Universal Muffie the Maze Jumper (by MongaPop) [Level Editor WIP] ( ° °)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Mongapop, Sep 30, 2015.

1. CygnetSeven

CygnetSeven Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2010
    I played this last night and honestly I can't see it as anything but a tilt game, with the acceleration built into the angle of your tilt and all. I thought it was well done for what it is, a tilt platformer. A slider might work but would be difficult to use and all in all the tilt would be better, that's what the game was built around. I thought the levels and the artwork were great. Honestly, I'd love to see what the developer could do if he were to make a solid metroidvania styled platformer but to try to change this game into something it's not is a waste of time and effort, it won't work.

2. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    After reading this, I checked the game out on my wife's phone and pretty much thought the same thing. After playing for a while, the slider idea just wouldn't really feel right/work right - and would actually probably change the way the game works as a whole (level designs built around your tilt controls, enemy placement/movement speed/whatever...ect...

Unfortunately, there's only a very small group of platform fans that are really willing to give tilt controls a shot, and even less who will wind up enjoying the way the controls work. There was a platform type game a while ago that I wound up enjoying. Ninja something... I dunno. Ninja Boy maybe? It was a portrait mode tilt controlled platformer (almost a puzzler). Anyway... the point is that I wound up enjoying it, and always wanted to see a proper platformer from the dev. The game didn't do well, and I don't remember ever hearing about him again. But... that seems to be the way I feel about almost all tilt based platformers that I've played. 'I'd love to see a proper platformer built around this idea/these graphics' be it speedrunner, metroidvania, puzzle platformer, traditional platformer, ect... doesn't matter.

I do wish you the best of luck with your future games. Hopefully you'll be able to release them on the iDevice as well as any other platforms you might choose to go after. =oD

3. CygnetSeven

CygnetSeven Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2010
    This reminds me of the tilt platformer years ago called Tero. If you go back and read that thread, everyone moaned about the controls, so the dev spent months working on new ones. By the time he finished everyone had moved on and ignored it.

4. Mongapop

Mongapop Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Happened to me some time ago. Some users were requesting iCade support for Retroids. At least it was easy to implement.

Another problem is that, everytime you submit a new version (as you guys probably already know) stars from reviews are kind of reset, moved to "All Versions" tab. Having fewer stars (specially fewer than 5) for sure negatively impact downloads.

Assuming the new controls would not increase the viral effect of the app (user tell friends about the game), those changes actually reduce the number of downloads.

5. H4nd0fg0d

H4nd0fg0d Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2010
    Ya everything you guys have been discussing makes perfect sense, the game has been designed around tilt. Not a cut and dry fix. Good game, none the less.

6. Mongapop

Feb 25, 2014
    BTW, can you guys please rate the game here (Thread) and also @ the app store? that, would certainly mean a lot...

#####

7. Mongapop

Feb 25, 2014
    what about a map editor?

8. Are you still giving away free codes? How are sales going?

9. Mongapop

Feb 25, 2014
    Yep. just sent you through PM.

~130 per Day...

10. Mongapop

Feb 25, 2014
    Price Drop Detected!