Most disappointing games?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by florbastang, Aug 4, 2009.

1. kingkong120

kingkong120 Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2009
    Sims 3
    Chronicles of Inotia
    Stickwars

2. Mormoop

Mormoop Well-Known Member

May 20, 2009
    I'd really like to know what percent of players have stuck with Car Jack Streets this long with the ridiculous system of forcing you to play every week. You almost never hear about the game anymore so I bet a lot of people just gave up.

3. Coral

Coral Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2008
    I am really curious why people dislike Mecho Wars so much. Did you not know what you were buying? Dislike the genre? No online multiplayer (which you knew about before buying it)? I personally think it is the best TBS game on the appstore. Better than Uniwar.

I was disappointed in Sway. The controls were hard for me, even 3/4 of the way through the game. It seemed more like a "swing yourself into the air and hope you land in the right place and retry if you mess up" system. The various "characters" had tiny differences between most of them. It was very good looking and had iPhone centric controls, I just couldn't get into it.

4. Camzy

Camzy Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
  5. Ravenblack

Ravenblack Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2009
    Singapore
    Underworlds.

6. wootbean

wootbean Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    the next whiskey bar
    I have to say Defender Chronicles. I heard it was really good so I bought it and lost interest after the first level.

7. skyye06

skyye06 Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2009
    student
    Texas
    ok
    Mechowars
    stickwars
    chronicles of inotia
    underworlds
    sparta
    dungeon defense(where is the udate)
    rolando

8. kingkong120

kingkong120 Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2009
    no way! I love that game! but thats your opinion

9. GGiant

GGiant Member

Aug 4, 2009
    Archon. That was a real letdown. I don't even know what to say about it.

Grunts, but only because it was hyped so much. There should be a lesson there that you can build up too much anticipation, especially if you won't reveal any details of the game. If it turns out to be a so-so retread of familiar territory then why be so secretive?

Worms. Awful entry in one of the best game series ever. Hopefully they'll improve it, there's still hope there.

Minigore's okay but was overhyped as well. Hopefully there's more great stuff to come but it just feels like a proof-of-concept more than a game. It's a good foundation, I just don't think it should have been released as basic as it is, but if you disagree I won't argue.

Car Jack Streets. They don't seem to understand why GTA is so great (the humor, the other "city stuff" going on in the background that makes it feel like a real place and gives you the the thrill of exploration, the fun of being out of control in different vehicles) and just made a generic city without character. It could have been a great game if they'd hired a writer to assist with the missions. Also, the time limit blows. You just can't have something like that on a mobile game.

There's more, but these were my biggest disappointments. Minigore and maybe Worms I still have high hopes for if the updates come through, the rest are long since trashed.

10. iFonePhanatic

iFonePhanatic Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2009
    Student
    USA
    SimCity and Car Jack Streets. I really got sucked into the hype around CJS and bought it for 5 bucks right after it's release. I played a few times and deleted it...

11. The Bat Outta Hell

The Bat Outta Hell Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Mar 10, 2009
    Hat Salesman
    Washington
    Star Defense
    Oregon Trail
    Assassins Creed
    Terminator
    all huge disappointments for me.

12. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    SimCity
    Rolando
    Payback
    Car Jack Streets

13. Aurora

Aurora Well-Known Member

Umm no I think they're crappy games.
    Minigore does not deserve even a fraction of the hype it received. It's basically a premature release with little or no content right now, people poured in the money hoping for updates that actually make the game have some content. I really despise these schemes of releasing incomplete games. As of now it's inferior to iDracula in every single category. And no I don't even like iDracula that much.

Mecho Wars was an extreme disappointment~ I thought it was going to be like Advance Wars, but it's got not even half of the difficulty, and the game is so short it's even worse than Uniwar (though the animations are pretty good and at least it runs smooth). Who knows when the campaign will be of proper length, and players will be able to choose which race they want to control...

14. astrosaurus

astrosaurus Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2009
    Designer/Blogger
    Portland, OR
    Probably the first game I ever bought, Super Monkey Ball. I was SO STOKED to play it and when I did I was just let down. I was excited to have a game, but I came to the realization just a few minutes in that I would never play it again after my first session.

15. Mormoop

Mormoop Well-Known Member

May 20, 2009
    I agree Mecho was a disappointment, but Uniwar doesn't deserve the hate. The multiplayer component is about as good as you can hope for on the iPhone and it's remarkably easy to get a number of great games going quickly. There's a decent sized community so if you set up a game you almost always find an opponent right away. It's also a true strategy game in that you have a ton of options and actually have to think quite a few moves ahead. I agree that the single player campaign kind of sucks but it's really just a tutorial for multiplayer.

It's not perfect but as far as multiplayer strategy games go it's really good. At least until Wesnoth comes out which will completely blow it out of the water.

But Mecho Wars.. Yeah. Lame. A strategy game with little strategy, and still no promised multiplayer (not that I have any hopes for it if and when it does arrive.) Plus the flying banners every round are really annoying.

16. NagaRoyalGuard

NagaRoyalGuard Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2009
    Most of the games you dislike are on my top 10 games I love.

17. Rowdy-Dowdy

Rowdy-Dowdy Member

Aug 3, 2009
    Rolando
    WORMS
    are two my biggest disappointments:(

18. unconnected

unconnected Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2009
    London, UK
    Metal Gear Solid Touch. Seriously, why is it that on my 2.5 year old N95 I was able to play a fully 3D (including the round-the-corner and inside-the-box views etc) yet Metal Gear Solid Touch is just a crappy shooter game.

Youtube video of the N95 MGS game:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kHXb6YhfxQ

Youtube video of the iPhone MGS game:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zOOaPQ4hiE

It played really well too on the N95, even allowed you to set a camo based on what the camera was looking at.

19. Gryphon23

Gryphon23 Well-Known Member

Jul 26, 2009
    McDonalds! French Fries anyone?
    At that place... with those... people...
    I love the music, art style, and everything BUT the controls. It makes it really hard to just pick up and play. :(