Moving Applications from one computer to another

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by greenhornet9, Jan 25, 2009.

1. greenhornet9

greenhornet9 Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2009
    Hey guys. I bought and downloaded an application on a different computer than I normally use. But it is the same account. Is there a way to move the application to my main computer or do I just have to buy it again?

Thanks

2. idespair

idespair Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2008
    You can download any apps bought on your account on any machine which you have authorised for iTunes. If you have your iPod/iPhone synced to multiple machines then it will ask you to copy any apps on it to the computer whenever you sync (otherwise it will delete them).

3. arono

arono Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2008
    Sam's town
    You have to give like a permission to your new computer in "store" and then you can just re-download it (for free of course) or copy the bougths to your pc from the iphone / itouch (there's an option when you connect it)

4. blurb35

blurb35 Member

Jan 29, 2009
    You can download again all the application you bought (at no cost) at the other computer if you authorize it. All you need to do is login again to your account and authorize the computer. You can authorize up to 5 computers at the same time. If the different computer is one you no longer will use, remember to de-authorize it so you return 1 to your itunes account authorization pool.

5. greenhornet9

greenhornet9 Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2009
    i just wanted to bring this thread back so someone could answer my question...I know you guys said i can download an app on any computer if i already bought it on one. But on a different computer...it still says buy app on the app page. Will i be charged if i click it or will it just download for free?

Thanks

6. Mew2468

Mew2468 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2008
    Vancouver, BC
    It will download for free. After you click "buy", it'll say "you've already downloaded this app/version of this app, would you like to download it for free?" or something to that effect.

7. Need

Need Well-Known Member

Dec 22, 2008
    Even if you erase all the apps on your iphone, you can download them directly to your iphone for free. If you just need them to be on a computer, the easier way is to just do a "Transfer Purchases from iPod" in iTunes. It is under "File" menu. That will backup all the apps on the iPhone to the new computer.