Movie transfers to iphone?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by ReformatPlanet, Oct 4, 2008.

1. ReformatPlanet

ReformatPlanet Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2008
    Film Producer
    NJ/NY
    Anyone know of the best way to transfer movie files to the iphone? I've tried running them through a Final Cut export to iphone format, but the quality seems to degrade a lot.

2. NotYou

NotYou Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Colorado
    Go to export and choose Quicktime conversion. In the format menu pick mpeg-4. I haven't put any of my own work in my iPhone, but I'm pretty sure mp4 should work on iPhone in general.

Make sure you still set your compression settings and all that. Just make sure it's mpeg-4.

3. tosui

tosui Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Toronto, Canada
    Handbrake is better

I agree that the quality from Quicktime isn't great - which is odd considering it's from Apple!

I've been using Handbrake (http://handbrake.fr/) which is both better and free! I use it for all my dvd-iphone rips. (Of course, in Canada, that's perfectly legal!)

4. NotYou

NotYou Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Colorado
    I use Handbrake for that too. I work in film, so I'm pretty against pirating movies, but, as far as I know, it's legal as long as you don't plan to distribute.

Handbrake is pretty amazing though. The quality of video that comes out of it is almost identical to the DVD. It's free too, which is even more amazing.

5. troile00

troile00 Member

Sep 11, 2008
    Well, it is legal as long as you do not have to bypass dvd CSS to do it. If the movie is already in an electronic format, there are no laws against converting it (as far as I know). However, to rip a dvd that has that kind of copy protection is illegal. It is not the fact that you are changing the format though or taking it off the dvd, just that you have to "bypass" the CSS to do it. There are exemptions that libraries and other government agencies qualify for, but normal folk do not qualify.

6. ReformatPlanet

ReformatPlanet Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2008
    Film Producer
    NJ/NY
    Thanks for the advice! I'll give handbrake a try.

7. Tila-Tequila

Tila-Tequila New Member

Oct 10, 2008
    Student
    Around the world
    Hmmm Handbreake is pretty cool!

8. nickels

nickels Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2008
    Male
    Product Designer/Mobile Game Developer
    PA, USA
  9. jlake02

jlake02 Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2008
    Manager
    Los Angeles
    I use PDQ DVD Software and it works great. However, if the free one is good, def. use that! :)

10. Dimsum

Dimsum Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    Yeah this is what I use too. Every file I have thrown at it - it happily converts very quickly and happily transfers over to iTunes and the iPhone. It has simple and advanced modes depending on how knowledgeable you are with your converting and best - its free and regularly updated!