Universal moto RKD dash (by kalin krastev)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Eli, Oct 14, 2015.

1. nukeD

nukeD Active Member

Oct 16, 2015
    #21 nukeD, Oct 16, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2015
    Hey guys, i just found this topic by chance.
    I'm the guy that made the game. Its a one man work (design, modeling, textures, interaction... everything, except the music) and i humbly accept your critiques. Im aware of the pluses and minuses of the game, on the other hand the simple fact that i managed to complete it was the hardest part.
    My idea was to recreate Tomy Turbo Racing Dashboard (https://youtu.be/lOebLtLSxfM) and SEGA moto champ (https://youtu.be/xhO02gQEu-k) and its mechanical feel. So the game behind the scenes is pretty similar to a real electromechanical game, there is no ai (its a system similar to SEGA moto champ, there is a clip on yt showing how the enemy bikes are moved by magnets under the track). The track repeats every 2 seconds as in Tommy, so i made 10... the tenth is different though.
    All the levels are beatable without crashing, which gives you an extra continue (yes, the game has limited continues), the thing is to reach 'Turbo' as fast as possible and there wont be any bikes from behind.
    In most levels the bikes just go straight and are easily avoided, on 2 of the levels the bikes wave around and are annoying, but the pattern is simple... for example in LVL04, there are 3 colors of enemy bikes with 3 simple patterns

[​IMG]

I want for all of us to experience the simpler days of gaming, no IAP, no DLC, no menu systems, just press start and play.

Thank you for getting it and many thanks to for even talking about it.

PS: i wont make any promises, but after the launch dust settles (compiling, getting approved, fixing and generally working with all the app stores... also the promo clip, the screens, the web page) i'll go back and work some more to tune it up... check out some wallpapers and music on the game page

2. thumbs07

thumbs07 Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2010
    UK
    it looks gorgeous

3. LordShad0wz

LordShad0wz Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2014
    Thank you for coming here and interacting with us. As a result you sold me. I just purchased it and it's downloading as I type this. I'll play a bit and report back :)

You had me at Sega. Hehe

Billy

4. nukeD

nukeD Active Member

Oct 16, 2015
    Thanks Billy, im a big SEGA fan and collector :)
    I really hope you enjoy dash.

5. henryfakesmile

henryfakesmile Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2013
    usa
    any chance to update it to support iOS game center?

6. BazookaTime

BazookaTime Well-Known Member

The graphics are stunning.

7. retrogamOR

retrogamOR Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2013
    I like it.

I didn't find it frustrating.In fact,i completed it in my 1st sitting.Admittedly i used 3 continues.This may be an issue for some people.But hey,for the price of a cup of coffee,i'm not complaining.

Completing it without using continues is probably the real challenge.

Also,it unlocks an old LCD game when you complete the game.

If you enjoyed those old LCD type games in the 80s,it's definitely worth getting.

8. nukeD

nukeD Active Member

Oct 16, 2015
    Hey man, thanks a lot for the kind words. I'm happy you liked it.
    Here are some tips if you're willing to play some more:
    - if you complete a level without crashing you get an extra continue and some cool points bonus.
    - IMO the easiest levels for doing this are 1 and 3, but its possible on any.
    - on the final level you don't need to pass the opponent, but to stay close without bumping into her. Then you'll see 'BOND' in the message box, while bonded score is multiplied insanely.
    - on the level with the wolves if you don't crash you can gradually illuminate the entire track
    - in RKD Champ 81 (the LCD game) when you reach 100 points the speed doubles, on 300 it doubles again... 999 is max score, i've managed to do around 590 :p

Hey Thanks again retrogamOR!

9. PixTragic

PixTragic Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2015
    I'll admit I was kind of nervous from a couple of the comments, but I have to say, this game is polished and highly entertaining!

The controls aren't bad at all, not sure why people didn't like them, you can tap on either side of the screen to move left or right, or use the little thing in the bottom left corner where you can use your left thumb to move. I find it. Dry intuitive actually and I love it.

I really love the whole feel of the game, from the retro feel to the crazy perspective while flying don the road, it's pretty intense. Also the bikers bumping into the back of you isn't much of a problem for me, just get up to the turbo mode asap and you will be fine. Absolutely love the retro feel.

I can't get past the 4th level I believe, the one with the cargo things on both sides of the track moving, making it extremely narrow, so I constantly ram and smash into other bikers, wish I could get past this level....but on the whole I love the gameplay and it's challenging in a good way, not so hard I want to throw my iPad through my window.
    This is not some unity assets thrown together half assed, this is a polished game that I would highly recommend. Mi can't wait to unlock the other race mode once I beat arcade mode(if I ever do). Great job Dev!!! Are you making any more games? If so, insta buy in my book

10. nukeD

nukeD Active Member

Oct 16, 2015
    Thanks a lot for the kind words man, my next game will be better! I hope to return to SEGA's golden era of racers with it, but in an unexpected way.

11. LordShad0wz

LordShad0wz Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2014
    Holy crap lol. I had no idea you could press either edge of the screen. Using that slide mechanic was ruining it for me. But man using the edges of the screen is freaken fantastic. Now I'm playing! The game is soooo much better lol

And Dev, now you tease with more Sega words. Not nice. You can't tease like that. Tell us! Btw the visuals in this game are amazing. Did you do all the artwork? It's awesome.

Billy

12. nukeD

nukeD Active Member

Oct 16, 2015
    #32 nukeD, Oct 28, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2015
    Hey PixTragic:
    About the industrial level you're on, if you get caught between the crates its pretty hard and frustrating (i admit) to get out, but you can do the entire level just juggling the center lane, even without getting hit (perfect run for extra continue).

Billy, i'm glad you managed to enjoy it, on a big iPad its easy to play only with the arc, but on an iPhone touching the screen edges makes it more enjoyable.

haha, i'm not trying to lean on the best arcade company (for me), only share my passion and honest hopes to bring a little bit of SEGA of the 90's magic that made me want to make games.

Yeah man, models, textures, lights, the whole thing and im proud of the results, not as good as the pros out there, but for my skills not bad :p

BTW: for the people still on the fence, i have a couple of promo codes left, so PM me if you want to play the game.
    Again, on an iPad the experience is as i intended it to be.

Thanks for reading!

13. PixTragic

Oct 25, 2015
    Ok cool I'm gone beat that industrial level tonight. One thing that would give this game longevity, if it doesn't already have it, I forgot to check. Is game enter leaderboards, for each level, and for the whole arcade career. That would give incentive to go back and get high scores. Also maybe multipliers for grazing or getting super close to other bikers at turbo speed,would increase your score.

14. nukeD

nukeD Active Member

Oct 16, 2015
    Hey Pix, there is an update coming with GameCenter leaderboards with your final hi-score, if it works well i might add more score categories, keep your fingers crossed.
    As for bonuses, if you dont crash during a race, besides getting another continue, there is also a points bonus. Also on the last level there is a feature called "BOND" which if played well (last level is no rush, just mellow driving) can add 2 to 3 000 000 points to your overall score!

Thanks again for playing!

15. PixTragic

Oct 25, 2015

AWESOME!! I seriously really like this game. It's is thrilling and nostalgic. Can't wait to unlock the other game mode. Seriously this game needs more attention, and the controls are spot on.

16. GPS

GPS Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Australia
    Yeah, just tried this out, thanks heaps for the code! It is really good, I love the look of it, tap controls are great ( I had hesitated cause of a few comments about the controls, but tap works really well, haven't tried the slider yet), it's a great challenge and heaps of fun.

17. nukeD

nukeD Active Member

Oct 16, 2015
    Hey guys, check out what just happened...
    [​IMG]

18. nukeD

nukeD Active Member

Oct 16, 2015
    Hey thanks to the people were interested in the free codes, hope you enjoy the game.

19. Sexy Pirate

Sexy Pirate Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2014
    Call centre / Parent
    Newcastle England
    I sent off an email when you posted that but never got a reply?

20. nukeD

nukeD Active Member

Oct 16, 2015
    Never got it, i don't have any spam filters on... anyway, check your PMs ;)