Universal Mos Speedrun 2 (by Physmo)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by killercow, Sep 30, 2015.

1. xzamplezz

xzamplezz Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2012
    Is anybody trying to get #1 on any levels? The leaderboard haven't changed much....

2. philadendron

philadendron Active Member

Apr 8, 2013
    Las Vegas
    I think I stole 5-5 from you today. It's not 100% clean so I think it has the potential to be better.

3. xzamplezz

Jan 3, 2012
    Very nice! Felipe Cancian actually had #1. Not sure if you beat him.

Level 5-6 target time confirmed a glitch.

4. philadendron

Apr 8, 2013
    Las Vegas
    Honestly, you've got a lot of them locked down pretty tight. I typically don't prioritize leaderboard hunting, unless I see an obvious route/tactic that seems unexplored. You challenged me in GC on 1-4 and I probably won't even try, because that leaderboard is down to milliseconds, it seems.

I'm going after badges/achievements, and if in the course I feel like perfecting a run or two, I'll take a short diversion and give it a shot.

5. philadendron

Apr 8, 2013
    Las Vegas
    Haha, I just assumed you were the top. I have the top by like 5 seconds (for now), so I beat him, too.

It just occurred to me that maybe you're talking about Steam/Android/iOS combined. I'm just looking at GC, so maybe someone else has a better one.

6. xzamplezz

Jan 3, 2012
    #146 xzamplezz, Oct 21, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2015
    I didn't know what challenging even meant, my bad lol. There's plenty of time in 1-4, honestly. And it could be beat by a ton if someone hits those platforms with all the zombies right, instead of dropping down.

Yeah, he's on steam. He and ETsc2 had quite a few #1. I took all but 5-5 (and 1-1, but that's an iOS player).

7. xzamplezz

Jan 3, 2012
    #147 xzamplezz, Oct 21, 2015
    @Phil: I got 5-5 back. Felipe still has me beat.

Check this out: [​IMG]

The first time I jumped up, the flaming dude was on the platform I'm standing on. Obviously not expecting him to be there, I ran right into him. Luckily, on my second life this happened, so I only had to dodge one to finish with the skull.

Now all I have left is the 5-6 skull and 4-3 coins. I really don't want to do the coins.

8. philadendron

Apr 8, 2013
    Las Vegas
    Don't forget daily charms...

9. xzamplezz

Jan 3, 2012
    #149 xzamplezz, Oct 21, 2015
    That too. Most have been pretty easy to find so far.

EDIT: Well, 2-3 was one of my favorite levels, but Felipe found an absolutely stupid shortcut. It skips the best part of the level.

10. lena

lena Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2011
    Oh thanks, that's good to know that it's not just me who's having trouble with them.

I thought I'd go back to the first levels and get some more badges because the level select screen said that 34 badges would unlock area 4, but it's still locked :( It now just says "56 badges unlocks area 5".

11. xzamplezz

Jan 3, 2012
    Yeah it's kind of misleading. The badge requirement is in addition to passing all the previous levels.

12. lena

lena Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2011
    I'm not 100% sure but I don't think I had the stated amount of badges before starting area 3. I hope it's not true because I would need 22 more badges to unlock area 5. That's 7 for unfinished levels, and then 15 more for coins/speedruns/skulls. That's a lot...

I do love the skull finding though (as long as it's not necessary to find them I guess). I had expected that to be just a hidden thing that you find in a corner somewhere, or in a hidden passage, but the hidden parts of the levels are sometimes bigger than the levels themselves. It's like a whole game in a game.

13. xzamplezz

Jan 3, 2012
    It's a lot, but that's because they want to prepare you for the next set of levels.

Yeah, the skulls are pretty awesome. Some of them are very hard to get.

Another platformer I just thought of for you guys: Commander Pixman. A ton of levels, and brutal difficulty in the later stages. And there's a lite version.

14. Felipe MGaia

Felipe MGaia Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2013
    Yep, sorry for ruining that level for you haha. And it feels a bit weird because you have to slide for just the right amount of time to get to the shortcut - if you do it a bit more or a bit less, you fall into the pool. But well, what other purpose would that opening have if not for taking a shortcut?
    My time isn't even very good, I screwed up a bit on many parts along the way, when people notice that this exists someone will end up beating me easily. Probably you, since you're getting serious about mastering the game hehe. Grats on your firsts, btw!

15. xzamplezz

Jan 3, 2012
    I didn't know you were Felipe Cancian! Nice runs man!

Yeah, it's a really weird shortcut. You have a good point about it being open, maybe it was intended. I was just upset because I really liked my run on that level. Oh well, it happens.

I have been ahead of you, but every time the damn arrows right after hit me! And one time I came to a point where avoiding the scorpions was impossible without stopping.

Thanks man. I had to take back a couple from retrogamor yesterday. He's giving me some good competition!

16. Felipe MGaia

Felipe MGaia Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2013
    I do think it is possible, for I tried to improve my timing for some time and came to the following conclusion (though I'm not completely sure of it):

It really seems that, if you are just a bit ahead of my current run, it is impossible to avoid the arrows. I could reach as far as that last horizontal arrow, but it always killed me. If you change your timing a bit, than it's the previous horizontal arrow + zombie that kills you.

I think you gotta have a higher time advantage if you wanna beat me - from my tries, it feels like something close to 7 or 8 "MOSes" ahead of me. If you have a bit more than that (if that's possible), maybe the the arrows would get you, too, this time on their next cycle. 7 or 8 MOSes ahead is the best I could do, though, and it really seemed it was possible and I was gonna make it, but then I did some stupid mistake with the last zombie and ruined it all. Than I could never manage to get that advantage again haha.

17. xzamplezz

Jan 3, 2012
    I think you're going to keep that one. I've been behind you, in front of you, and literally aligned with you and the arrows hit me every time. It really doesn't make sense how you don't get hit by the last arrow.

Judging by the horrible timing of arrows, I don't think that shortcut was intentional. It really doesn't make any sense.

Frequent vertical hop glitches, annoying shortcut, and randomly hitting bumps when walking down slopes make this level very frustrating.

18. lena

lena Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2011
    Update is live!
    Sadly the "what's new" does not say anything about mushroom trampolines so I guess I'll just soldier on.
    I see more checkpoints in the first levels and an an arrow towards secret areas. I hope that that will help to make more people persist a bit longer. Even though I'm finding this hard, there are plenty of very difficult games. It's a niche market, but it should not be THIS niche.

19. xzamplezz

Jan 3, 2012
    #159 xzamplezz, Oct 23, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2015
    3-6 is fixed, but 5-6 will have to be next update, unfortunately.

1-1 is now a "no stop" level, so there will be no #1. I don't like that change, because it removes competition from the level, and barely has an impact of the overall difficulty of the level. I'd be pretty upset if I was Headmass. That was his only #1.

20. SPAMBOT

SPAMBOT Well-Known Member

Rainbow eye spoilers!
    Well the update seems to have fixed the eye situation and like I suspected, the gate in 1-5 lead to a button which reveals the invisible blocks. The only level I can remember that has these blocks is 1-6 and guess what? There's what seems to be a frikkin numbers station up there! Or it's just a transmission being picked up. Crazy! Now I'm trying to find the other places that have the invisible blocks...