iPad Motoracer update is out

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by jwbrent, Nov 21, 2008.

1. jwbrent

jwbrent Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2008
    California
    I like the new steering option; makes it easier for me to stay on the track. I don't like the new ad for Plank in the main menu...

2. jwbrent

Sep 16, 2008
    California
    ...not to rant but if I pay for an app I don't like seeing ads. If a developer wants to showcase a new app, make a menu option so you have to choose to see it.

maybe it's only me... :rolleyes:

3. don_k

don_k Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    How's the new control like? Is there a touch control option now?
    I hate steering with accelero as I can't play it anywhere.

And yes, I agree with you re the ads. It's fine if it's free, not paid.

4. jwbrent

Sep 16, 2008
    California
    There isn't a touch control option. The new steering setting is an off/on button with the default being on. It tightens up the turns so you don't ride so wildly around them (at least for me ;)).

I was hoping for a touch setting like in Pole Position where you move your finger left and right to turn. Works really well for me.

Thanks for the support on the ads. It appears quite a few developers visit this forum so the more we talk about what we like and dislike, the better the chance we will be happy to pay for their future output.

5. noah21c

noah21c Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2008
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Hopefully it's a sign of more updates to come. In particular Flick Bowling. I want the new update to come out soon with the real phyics on the pins.

6. Everydaynormalguy

Everydaynormalguy Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2008
    Student By Day, Masked Vigilante By Night
    Phoenix, AZ, USA
    Finally. Gonna re-install this game into my ipod, see what happens...

7. Chiller ONE

Chiller ONE Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Nurse
    Sweden
    Same here... But I wouldn't get my hopes up.

8. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    I re-installed it to see if it was any better and so far I have to say that I can't tell any difference. I still find the accelerometer controls to be annoying and difficult to use (not just in this racer.) If they added touchscreen controls of some sort I'm sure I would like this game a lot more. As it is I get to the second race and after a few tries and lots of weaving back and forth and feeling out of control, I stop playing. Soon to be deleted again. Black Mamba Racer remains the only fun racing game I've played.

9. Gotta be honest, I can't tell any difference either. However, I personally never had a problem with the control in the first place. It took a few races to get used to it when I first played it, but have been fine with it ever since.
    I quite like the game. It just doesn't blow me away (and what the hell are all those cut-scenes about?)

10. Hippieman

Hippieman Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2008
    Senior Producer, Designer
    San Francisco
    The new controls are really only helpful if you oversteer. If you already have fine control, you won't notice a difference.

As for the ads, they are only for our own games, and only on one screen. We want people to know we have other great games they will love.

11. lynch

lynch Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2008
    California
    before i install the update

how are the ads implemented?

what other companies have done to show the user their other games, there is a button that is a link...they dont normally flash their ads

unless you are going to implement them into the loading

12. I know others have moaned about the ad, it really doesn't bother me at all. Basically you see an icon for another game in the bottom left corner of the start screen, and that's it. It is non-obtrusive, and acceptable in my opinion.
    There's nothing wrong in the developer advertising their other games so long as it's doesn't get in the way of the menu or the game, and this does neither.

13. Renare

Renare Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2008
    Tech Support
    Wilmore, KY
    Personally I think we complain too much about ads... I have cable television, I pay it monthly, I get commercials everyday... It's life. If it doesn't affect gameplay, who cares imo?

14. Exactly. For those who haven't got the game yet, here is what we are discussing...
    [​IMG]
    In this case, it is advertising Flick Fishing. It's not in the way of the menu, and goes away the moment you click an option. It's something I'm not bothered about at all.

15. lynch

lynch Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2008
    California
    well your talking about a service that you pay for
    where as this is a product
    you did't buy a car, expecting it to stop running every 15 minutes so it can tell you about a new car that is coming out
    i know products and services are becoming blurred as they merge...
    but its the principle that i paid for a product, and not a service

but an ad like mentioned above will be okay
    as long as it doesn't flash at the user after every round, or pops up in game play
    if that were to happen, it should be free rather then having the user pay for it, and still get hammered with ads

although, apparently what some developers, not this developer thank god...are doing in there shady business practices of having people pay for an app, then turning it into a demo...which irks me and is an abuse of the app update system...i'm speaking about the kinwits app

16. Hippieman

Nov 6, 2008
    San Francisco
    Yes, they are only on that screen.

They are also hard coded into the game, not being pulled from the net. They are also only for Freeverse games, made by us.

It's also how we can afford to keep our games at $.99, and we plan to to keep putting out $.99 games for a while.

17. lynch

lynch Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2008
    California
    #17 lynch, Nov 21, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2008
    that is perfectly fine
    unobtrusive

thank you for hardcoding them, i hate those apps that will not let you play unless you have wifi, for the sole purpose that they need to stream ads...makes playing on the touch kinda hard if you aren't around wifi

and thank you for the enjoyable games at such a discount :)

18. Chiller ONE

Chiller ONE Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Nurse
    Sweden
    Nothing changed...

Nope, this is still the same shitty, atrocious game that I purchased at full price when it came out, deleted from my iPhone immediately, and then they dropped the price to one buck. Unfricking believable.:mad:

19. Hippieman

Nov 6, 2008
    San Francisco
    I'm sorry you feel that way, but you are very much wrong about nothing changed. But can't please all of the people all of the time.

20. I actually quite enjoy it myself. I don't think it's the best racer, but good for a quick blast. It was overpriced when it first came out, but is at the right price level now imo.
    I think on track 4, the one where you are on a cliff-side road, there is always a pack of cars driving on the rocks at the left hand side of the track halfway through the level. It's always bugged me, and I always thought it would be fixed and never has.