iPad Moxie is out (word game)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Carlos-Sz, Feb 22, 2009.

1. Carlos-Sz

Carlos-Sz Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2008
    #1 Carlos-Sz, Feb 22, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2009
    Link

$1.99

First impression:

This is indeed an unique and well balanced word game.

The gameplay is simple and has a strategic touch. You lose 30 points if you make a word that is not in the game dictionary. That's nice and makes you away from trying randomly words.

Not too long, not too short. You decide the rhythm. It's relaxing.

The interface is very polished. No music but subtle sounds (perfect I may say).

But nothing is perfect. It does not have online high score, tho the game engine seems to not allow score higher than 2000 (a bit more maybe).

In addition, the game incorporates that bad habit that does not save the last username input in the high score table. That needs a fix as soon as possible because it can break that flawless experience that Moxie delivers as soon as you start it for the first time.

[​IMG]

2. Forerunnerz

Forerunnerz Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    ..?(mts)

3. jawslover

jawslover Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2008
    JERICHO, KS
  4. Forerunnerz

Forerunnerz Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    There we go.

5. Lukearcade22

Lukearcade22 Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    Student/Young Video Game Developer
    United Kingdom
    ITS OUT, i a buying it now immediately

blue ox, is going to be very happy now that it is released

6. Lukearcade22

Feb 8, 2009
    United Kingdom
    I have just played my first round of the game

and i must say its brilliant for its price, its a strategic word game that requires a lot of thinking

it has rankings (not online)

I just scored 1109

very close to #1

I shall review this in the app store immediately

great work Chris :D

7. ficbot

ficbot Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2008
    I bought it too after watching the video. I really like it! It is sort of like Lock N Roll but with words. I would love to have a separate mode where you can get points for words up and down AND across simultaneously. Also, it would be nice not to have to retype your name every time you get a high score; most games remember the last thing you put in. Other than that, very happy with it. It is a fun game.

8. Carlos-Sz

Nov 5, 2008
    This is indeed an unique and well balanced word game.

The gameplay is simple and has a strategic touch. You lose 30 points if you make a word that is not in the game dictionary. That's nice and makes you away from trying randomly words.

Not too long, not too short. You decide the rhythm. It's relaxing.

The interface is very polished. No music but subtle sounds (perfect I may say).

But nothing is perfect. It does not have online high score, tho the game engine seems to not allow score higher than 2000 (a bit more maybe).

In addition, the game incorporates that bad habit that does not save the last username input in the high score table. That needs a fix as soon as possible because it can break that flawless experience that Moxie delivers as soon as you start it for the first time.

9. HardcoreEricXXX

HardcoreEricXXX Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Virginia
    When was it submitted to the store?

10. markx2

markx2 Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2008
    Very nice game, couple of suggestions:

1. On the Menu, 2 of the options boot you from the game and to the browser. Could that be indicated in some way?

2. Could the voice (moxie / twaddle) be optional?

My wife has since removed the Touch from me and is playing her second game now so her vote is a positive one :)

11. ibelongintheforums

ibelongintheforums Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2009
    wait.........it was approved on the weekend??

maybe there is still hope.......

12. We can always dream for 8 letters right?

Attached Files:

13. turakm

turakm Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Worth picking up??

14. tangerine

tangerine Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Definitely worth picking up. I'm having a great time with it.

15. blue ox

blue ox Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2008
    Hi Everyone,

I'm so glad Moxie has finally been released. I really appreciate the nice words and feedback. THANK YOU to everyone who has taken a chance on this game with their hard-earned money. I really hope Moxie finds a niche.

Yes I'm sure there's an upper limit to the score somewhere. I know for sure it's above 2000. My best score is a little over 1800, but my mom's current top score is 2408. She definitely take a strategic approach in order to score this high, using lots of Moxie words and sacrifice Twaddles.

This is going to be fixed in the first update. Also related to the high score, I'm going to add a marker to show you which high score was the one just achieved so it's a little less confusing.

I'm glad you liked it Luke! I was a little worried it wouldn't live up to your expectations. :eek: Your score for your first game is really great. Many folks only score 400-500 for the first few games until they get the hang of it!

I plan to incorporate online high scores in an update. I recognize this is an important feature that helps improve the game experience for many players. But once my mom gets on the leaderboard I don't know if anyone else will have a chance LOL! :D

February 17

1. I'm open to suggestions. How do you think I could do this given the screen real estate I have?

2. Yes I'm going to add an option to turn sounds on and off.

Be careful what you wish for...

Share and enjoy,

16. HJJ

HJJ Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2008
    This is exactly what I thought when I first heard the developer's description.

Seems like a good concept.

17. Lukearcade22

Feb 8, 2009
    United Kingdom
    I have played Moxie at least 5 times today

great when playing at school

my friends all had ago and said they loved it :D

If you want any update suggestions, i will be ahppy to help ;)

18. GatorDeb

GatorDeb Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2009
    Las Vegas, NV, USA
    Played and liked it but I have one question. It takes points away from making illegal words... but how can it tell if you meant to make that word or if you're just building up for a longer word?

Thanks! :)

19. Carlos-Sz

Nov 5, 2008

Congratulations to your mom!!

I'm glad that you'll fix/improve the high score input name procedure.

Great game!

20. gnadenlos

gnadenlos Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2008
    From the video it looks like the best thing is to skip through all letters a lot to get the best ones. Is there some sort of penalty or a limit for skipping through the letters?