iPad Motocross Challenge = Excitebike?

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Chiller ONE, Dec 19, 2008.

1. Chiller ONE

Chiller ONE Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Nurse
    Sweden
  2. rIcHrAnDoM

rIcHrAnDoM Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    good question, I checked the screenshots out and didn't see any ramps. They are listed in the description, however I doubt it. Excitebike 2 ( with the level editor?) now I'd pay 10 bucks for an accelerometer/touch version of that!!!! Cheesy graphics and sound intact!:D

3. rIcHrAnDoM

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    My bad there is one ramp in the screenshots.

4. jecebn

jecebn Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Kansas City, MO
    Excitebike is actually the first thing that popped into my mind when I saw this game. Can't wait to see some reviews or gameplay vids to see if they really are similar

5. mavis

mavis Well-Known Member

Add me to the list. If this is anything like Excitebike, I'm there.

6. HerbertKornfeld

HerbertKornfeld Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2008
    First Impressions

There is a video at the developer's site.

The initial impression of Excite Bike is understandable, but the gameplay elements look a little different. The environments in this game are much more varied, and there doesn't seem to be an element of overheating here.

It looks like your goal in the game is to keep the balance of your bike, so that you don't crash. You do this by adjusting your speed and your tilt. In this regard, I think the fairer comparison is with Bike or Die. And it seems you can go at your own pace, since the clock is counting up, not down.

The graphics look decent enough, and it seems to animate nicely. But there seems, to me, to be a strange disconnect between the rendered foreground elements, and the more realistic backgrounds. To my eye, it seems an odd design decision to use such varying styles together.

All this is just from the video, though. The game looks fun, but I haven't pulled the trigger yet.

7. rIcHrAnDoM

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    Man, I'm not usu. On here this early(6:50am est) but this seems a higher caliber of users than the brood on here over night.

HKornfield, I knew something about this felt weird I couldn't put my finger on it, good description "disconnected".

I'm not saying this game isn't quality and I immediately drew the BoD 2 comparison.

8. Kuratsu

Kuratsu Well-Known Member

Nov 4, 2008
    College Student
    #8 Kuratsu, Dec 19, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2008
    Well first off I wouldn't necessarily compare it to excitebike. After reading the description of the game and watching the video this GREATLY reminds me of Motocross Maniacs for the Gameboy.

The description I read of Motocross describes "N" boxes that act as nitro. This is clearly demonstrated in Motocross Maniacs.

"While boxes and seesaws for instance need to be avoided or crossed with care, canisters, labeled with 'N' can be picked up by riding right through them. The 'N' is for 'Nitro', and Nitro may give you the essential extra boost to jump that final canyon towards the end of a level."

I believe there were two sequels, one for GBC and one for GBA.

If this is indeed anything like Motocross Maniacs this may have decent replayability as I spent many a day playing this when I was younger, and actually took it to college with me as it still provides quite a bit of entertainment for me.

However if this is not like Motocross Maniacs I would hope that Motocross Maniacs or something similar makes it to iPhone/iPod Touch platform.

9. HerbertKornfeld

HerbertKornfeld Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2008
    Speaking of Motocross Maniacs, there was a similar game called Motocross Challenge developed by DHG Games for the GBA. It wasn't an official sequel or anything, but it played similar. And apparently, they couldn't find a publisher willing to make it, due in large part to the DS and the flagging GBA sales. So they released it into the wild free of charge.

They used to host the ROM on their website, but it looks like they've pulled it now that they're releasing an updated version for the DS.

Here's a vid from that one:

10. moopsi

moopsi Member

Dec 19, 2008
    looks preety good[​IMG]

11. NotYou

NotYou Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Colorado
    The video looks a lot better than I thought it would. This actually looks like it could be pretty fun.

12. Kuratsu

Nov 4, 2008
    College Student
    Yeah, like I said though, if this is anything like Motocross Maniacs, Motocross will prove to be fun.

13. parranoya

parranoya Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2008
    The thing I get paid for
    CANADIA
    Its nothing like exitabike ----its more like bike or die ----you just have to tilt the screen to keep your balance as you control the speed with the right side of the screen ----you can do pop-a-wheelies off the start its fun. You just try to keep you guy on the bike as you go up hill----down hill --- over bridges and jumps....good way to waste 5 minutes.

14. Flunkie

Flunkie Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Watched the video, and it seems way too static compared to Bike or Die! 2.

15. Kuratsu

Nov 4, 2008
    College Student
    Lol, and I was in the process of typing up this long reason why it shouldn't be compared to BoD. Thanks for summing it up :D

16. So has anyone else bought the game? Is it worth getting?

17. I have been enjoying this game now for the past couple of days. It's not going to blow anyone away, but it is good fun and plays well. Unfortunately there is no option to pause while playing, and no option to quit once you start a game. Also you only ever race to beat your best time, so the first race of each track could be completed by simply taking your time. Other than that it is good to play, and I am pleased with my purchase.

18. silicon1138

silicon1138 Member

Mar 9, 2009
    Motocross

I just though i'd big up this little gem. I've not really seen much mention of it and thought it needed a leg up.
    It's super simple gameplay, but really nicely done. It's got a real old arcade feel to it and it doesn't try to be anything more than what it is.
    It's super addictive, and as many games come and go, i always come back to this.

http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=300247765&mt=8

19. Motorcross blows hard stick with Super Bikes. If you pay $1 for this then you've been ripped off.

20. silicon1138

silicon1138 Member

Mar 9, 2009
    is Super Bikes on iphone? i can't seem to find it