Universal Ms. Splosion Man (by Twisted Pixel/Microsoft Corporation)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Shan82, Mar 28, 2013.

1. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Brain-'sploding!

2. Biggavelli

Biggavelli Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2011
    Boston,MA
    Agreed, it is pretty amazing.

3. bigrand1

bigrand1 Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    Ha! No more of that for ME! Just got a new iPad 4 with 128GB! Got SO tired of that crap! :)

4. retrogamer83

retrogamer83 Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2011
    United Kingdom
    Can anyone tell me how it performs on the iPad mini please?

5. themostunclean

themostunclean Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2012
    If anything AA is even more necessary on retina devices. Higher resolutions make object edges more crisp and clear. The stepped, pixelated edges on something without AA become much clearer on retina. Of course if its running at iPad 2 resolution on the 3 then the blur from pixel doubling may eliminate this sharpness.

I still can't see that looking good, but I'm an artist and have pretty high standards for visual quality. In my opinion, non-retina games looked pretty bad and very obvious on the iPhone/Touch 4.

6. Zetaspawn

Zetaspawn Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2009
    #66 Zetaspawn, Mar 28, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2013
    Splosion man as a series has always blown away maxplosion. I've felt like it was never even close. Plus of course they made splosion man WAY before maxplosion so....

7. Zetaspawn

Jan 11, 2009
    Well it does have mini challenges so you can increase your rank on each level. As in the challenges are level specific and replaying them and doing better and better each time ups your rank. But your mileage may vary on if that type of thing even matters to you. I am just finding it fun to play through it again since I played it so long ago, but it is pretty much the same game, if playing it again just because for only a couple bucks isn't enough for you, then you may not be super impressed.

8. CygnetSeven

CygnetSeven Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2010
    The best thing to do if you get cloned is to release your game and make it 10x better than theirs! Twisted Pixel has achieved their goal. Kudos!

9. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    #69 awp69, Mar 28, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2013
    Played the first game on the 360 and it was a blast. For some reason never picked up the sequel. Would love to have it on the go if it would have worked on my 3GS.

Glad to see that Microsoft, even with their Windows phones, isn't afraid to develop / publish on iOS. Tentacles: Enter the Dolphin was also a fantastic game.

10. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    That makes no sense to me whatsoever. The lower the resolution, the sharper the jaggies. If the individual pixels are small enough to be invisible to the naked eye, edges will look perfectly smooth. Most retina games have no AA.

11. CygnetSeven

CygnetSeven Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2010
    Your crazy, Ms Splosion is hot! :D (pun intended)

12. tarasis

tarasis Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2011
    I have the first one on the Xbox and been meaning to pick the second one up for ages, so grabbing it for iOS seems a good plan (ESP as my kids aren't able enough for the multiplayer on the Xbox)

Thanks Twisted Pixel/Microsoft for releasing this!

13. shine330

shine330 New Member

Mar 6, 2013
    Hahaha i think it would be funny to play as him too. Ms. Splosion man says some funny stuff though

14. Bool Zero

Bool Zero Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    Yeah, that's why I am even remotely inclined to buying it again, because it is so cheap, and its portable to boot. My only personal dilemma is whether or not I'll actually bother to play through it again or if it will fall into the ever expanding several thousands of apps, I fear I will buy it, not play it and inevitably delete it.

Thanks for the info about the challenges and your personal input!

15. Llamaentity

Llamaentity Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2013
    My preliminary mini-review:

Have played 45 minutes so far but really enjoying it. Lots to do, what with the challenges, and each level has a nice length to it.

On iPhone 5, it can be sometimes easy to lose track of where exactly you are, but it hasn't actually made me mess up yet (sploding objects near a wall when the camera is zoomed out quite a bit, for instance, can make it hard to see your tiny character, but you can just splode some and wall jump and see where you are right away).

The controls work well, too, so once you've got a rhythm going, you can almost feel where you are, even amongst all of the splosions and mayhem.

Fun platforming puzzles, excellent graphic design, humorous dialogue....

Recommended for sure if you like excellent platformers!

16. B3NDoX

B3NDoX Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2013
    I don't get why this is from Microsoft?

17. Zetaspawn

Jan 11, 2009
    Because they published it in the first place so they have publishing rights.

18. killercow

killercow Well-Known Member

Also because they bought Twisted Pixel.

19. andsoitgoes

andsoitgoes Well-Known Member

O. M. G.

This is what gaming should be. Am I keen on the IAP? No. But the game is AWESOME!

20. Zetaspawn

Jan 11, 2009
    Oh yeah I forgot that part. Kind of more important than my point.