Most Game Genres Have Been Done To Death, What We Need Are More Strategy Games.

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by wikoogle, Jun 10, 2009.

1. GodSon

GodSon Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2009
    I am very aware of the game and how unique it is but I still stand my ground that its NOT THE BEST GAME EVER!!! Plain and simple and I don't understand how you could even say that so early as well? Everyone is entitled to they're own opinion yes and its great you have passion for it but to be honest there are so many games that have "earned" the title as "one of the best games ever" that I could name off the top of my head that im sure a lot of people will agree with. Could scribblenauts be up there with the many other games that deserve to be in that category...maybe one day but for now i think you stating BEST EVER tells me a lot about you...

By the way if you don't want anything to do with me thats fine; this all is just my opinion. I must say that you ignorance does flatter me a little. ;)

2. wikoogle

wikoogle Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2009
    #22 wikoogle, Jun 10, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2009
    Godson, the fact that you get irked so easily is actually kind of fun.

So I reiterate, not only is Scribblenauts the greatest game ever made, its the greatest game that will ever be made, or can ever be made by any living entity in the universe, god like or otherwise with the sole exception of the inevitable Scribblenauts sequel/s. Any game that you can cite to me as an example of another game up to par with Scribblenauts quality, innovation or freedom is absolutely 100% inferior. That's how I feel and I'm 110% standing by it.

And no, I'm not in any way involved with the game's development. I'm just one of the hundreds of gamers over at the neogaf forum that was absolutely 120% won over by the game after learning about it, watching it's videos, and getting my hands on it breifly only to have it far exceed all my insanely high expectations by a 130%.

In reference to DaveMc99's post below...

Why would someone decide the best way to tell someone about a game is by linking them to wikipedia's blurb on it!!!!!! rather than linking to an actual video of the gameplay...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrnsOx9Akcc

or posting actual gameplay impressions about it...

"So listen to this story. I was in the early levels; I didn't quite have an idea of how ridiculously in-depth the database was. I was summoning things like ladders, glasses of water, rayguns, what have you. But I reached a level with zombie robots, and the zombie robots kept killing me. Rayguns didn't work, a torch didn't work, a pickaxe didn't work. In my frustration, I wrote in "Time Machine". And one popped up. What the ****? A smile dawned on my face. I hopped in, and the option was given to me to either travel to the past or the future. I chose past. When I hopped out, there were ****ing dinosaurs walking around. I clicked one, and realized I could RIDE THEM. So I hopped on a ****ing DINOSAUR, traveled back to the present, and stomped the **** out of robot zombies. Did you just read that sentence? Did you really? I F*&%^NG TRAVELED THROUGH TIME AND JUMPED ON A DINOSAUR AND USED IT TO KILL MOTHERF*($)#NG ROBOT ZOMBIES. This game is unbelievable. Impossible. There's nothing you can't do."

3. DaveMc99

DaveMc99 Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2009
    Seattle, WA USA
  4. GodSon

GodSon Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2009
    I'm far from irked. Its not even out yet but its already the greatest game of all time and nothing even compares? Your only showing me that your limited to the little box your living in.

5. iFonePhanatic

iFonePhanatic Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2009
    Student
    USA
    Yea I would love more strategy games on the idevice. It's the best game genre/category on the App Store IMHO.

6. Mr. Charley

Mr. Charley Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2008
    This thread is the greatest thread of all time, and there will never be another thread of such greatness in the history of threads thanks to you wikoogle

7. wikoogle

Jun 10, 2009
    Thank you Mr. Charley. I fully 140% agree with your assessment. ;)

Fixed. And I concur.

8. florbastang

florbastang Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2009
    Please, please, please, PLEASE! NO MORE TOWER DEFENSE GAMES! They've been done to absolute death. The iPhone is capable of so much more. I hate to see it wasted on TD games and crappy, watered-down Flash type games.

But how the fudge is Scribblenauts a strategy game? I'm starting to think that the original poster has no idea what constitutes a strategy game...

9. Beezle

Beezle Active Member

Apr 25, 2009
    I agree 152% with your assessment, but not 160%.
    Well, maybe 153%. :)

10. smallstepforman

Jan 22, 2009
    Melbourne
    Civilization type game

Hi. I'm the developer of Embargo (http://www.zenyes.com for pictures and game play video). I've been addicted to Civilization since 1992, and even in 2009 still spend 10 hours+ a week on Civ4:BTS. Best game ever, I'd pay $10,000 for it without even blinking. I'm looking for a new project idea, and was considering doing a Civilization like game for the iPhone/iPodTouch, but basically face the following dilemma's:
    - small screen, fat fingers. This severely limits the interface.
    - my estimates are that this is a 2 man year project (to be similar to Civ3). How many sales would I need to break even? The cost/benefits are not realistic for the iPhone market. If however, Firaxis were to PORT Civ to the iPhone, this changes the equation considerably.
    - Civ games are long (4-6 hours). On the phone, you're likely to play 15-20 minute sessions a day if your on the move. If you're at home, you'd rather move into the study and play on the big screen.

Unless you (or the TouchArcade community) can convince me otherwise, I'd be unwilling to create a Civ like game, even though I have the ability/passion to do it. And I'd really love to create this.

11. florbastang

florbastang Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2009
    As far as the 4-6 hours game length thing, just do like Uniwar does. Those games can easily last 4-6 hours too.

Also, make it like Civilization Revolution as opposed to the full-on Civ games. I think it'd be better seller on this platform.

12. mlkaufman

mlkaufman Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2009
    Chicago
  13. wikoogle

Jun 10, 2009
    #33 wikoogle, Jun 12, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2009
    Why the hell would someone decide the best way to learn about a game is by reading a short blurb about it in wikipedia rather than watching an actual video of the gameplay...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrnsOx9Akcc

or reading actual gameplay impressions about it...

"So listen to this story. I was in the early levels; I didn't quite have an idea of how ridiculously in-depth the database was. I was summoning things like ladders, glasses of water, rayguns, what have you. But I reached a level with zombie robots, and the zombie robots kept killing me. Rayguns didn't work, a torch didn't work, a pickaxe didn't work. In my frustration, I wrote in "Time Machine". And one popped up. What the ****? A smile dawned on my face. I hopped in, and the option was given to me to either travel to the past or the future. I chose past. When I hopped out, there were ****ing dinosaurs walking around. I clicked one, and realized I could RIDE THEM. So I hopped on a ****ing DINOSAUR, traveled back to the present, and stomped the **** out of robot zombies. Did you just read that sentence? Did you really? I F*&%^NG TRAVELED THROUGH TIME AND JUMPED ON A DINOSAUR AND USED IT TO KILL MOTHERF*($)#NG ROBOT ZOMBIES. This game is unbelievable. Impossible. There's nothing you can't do."

14. wikoogle

Jun 10, 2009
    Civilization Revolutions for the DS was remade to allow for short games, and played great. You should see if Firaxis would let you port that with far better graphics.

Honestly, I think you should port Zapitalism over to the iPhone :eek:

The iphone controls would be perfect for it.

It would be a very easy port. A one man developer could port the whole game in a month or two actually. It's a fantastic game (a hilarious light hearted business sim). It would honestly sell like hotcakes.

I hear lavamind has been eagerly looking for someone familiar with the iPhone and willing to port their game (Zapitalism) over to the iPhone.

[email protected]

15. wikoogle

Jun 10, 2009
    So any info on this from Firaxis?

16. ZZMitch

ZZMitch Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2008
    OMG I can't wait for Scribblenuts, I mean it has Longcat, Tangnot (I think that is the name) and Keyboard Cat!

That along makes it epic!

17. wikoogle

Jun 10, 2009
    I seriously can't wait to type in stuff like blackhole and war and portal and see what pops up on the screen and what happens when I use them.

18. Alichan76

Alichan76 Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2009
    LOL. Isn't it called Scribblenaughts? But hey, ScribbleNuts sounds like a fun idea:D:eek:

19. unparagoned

unparagoned Member

Jun 14, 2009
    Just to introduce myself. I'm a Dev and I've been working full time on a XXXX style game similar to Civilization or Masters of Orion. It's 6 months into development and is very close to an alpha version.

I was wondering this as well. I think the reason is that it's just far too big and complicated. It's not really going to be possible to even make a simple version to test the market.

I agree with most of your points, and I'm quite pleased since it means I've got no competition to the game I'm making. It means I can make sure the game is great before releasing it rather than worrying about releasing the game before someone else, etc. I've been working full time on my civ style game for the last 6 months and am fairly close to having a playable alpha version ready. I just need to finish up on the AI and update a few things.

The game is in 3d space so if you've seen the Rogue Planet video, the move, zoom, etc is all the same. The only difference is I don't have full 3D models but instead I've got something in the works that will bring 2.5D to the next level. For platforms like the iphone 3D models kind of limit you on doing cool animations, so I've decided to make use of after effects and the 3d space to make some cool looking combat scene directly on the game map. So unlike Rouge Planet or mecho wars, it doesn't need to go to a separate screen for 2D animated combat, it will be more like Civ with just zooming in and panning around the area of combat.

When I started making the game I'd only played the PC version but saw a few problems with a full on PC game like that on the iphone so I brought the Civ Rev game to see what aspects they changed, etc. Some good ideas. But I think a few too many aspects were removed. I'm implementing the game so you don't have to actually change some stuff like tax at all, but if you want to you can.

One major aspect that was a bit of a cheat is that smaller maps mean quicker games. So I'm planning on offering different size maps so people can have quicker or longer games. I've got a basic map gen atm, but will be upgrading that a bit so you can play on a unique map each time. A map maker is also a possibility.

I brought the Civ Rev for PS3 after I started making my game for ideas on simplified interface and shortened games. Is the DS version much different from the PS3 version? If so I'll need to buy a DS and the game.

20. wikoogle

Jun 10, 2009
    Fantastic news :)

No the DS version is pretty much the same as the PS3 version, except with really really atrociously bad graphics, the iPhone can do SOOOOOOO much better.

Atleast it seems to be the same game from the limited time I spent playing it on my friends DS.