Universal Mr. Traffic (by :DUMPLING design)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Boardumb, Apr 1, 2022.

1. dumpling

dumpling Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2013
    Game Designer, Game Maker, Director
    Shanghai, China / Sheffield, UK
    HO HO HO! Unwrap the TOY COLLECTION this holiday:

preview_01 2.jpg

Here's what's new in Ver.2.4.0
    • Unlock FESTIVE, DOLLY, HOWDY and TINTOY TEDs!
    • Retired the ‘3 lives system’ and removed ‘auto-Ads’
    • Lots of COIN surprises to find and collect
    SHOP for Surprise Boxes…
    • … pick a series and buy with Coins or IAP
    • Get bonus coins from Ads (+25) or any IAP (+250)
    VIP Box (IAP) to unlock every item
    • Complete MISSIONS (achievements) to win coins…
    • … special missions to unlock special costumes.
    • Beat daily RIVALS to win coins…
    • … see other players scores and outfits
    • Tons of UI polish, performance and bug fixes.

Link: https://apps.apple.com/us/app/mr-traffic/id152451858

Welcome to our BIGGEST update! When me and Jake came back to Mr. Traffic in the fall we knew we wanted to take another look at the play loop; unlocking things felt disconnected from gameplay and the ‘3 lives system (forced Ads) was also the primary point that players exit the game, and while Ads have been our primary revenue from Mr. Traffic, we wanted to remove anything that gets in the way of actually playing and enjoying the game.

First thing we tested was COINS! We loved the feel and balance of collecting stuff while managing traffic and they perfectly reward lots of micro actions in the game; near misses, hatching eggs, popping ghosts, playing musical numbers…
    Naturally we added a SHOP for players to spend coin on Surprises Boxes and to give players more control we added the option to select which ‘series’ to get, increasing the chance of getting the items you have your eye on.

For bigger rewards we reworked MISSIONS to offer payouts equivalent to unlocking 1 Surprise Box, these are a mix of cumulative progression and specific objectives, and we’ll be adding more outfit specific missions in the future too. We also added some special costumes too, these aren’t unlocked in Surprise Boxes and require you to complete special objectives. Can you unlock them all?

Lastly, we thought it would be fun if other players actually showed up in your game, showing off their outfits and bragging their scores, so now each day new RIVALS (other players) show up to challenge you, and you can beat them to get more coin!

Those are the headlines and there have been a ton of other tweaks and changes to traffic, events, UI… have we finished tinkering…? Almost! We have 6 months of costumes ready to go - including some personal favourites in February’s ‘OTAKU Collection’ - and we’ll continue to develop new surprises and missions to win more coins with each update. We’d love to give the game a ‘lick of paint’ too, I’m pretty sure some of Jakes’ original Coder Art’ is in the game.

What would you guys like to see…?

Thanks for reading, have a Great Holidays, and we’ll see you January 18th for the New Year, New Frontier update
    -travis

P.S. here’s some BTS for Festive Ted, a scribble/idea from my 7yo that we put into the game for him as a Surprise Christmas Gift
    tree_ted.jpg tree_concept_01.jpg costume_icon_Tree02.png Achievement_icon_Tree02.png

Attached Files:

2. ShinHadoukin

ShinHadoukin Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2015
    This kind of developer is who we should be supporting.

Fun game, lots of love and care...Thank You & Merry Christmas!!!

dumpling likes this.
  3. dumpling

Apr 7, 2013
    Thanks for the comment! I wasn't sure people were reading these posts, but we wanted to share some of the thinking behind the things we're doing, and not just marketing blurb. We're still just playing and tinkering to find the fun like anyone else, if people enjoy the BTS details perhaps we should share some of what's been keeping us busy with new Dashy Crashy...?

In the mealtime, here's more of those pesky trees!
    https://x.com/travisxuryan/status/1741391143865401354?s=46

4. Stronsay

Stronsay Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2015
    I read all the Mr Traffic posts.
    Yes, absolutely share Dashy Crashy develoment.
    Thanks for all the trees!

dumpling likes this.
  5. dumpling

Apr 7, 2013
    We've been playing around with a new camera for Mr. Traffic - what do you think?

-travis

6. ShinHadoukin

Feb 20, 2015
    Is
    Is that still in portrait or will it be landscape? If landscape, will the portrait option remain?

7. dumpling

Apr 7, 2013
    So... we're currently playing with being able to rotate the device to auto switch between portrait/landscape (ala Dashy Crashy). On top of that we're thinking of offering camera option to be '2D' (like the current game view) and '3D' (this new isometric view). Just tinkering at this point...

-travis

ShinHadoukin likes this.
  8. ShinHadoukin

Feb 20, 2015
    I like the new look. I typically like portrait but options are great.

dumpling likes this.
  9. dumpling

Apr 7, 2013
    thanks, watch this space I'll ping an update once we've cracked the dynamic portrait view and camera scaling
    -travis

10. devzx7

devzx7 New Member

Feb 9, 2024
    Female
    I also like the look of the new 3D view but maybe you could do a Mr Traffic 2 and include it in that instead of adding it to the current game - much like Donut did with Traffic Rush (2D view) and Traffic Rush 2 (3D view).

I'd also like to see more outfits to collect because I've got them all and have a massive stash of coins from playing every day and have a need to spend them. :D