Universal Mos Speedrun (by Physmo)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by ImNoSuperMan, Apr 6, 2011.

1. Lance_TA

Lance_TA Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2011
    Game Impressions

I think i may do that also, there only 20 levels and only god knows when the new levels will be released... wink wink Physmo.... ;)

And now for the impressions:

Mos (not the game but its what they say in the description, right in the control type) controls arent good at all, they work on the game 6th Planet but not here, so i stick to the dpad, this method is the best and is as good as League of Evil (the reference here). I really like time jumps. I really like level design, and your ghosts dying around you, they also give you more competitivity and a guide to look at when trying to best your score. Mos is so cute. And now the music: ITS SOOO GOOOOD, i love chiptunes. I also like the scoring system, you have 4 objectives to look for, giving this a lot of replayability, similar to League of Evil...

CONCLUSION: Great and tight controls, awesome music, good level design and excellent scoring system (i run out of synonyms :D)

2. Lance_TA

Mar 12, 2011
    Actually and eventually all your looser MosĀ“s will die and you will be left with the previous best score there. I like it the way it is, its funny to watch them die and a great feature to have

3. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    #43 MidianGTX, Apr 7, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2011
    Just been playing for a few minutes. I agree completely with nyarla, I can already tell the Mos control scheme is the one to go for. The very last thing you want to deal with on a game this precise is a virtual d-pad. They're just never going to be as good and you really want the freedom to be able to tap on any area of the screen you like.

All I have to say to those who can't deal with it... be a gamer! Learn a control scheme. I suspect many people are simply dismissing it because it's not what they're used to, big mistake. No one expected you to master it instantly, it's a relatively new technique. What you're essentially doing is trying to fly a plane with a car's steering wheel. Sure, you may actually be better with it because you're used to cars, but take the time to figure out the plane's intended controls and you'll realise why they exist.

4. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    I find this interesting. The Hook Champ games are definitely examples of pixel art done right, but not so much LoE in my opinion. I'm not actively hating on LoE here, it's good in many ways, but people keep drawing comparisons and so far it seems I much prefer this game.

The artwork there felt more like pixel art for the sake of pixel art. Non-descript blocks against a background. It makes me wonder how old you are, but don't take that as an insult, it's just a general musing. I feel that gamers who grew up with pixels playing a prominent part in their games might look at the whole art style differently to younger gamers who grew up with polygons and 3D gaming.

Back in "the day", pixel art only really had one objective... make as imaginitive a world as possible with extremely limited resources. People playing the games were only given a very brief outline of the world they were playing in due to the graphics being so basic, and so the rest was left for their imaginations to fill in. These days, pixel art practically only exists because people think it's cool and in many games it's used for that exact reason. I include LoE in those games. The Mos dev team may well have done it for the same reason, but looking at the game in action gives me much more of the impression of trying to build a world and spark that lost imagination in gamers, while LoE felt isolated from anything that might exist off-screen. What's there in LoE is all there is, a few funky blocks and some character sprites, there's nothing else to be found.

It's hard to describe exactly what I mean, so this post may just come across as insane ramblings, but I promise you it'd make sense if I knew how to translate it into words :)

5. steviebwoy

steviebwoy Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2011
    e-Systems Analyst
    Cornwall, UK
    By the way, how on earth has 'nickd3000' (ie the dev!) managed a time of 19.29s for the first time trial? Level 1-4 I think. Have I missed the mother of all shortcuts!? My best is 27.71s! :eek:

6. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    I don't know Midian, that sounds a lot like the excuse for old school Resident Evil tank controls. :)

In any case, most gamers on this forum are already familiar with both control schemes from the Shift games and LoE/ RWK. For those of us choosing the virtual control setup, it's because it's already proven to work in twitchy, execution based platformers with time objectives. And those controls felt natural from the first time I played stuff like LoE, which is why I rever it. Shift is a slower paced game in comparison and there's still a few times going back to play it where I get mixed up for a bit, and it probably the same for other players.

Why then would we want Shift style controls as default for this game when we all got accustomed to a proper standard months ago? More effort with a proven lesser payoff (at least for me), to play a mobile game, one that is execution based game? If one set of controls works perfectly and the other is awkward, why bother with the latter. I just don't see it.

But if in fact for you the Shift scheme is naturally the less awkward of the two, then by all means, enjoy it. :)

7. nickd3000

nickd3000 Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2011
    indie game developer
    Glasgow, Scotland
    If I remember correctly, it was done through an extraordinary feat of bravery with the zombie on the little floating platform, I just managed to land right on the other side of him and jump away :D

Is anyone experiencing problems with the game centre score updates? We are investigating at the moment. Your scores will be stored locally whatever happens so if we need an update to fix your times won't be lost.

Thanks for all the great comments and discussions, it's making all the hard work worth while! Please help us out with some lovely app store ratings if you are enjoying the game, I'll be working on new levels soon after a wee break!

About the name, the character is called "Mos". Yeah, it's weird :)

It's great reading the feedback on the controls, I understand it's a personal preference thing, I just hope each of you find one you are happy to use!

Happy jumping!

Nick

8. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    I'm not sure if "proven to work" is quite the phrase I'd use. More like "manageable". No dev team really wants to use virtual buttons on their game, the only reason they do is due to lack of an alternative. It's making the best of a bad situation, being that iPhones just aren't as good as physical controllers where buttons are concerned. Gamers have certainly gotten used to using d-pads on iOS, but they could get used to the Mos controls too if they wanted to and only then would they understand the benefits.

...and I like the old Resident Evil controls too, the game wouldn't have been scary with Super Mario 64 controls :D

9. steviebwoy

Feb 17, 2011
    e-Systems Analyst
    Cornwall, UK
    haha, yeah that's exactly what I did too (pooing my pants all the while), but I'm still waaaay short of your time! There must be something else I'm missing as I nailed all of the other jumps!

I'm having the same issues with the Game Centre, but at the moment I'm ranked 6th in the world, so I'm quite happy with it as it is thanks! :p

10. your personal robot

your personal robot Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    nonverbalist
    Berlin
    Once you got used to the Mos controls, you simply can't go on with the virtual d-pad. Seriously. The game becomes a lot less responsive. It's really just a matter of getting used to it, then it beats the d-pad easily. I just can't switch back right now, then the game feels kind of wrong. Seriously. But we can all be happy that there are options to choose.

Right now, I'm having a tad more fun with this that with the fantastic LoE. But I would love to hear 1 or 2 other tracks, in longer sessions the music can become a bit annoying. But it's reaaaally a great platformer.

11. Lance_TA

Mar 12, 2011
    The front cover review is very accurate, although i would given this game 5 stars instead of 4

12. hbernritter

hbernritter Well-Known Member

Jul 15, 2010
    Inventory/Marketing Manager
    Toledo, OH
    Grats on the excellent reviews your getting. Just got up and got it downloading. Can't wait to play!

13. steviebwoy

Feb 17, 2011
    e-Systems Analyst
    Cornwall, UK
    Quick question, I've noticed that the resolution isn't great on the iPhone 4 when you actually get into the game. Do you think you'll update with Retina Display at some point?

14. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    I'm not sure what you're saying... it's a pixel art game and it's rendered perfectly on my device. It couldn't be any sharper.

15. steviebwoy

Feb 17, 2011
    e-Systems Analyst
    Cornwall, UK
    Really? Hm, it looks a tiny bit fuzzy on my iPhone 4 for some reason. Probably just the style of the game, like you say. Or I might've had too many watching the Champions League last night! :D What I mean, though, is that LoE (for example) looks very sharp, and Mos herself looks very sharp in this game, but the backgrounds look a tiny bit blurry, if you see what I mean?

16. steviebwoy

Feb 17, 2011
    e-Systems Analyst
    Cornwall, UK
    Here we go, have uploaded a shot to kinda show what I mean. As you can see, Mos is very sharp, but the background and the ladders are a bit blurry. I know that's probably just the style of the game, but I wonder whether it'd look better a bit more defined?

Attached Files:

• Mos.png
      Mos.png
      File size:
      233.5 KB
      Views:
  17. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    Oh that... yeah that looks the same on all devices, it's just their texture style. Each pixel is perfectly sharp so the textures are just the way they've been drawn. Mos does look a bit clearer but that's probably so she's easy to see against the background, they've muted the colours on it a bit.

18. steviebwoy

Feb 17, 2011
    e-Systems Analyst
    Cornwall, UK
    Ah cool cool, yeah thought it might've been the art style :) The Physmo screen looks quite pixelated too, but like you say perhaps it's intentionally blocky, to fit in with the style of the game and the era they're aiming for, rather than a lack of RD res. All good :)

19. mattll

mattll Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2009
    bavaria
    is there kinda shop like in hook champ where you can buy things or can you unluck something except from the levels ?

20. steviebwoy

Feb 17, 2011
    e-Systems Analyst
    Cornwall, UK
    Negative on shops! Unlocks are just for opening new worlds - ie. to open World 2 you need 10 badges from the 5 levels in World 1 (each level has 4 badges available).