Universal Mos Speedrun 2 (by Physmo)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by killercow, Sep 30, 2015.

1. Felipe MGaia

Felipe MGaia Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2013
    #121 Felipe MGaia, Oct 20, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2015
    I've explored almost all the levels again like crazy yesterday, I'm really curious to see what's up with that glowing eyes, invisible platforms and locked gates stuff. Found a couple of weird stuff that is either bugged, pointless on purpose just for fun or that I don't know how it works. I should've taken some notes and screenshots as to where they were, I'm not really in the mood to find it again.

I hope xzamplezz is right and those are bugs that we'll have fixed soon. I think this enigma is the key to beating the speedrun timer on the last level, but I'm hoping there also some exciting extra stuff.

Regarding the skulls, I've collected them all already, but I still think that beating the speedrun timers was more challenging than getting them.

I wanted to add something to the discussion of the "these moving platforming sections ruin the speedrun competition" but I'm still not sure in which side I'm in haha. I'm gonna put my thoughts together and post later.

EDIT: hey I'm playing on android and the fix to 3-6 is already out, forgot to tell this. Is it already live on the AppStore? Unfortunately, the eyes thing still seem to be broken for me =/. I'm not sure if the patch that xzamplezz was talking about is this one or another one.

2. xzamplezz

xzamplezz Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2012
    3-6 and 5-6 time requirements are absolutely both glitched and should be fixed for the pending AppStore update.

In terms of my issue with the waiting obstacles: When you're seconds in front of someone, but you hit a wall and they get to catch up, that just lowers the significance of a portion of the level. Then all that really matters is that you do everything after the wait obstacle faster. It just feels limiting, and totally hinders the free flow of the level.

2-3 is an example of timing done right. Everybody has to wait for the zombie, but it's because we're going too slow. I found out today you can get past the zombie if you go fast enough. That means the only thing that differentiates the runs is how good your timing for jumps and drops are.

3. xzamplezz

Jan 3, 2012
    Should be the same one. What's the issue you're having with the eye?

4. Intendro

Intendro Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2013
    Which stages have the floating eyes?

5. xzamplezz

Jan 3, 2012
    @TBRK: did you find the 5-6 eye? I unintentionally found it.

6. Felipe MGaia

Aug 7, 2013
    On the level that's got the second eye (sorry, I can't remember which one now - the one with the green jelly), when I get to the door, the glowing eye is already on it, though I've never brought it there - just like someone reported on this thread before for the last level. I can't find the glowing eye anywhere on the level, too - can't be sure if I'm missing it or if it really isn't there because it's bugged. I went to level 1-5 to check out the door, but it's still got only 1 of its 3 pieces lifted.
    On the last level I can't find the eye anywhere - maybe I should look better on this one, but then it's really distressful to keep doing this without even knowing if the thing is working.

7. xzamplezz

Jan 3, 2012
    @Felipe: You should ask Nick about that. I haven't done any of the eyes yet, so I don't know if mine is glitched yet.

5-6 eye is pretty hard. I'll tell you if you want.

8. Felipe MGaia

Aug 7, 2013
    Hmmm I guess I'll just try a bit more first, I'll ask you if I get bored/angry.

I've also just checked and seen that the target time for 5-6 has not changed after the update. Either they forgot to fix it or there's some secret way to get a better time - maybe related to the eyes mystery as I was thinking. :D

9. xzamplezz

Jan 3, 2012
    Well, that's disappointing. No, I doubt he would make the target time require some hidden path.

It's so frustrating losing runs because of the vertical hop glitch. I had my 1-4 beat and lost it all at the end :(

10. lena

lena Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2011
    Thanks, I'm still doubtful, but I'll see how far I get.
    Yes, I finished 3.3 now so I am exactly half way through the game (well, through finishing the game at least - not counting the coins/skulls/speedruns/charms).

11. KingOfPhysicsPuzzlers

KingOfPhysicsPuzzlers Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2013
    Question for those of you that are really into this game (and it personally is in my top 5 all-time; maybe top 2-3 even)

What other games would you recommend that have similar style/structure. I'm sure I've played most, but looking for any hidden gems that are similar?

12. xzamplezz

Jan 3, 2012
    #132 xzamplezz, Oct 20, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2015
    Well, if you go back to some of those levels that were hard for you, I guarantee they'll be easier now. You're getting better, even if you aren't aware of it.

Hook Champ, Super Quickhook, Mikey Shorts, Mikey Hooks, League of Evil 1/2/3. Non-platformers: Mad Skills BMX, Mad Skills MX, Bike Baron

The ghost racing feature is HUGE for me when speedrunning. It's the single reason I bought Hook Champ. That introduced me to mobile speedrunning.

Do you have any good speedrunners that I haven't listed?

13. KingOfPhysicsPuzzlers

Mar 12, 2013
    Not sure what qualifies as speedrunners, but similar styled games that I've liked/loved that have time as one of the "badges":

Bean's Quest, Bean Dreams, Bloo Kid, Bloo Kid 2, Manuganu, Manuganu 2, Leo's Fortune, Adventure Beaks, Penumbear (no speed, but similar exploration to find keys)

14. xzamplezz

Jan 3, 2012
    I'll check them out, thanks.

15. philadendron

philadendron Active Member

Apr 8, 2013
    Las Vegas
    Bloo Kid 2 is the best platformer I've played on iOS. Leo's is good. Adventures of Pip. Gunslugs. Cally's Caves. Goblin Sword was also a high quality one. Dodo Master. League of Evil and the Mikey games are probably most similar to this format. Mutant Mudds was excellent. Icycle. The Random Heroes series if you're desperate. Kid Tripp, but it's more of an auto runner. Still super difficult.

Now that I've thought back on all these, here's my top list, in no particular order, except Bloo Kid 2 is the top:

Bloo Kid 2
    Goblin Sword
    Mikey Shorts/Hooks/Boots
    Mos Speedrun
    Mutant Mudds
    Pip

16. lena

lena Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2011
    You're right, and I know. It's strange how easy the entire first world is now. I still can't speedrun all the levels (I did 1,2 and 4) but I found all the coins and the levels are doable. I can understand why people think the game would be too easy with infinite checkpoints and infinite lives. I think if there were infinite checkpoints there should be a badge for "completed level without using checkpoints" (or a different mode, or something else) because I was wrong when I thought this game was only for super hardcore gamers who would want to 100% anyway. Even though I now manage to finish more levels, there's absolutely no way I'm going to speedrun them all.

Am at 3-6 now. Was so happy to finish 2-5 with the large trampoline jump at the end, felt like pure luck at the time, and now the trampolines are back and this is a long level with the first checkpoint at 2 minutes (for me) ... Still the game keeps pulling me back in.

17. xzamplezz

Jan 3, 2012
    @Lena: Be careful of the mushroom trampolines on 3-6, they glitch often, so you don't get the jump boost. It's very frustrating.

@Phil and TBRK: I'll be honest, the over-cutesy art style is a big turn off for me, so I never gave the Beans series a chance. I'll check out those recommendations though.

As for difficult platformers: 774 Death is a sketchy game, but it's insanely hard. And if you don't know VVVVVV, you should check it out.

18. KingOfPhysicsPuzzlers

Mar 12, 2013
    The mushroom trampolines actually don't glitch (I don't think). Took me a while to get used to it. But if you get into a "rhythm" with jumping, it always launches you. Jump, land for second, Jump to launch. Repeat.

Definitely give Beans a chance. Levels are very well put together in terms of having to beat in a certain # of jumps. There was decent time/thought put into it.

Thanks for the 774 recommendation. Never even heard of it. Played most of the ones previously listed.

19. xzamplezz

Jan 3, 2012
    It definitely glitches for me, and it's somewhat frequent. I think it's because you're not running on a flat surface at the edges, so the game doesn't recognize the contact as well. I've never had the glitch anywhere else, because every other trampoline is flat.

20. Felipe MGaia

Aug 7, 2013
    Yes I do think this is quite annoying, too. I don't think this is a glitch, it's just like you said: since the mushrooms aren't flat, and they move up and down when bouncing, you really are not in contact at some points when you land on the slope parts of the shroom. Can't be sure if they used mushrooms here just for aesthetics or to make it more difficult indeed, but it ended up being a bit frustrating.