iPad Movie Challenge, Powered by The Inquizitor Engine

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by JuncoPartner, Nov 11, 2008.

1. JuncoPartner

JuncoPartner Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2008
    Developer, Redwind Software
    Dublin, Ireland
    The revolutionary Movie Challenge, Powered by the groundbreaking Inquizitor Engine has hit the App Store today!

Full disclosure, I am one of the developers behind the game!

If you guys have a buck ninety nine and 7Mb of space going a begging I cannot recommend this game highly enough!

Tired of static, repetitive, aimless trivia on your iPhone/iPod touch? Go up against the Inquizitor Engine, go up against the world wide mobile web, go up against every self proclaimed movie-guru in the Movie Challenge Community.

Finally a challenge worthy of your hard earned cash. Finally an application deserving of that last 7Mb you've been wanting to fill.

Link to YouTube video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZVvh_ykAes

Link to Movie Challenge in iTunes: http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=294818493&mt=8

2. vandy1997

vandy1997 Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2008
    NJ
    Looks like fun. I'm not a movie buff, but I'll try it out. I'm not trying to be overly anal, but please spell/grammar check your questions. One of the screenshots for your apps has a grammar mistake. The question reads: 'Citizen Kane' won only one of it's nine Oscar nominations? . The word "it's" needs to be changed to "its", and since this is not a question, it should have a period at the end instead of a question mark. I know that people will be able to submit questions, and those submissions will likely have mistakes in them. But the questions that the developers are providing should be free from spelling/grammar mistakes - and the questions that you submit in the screenshots for your app should definitely be perfect.

3. JuncoPartner

Nov 2, 2008
    Dublin, Ireland
    You are absolutely correct, I've actually fixed the spelling in that question to its and it'll be updated when the first question pack ships. I never even noticed it in the screen grab, I will update that now. However the ? is correct instead of the period as it is a question! It is a true or false question.
    Thanks for the spot though. I would be the first to notice that sort of stuff myself, but when you are one of a two man team dealing with thousands of questions sometimes little things slip buy!

4. jborislow

jborislow Well-Known Member

Oct 28, 2008
    Eh... not exactly... it's still a statement... it should be a period...

5. vandy1997

Aug 27, 2008
    NJ
    Not a problem. I just pointed it out since it is one of the screenshots in iTunes. I purchased the app and will try it out tonight. Cheers! :D

I'm not sure if you are developing other apps, but an app that would be fun is one that would tell you different things that happened in a certain year (related to politics, movies, music, science, sports, etc.), and you would have to guess the year. Then you could also pick a year, and it would provide a list of choices, and you would have to guess which of the choices occurred in that year. That would be the concept, more or less. Maybe you would get 50 or 100 questions (you could choose), and you would get a percentage rating at the end based upon how many you answered correctly. The high score would be based upon a percentage of questions answered correctly.

6. JuncoPartner

Nov 2, 2008
    Dublin, Ireland
    I think we could argue this point all night, but that's not why I'm here. If it's enough to put you off checking the game out then fair enough. Otherwise, thanks for your custom and I hope you enjoy despite the grammar not quite being to your taste :)

7. JuncoPartner

Nov 2, 2008
    Dublin, Ireland
    #7 JuncoPartner, Nov 11, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2008
    I like this idea a lot I must say. I think there is tremendous value in applications that you can just pick up and play like this would be, and I hope Movie Challenge is! My personal favourite game at the moment is Fieldrunners, but it's really one that requires dedicating a fair amount of time to, even with the save feature.

8. vandy1997

Aug 27, 2008
    NJ
    Yes, I know that you can ask a question in the form of a statement - especially if you use inflection when speaking - such as in the case of the following: "He really won the race?" (if you ask in disbelief) as opposed to "He really won the race." (if you are making a statement). In the 'Citizen Kane' example, it is more of a statement than a question. And the user has to guess as to whether the statement is true or false. If you were to ask it as a questions, you would ask "Did 'Citizen Kane' win only one of its nine Oscar nominations?". That would be more appropriate. However, that is not as much of an issue to me as using the wrong form of the possessive pronoun.

9. vandy1997

Aug 27, 2008
    NJ
    I just saw your last post, so ignore my last post - haha! Yes - with respect to the iPhone, it is great to have some apps that you can play for a short while during your commute. I enjoy trivia games because you get to learn something new, and, since I don't know much about movies, I'm willing to learn more!

Thank you again for your contribution!

10. jlake02

jlake02 Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2008
    Manager
    Los Angeles
    Looks interesting! :)

11. Someone needs to take a bite for the team.

12. vandy1997

Aug 27, 2008
    NJ
    I have only completed one game, but I enjoyed it. It doesn't consist of answering an endless number of movie trivia questions, and there is actually an end to each game.

You have a grid of Categories (5 rows and 4 columns), and the goal is to successfully answer questions in order to make a path of successfully-answered Category squares from the top row to the bottom row (the Categories are Action, Sci-Fi, Horror, Romance, Comedy, Directors, Actors, Actresses, Drama, and Animated). Initially, only the four top squares can be played. If you successfully answer a question within a Category square, you get credit for that square, and the squares around that square will be unlocked and playable. If you answer the question incorrectly, that Category square is no longer playable.

Now there are different game types within each Category square. The Game Types are Jumble (rearrange jumbled words), Order (drag and drop certain events into the correct order), Preview (reveal the name by guessing letters - similar to hangman), Quotes (guess who said it or which movie it belongs to), Trivia (movie trivia), True/False, and What Year (select year with scroll wheel). In order to get credit for a Category square, you have to answer one Game Type question (Easy Mode), two Game Type questions (Medium Mode), or three Game Type questions (Hard Mode) correctly.

You also have Power-Ups (you get some initially, and you can earn them as you play and gain points). The Power-Ups are Shuffle (shake phone to change the Category or Game Type), Take 1 (one wrong answer is removed), Take 2 (two wrong answers are removed), 5 Seconds (get 5 extra seconds to answer), 10 Seconds (get 10 extra seconds to answer).

You get points for answering questions correctly (and lose points for answering incorrectly), and you also get points for unused Power-Ups once you finish the game (i.e., once you reach the bottom row).

While you can reach the bottom row by answering questions in 5 Category squares correctly (a straight path from the top row to the bottom row), it gets more difficult if you answer questions incorrectly and the Category squares become unplayable.

There was a lot of thought put into this app, and it worked well for me. I enjoyed it, and I'm sure that movie buffs will really appreciate the different Categories and the Game Types. Although it takes a bit to explain the game, the gameplay becomes pretty clear once you begin to play it. There are also instructions within the game.

There are a couple of questions that I will ask for the developer to answer. It asked me for my e-mail address at the end (I'm assuming that that was to put a high score up?), but I would rather just use a player name instead of an e-mail address. There is an option to place your high score on a global leaderboard. Also, it asks to turn on Location Services to obtain your location. What is the reason for that? Maybe the deveoper can let us know why. It may be for the developers to know the locations in which people are playing the game.

Overall, I enjoyed the game. There is a definite end to each game, and there are different Game Types that the user can choose within each Category. It seems like no two games will be alike, since there are many choices (based on choosing different Categories, Game Types, and Power-Ups). I only played once, so I don't know if questions will be repeated. However, if there is a 5,000 question database, that should not happen for a while. Users can also submit movie trivia questions from within the app, but I didn't submit any.

I believe that it will appeal to movie buffs and puzzle game buffs. :D

13. JuncoPartner

Nov 2, 2008
    Dublin, Ireland
    First off thank you muchly for taking the time to play and especially detail your experience and the game play here. It is hugely appreciated.

To answer your questions.
    a) The email address is being used as part of a composite key on the server side to try and keep high scores unique. I know it's not ideal to have to enter an email address, but we didn't take the decision lightly. Also from past experience with consumer facing websites it keeps down the number of BillyBigBallsHotSex type usernames that some people like using. FYI, if it makes it any easier, in the iPhone settings menu there is an option to save your email address so you wont have to keep entering it.

b) Again this is used for the leaderboards. On your local board you will see where you were (at the moment we just filter off at country) when you posted the score. The real value however is in the global leaderboard where every entry is tagged with a location. In future updates we plan to make the global board searchable/filterable by location so you can compare yourself to a more local sampling. If you choose to not use location services, the location on the scoreboard will just read unknown.

I'd like to stress that this is all this information is being used for. Also that we will never ever contact anyone of those email addresses or pass it on to a third party. The function is purely for keeping a clean and unique global leaderboard.

14. mckevittster

mckevittster Member

Nov 13, 2008
    I'm a big fan of trivia games and I have to say I'd been very disappointed with what the App Store had to offer, until I played Movie Challenge. It's the first quiz game I've played where I don't get repeat questions. And also, with the different game types, it has plenty to keep you coming back for more. I'm a big movie buff so I love the idea of being able to submit my own questions too. Also, the 1.99 price tag is deceptive as I wasn't expecting it to look and sound anywhere near as good as it does. This is a must for anyone like me who's been waiting for a decent trivia game to hit the App Store. If the Devs deliver on their promise of regular new question packs this is gonna be one of my most played iPhone games. I would like to have the option of clearing the game stats and local scoreboards, but other than that I'm very happy. Keep up the good work!

15. JuncoPartner

Nov 2, 2008
    Dublin, Ireland
    Thanks for the kind words and suggestions!
    The next update will give you the ability to clean off your statistics tracker and start again!

-Conor

16. JuncoPartner

Nov 2, 2008
    Dublin, Ireland
  17. jborislow

jborislow Well-Known Member

Oct 28, 2008
    I just purchased the game and I think it is cefinitely one of the best Trivia games out... well... It's definitely the best that I have played...