully upgraded.
    2. The final transformation,
    raging bull
    , ****ing sucks! Not only that, you are forced to use it and can't even break out of it with a muffin! My scores have gotten much lower ever since I unlocked that damned thing.
    3. Not really a problem with the game itself (more of a touchscreen problem), but midair attacking is a lot more difficult than it is in SCB for PC. It's not reliable to hold down dragon's breath and magician fire while jumping up and down.