Universal Mos Speedrun 2 (by Physmo)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by killercow, Sep 30, 2015.

1. lena

lena Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2011
    I'm so glad I persisted in spite of my initial difficulties, thanks to this thread. I'm almost half way now and the game is even better than I expected. This really is a brilliant game. It feels like a homage to old-school and modern platformers. I'm surprised how often I recognize things, and also at new mechanics. It all fits together so beautifully. I love the characters (both Mos and all the different enemies), the level design, and the music. I still fear further levels because if even the hardcore top of the leaderboard gamers say they're having trouble with some levels, I don't think I'll be able to make them, but I'm still in awe about the levels I did get to play.

2. xzamplezz

xzamplezz Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2012
    Don't get intimidated by those later levels. I had a hard time just passing some of them, now I have all the coins on them and speedrunning them isn't too hard. You just have to find your rhythm and learn the patterns of the projectiles.

So where are you right now? 3rd section?

3. philadendron

philadendron Active Member

Apr 8, 2013
    Las Vegas
    What level is that? I only need 5-4, 5-5, and 1-6. Some of those I've been through at least 8 times, just looking for the damn skulls.

4. KingOfPhysicsPuzzlers

KingOfPhysicsPuzzlers Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2013
    I think I found a potential glitch.

I was able to get the 3rd floating eye into its "home" and went back to 1-5 to see what this would lead to. But only two of the "levers" were raised. So, I went back and checked the first two levels with floating eyes. The first one isn't being "recognized", despite my now having put it in the correct spot 3 different times and winning level after without any deaths.

Kinda frustrating/annoying. I am so close to completion of everything.Have all badges except 3-6 and 5-6 speed runs. And now I'm stuck due to what i think is a glitch???

5. xzamplezz

Jan 3, 2012
    #105 xzamplezz, Oct 19, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2015
    It's 4-4. I'm missing 6 skulls. I can tell you 1-6 if you want.

@KOPP: What your UN on Game Center? How did you get all the coins on 4-3? There has to be something to make it easier for the part with the black spiders.

6. KingOfPhysicsPuzzlers

Mar 12, 2013
    UN: TBRK21

Unfortunately there isn't. I sent PM to devs about 3-6 (since answered regarding speed) and 4-3 (coins). It took me a lot of tries, but really just need to luck into falling from the first two webs at right time (ie when no bug right beneath you). So, I go do those two coins first. Then, I carefully go get the rest, which isn't too bad. Definitely took me the longest of any level at getting all the coins, but finally was able to do it. Obviously get very comfortable with rest of level before you go spending a ton of time getting the first bunch (If i recall, it is the first 19 coins of 38 that are the tough ones).

Anyone wants to know skull hints, let me know.

I have 118 of 120 badges, and am convinced that: 3-6 and 5-6 can't be done (speedruns) and that the floating eye has a glitch (the first floating eye)

7. philadendron

Apr 8, 2013
    Las Vegas
    Finally found it. Don't know how I missed that. I suspect my final two will be the same.

Kind of excited to figure out how to fill in some of those missing blocks, and to see where they lead.

8. xzamplezz

Jan 3, 2012
    @TBRK: That stinks. I was getting pretty frustrated with those coins. Those two level times are definitely impossible.

I'd like to know where 3-6, 4-4, 4-6, 5-4, 5-5, and 5-6 skulls are. The exploration is cool, but I'm more a fan of the challenge of getting it then getting to the end.

I just want to say how awesome it is that there's a breaking bad character.

9. philadendron

Apr 8, 2013
    Las Vegas
    I just did coins on 4-3. I found that if I proceed directly to the bottom right portion of the "basement" first, timing works out for the first batch of "blind" spiders there. After that, just some careful jumping over rats. Finally, the top portion of the basement, where you can ever so briefly slide down the walls before dropping on to the spider platforms, giving you a split second's warning before you drop.

SPOILER (minor): Also, you do know you can hold jump to run and jump right through the webs, right?

10. philadendron

Apr 8, 2013
    Las Vegas
    #110 philadendron, Oct 19, 2015
    SPOILERS

3-6 hint: go down in the slime.

4-4 hint: upper left

4-6: elevator shaft (this was the hardest one for me, ugh)

5-4 and 5-5: still looking, last two I need

11. xzamplezz

Jan 3, 2012
    @Phil: But upper left is the troll skull?

12. philadendron

Apr 8, 2013
    Las Vegas
    Oh, that's the troll? Hit the switch, then get out before the door closes. I think that's they key. Lemme go re-do it real quick.

13. philadendron

Apr 8, 2013
    Las Vegas
    Damn, my lunch is over and couldn't find it. Could've sworn it had something to do with getting out after you trip the troll skull switch, but didn't find the skull afterwards. Tripping the switch even moves a block but couldn't find the skull. Sorry man.

14. KingOfPhysicsPuzzlers

Mar 12, 2013
    Skull locations for 3-6, 4-4, 4-6, 5-4, 5-5, and 5-6:

3-6: When you get to those really high "green jelly things that you have to climb through that look like big tree mushrooms"... let yourself fall through bottom of the first one - kind of through the floor via the jelly... not easy after you get through, but you'll figure the way to skull out.

4-4: After the two ropes, you'll jump up to two small floor sections. From the left one, jump through wall to your left (you'll see wall has a bit of indentation showing where the "false wall" is)... go from there and you'll end up finding skull

4-6: While riding up the "elevator", hold left button so you are pushing against left wall as you go up. You'll hit a spot where you go through.

5-4:This one took me forever to find. At the ropes near the end of level... the first rope you jump onto... swing to get momentum and then jump as high up wall on right as can... you'll go through wall

5-5: when you get to the section that looks like a cage background with a bunch of small landing squares with coins on them (no idea how else to describe it)... jump from the top block (second from right i believe) through the ceiling (you might have to play around with where the entry is)... then jump up and you'll go towards where skull is.

5-6: When you get to that section near beginning where the coins are in zig-zag fashion up the walls, you'll notice that the left "wall" has rungs on it. Climb the outside of wall. At top rung, you can jump (hard jump) to a small landing to left. Keep going left and then its a bit of a rough ride to the skull... but, you'll get it.

15. philadendron

Apr 8, 2013
    Las Vegas
    I'm determined not to look at 5-4 and 5-5 until I'm completely desperate, but I have a feeling that'll be pretty soon. Thanks!

16. xzamplezz

Jan 3, 2012
    Thanks a lot guys! You weren't kidding the elevator skull is hard!

17. philadendron

Apr 8, 2013
    Las Vegas
    Yeah, I think that's the most frustrating thing I've completed in this game so far.

18. xzamplezz

Jan 3, 2012
    Well I just ran into the last flame dude on 5-5 with the skull, so that was a huge waste of time...

19. xzamplezz

Jan 3, 2012
    #119 xzamplezz, Oct 19, 2015
    @TBRK: In the steam update, there are fixes regarding the eyes, so I assume the same will be for iOS.

So do you guys have a favorite level? 1-2 is the first that comes to mind for me.

20. philadendron

Apr 8, 2013
    Las Vegas
    Found 5-4 on my own, 5-5 thanks to you. I was hoping all skulls would fill in those missing blocks, but that doesn't seem to be the case.