Universal Mos Speedrun 2 (by Physmo)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by killercow, Sep 30, 2015.

1. jpgold

jpgold Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2012
    Online Ad Sales - Pandora
    New York, NY
    Loving the exploration aspect to this sequel. Turns it into a while other game. I found the secret way into 2-1 but getting to the skull seems impossible.

2. Anotherkellydown

Anotherkellydown Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Bronze

Yeah, I see what you mean about the second rope. I've only tried it about 8 times, but I'm not having any luck either. I have an idea of what needs to be done though.

You can gain momentum before you jump off the mushroom by jumping and landing near the center of it. Continue running while the mushroom is winding up, and release near the edge of it to get good air. Ideally, you'll want to end up somewhere near the middle of the rope and let it swing as far as you can before jumping to the next rope.

I'm going to keep trying this section. As far as the speed run part, that is weird. There has to be a shortcut somewhere...

Attached Files:

3. Felipe MGaia

Felipe MGaia Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2013
    Ok, here are my thoughts on your spoiler part:

That is something I tried to do sometimes, indeed. But it doesn't feel right at all - the slope at the border of the mushroom makes it very hard to do something like that. If you land in its center and keep running towards its edge, by the time you start to go down because of its slope, the shroom is already coming up and collides with you, making you go up a bit. These tiny bounces are a nightmare, they just leave you a couple of frames where you're in contact with the mushroom and can safely jump - the rest of the time you'll be in mid-air and won't jump. Even worse, you have to time your jump in a way that those frames happen when you're near the border, otherwise you won't reach the rope. This looks very frustrating.

I'll try to do this again when I get home. But maybe the speedrun timer is a hint telling us that there is another way?

4. Anotherkellydown

Yeah, I kinda gave up on 3-6 for today. Went back and started finishing objectives I missed on the earlier levels.

I've got the mushroom jumps down pretty well now, but getting to that second rope seems impossible. I might have been a little off describing it the way I did.
    I don't start in the center of the shroom, but more towards the slope on the sides. It might even work by jumping from the edge, then immediately pushing the movement arrow left. All just speculation, as I haven't been able to pass that part yet. I'm not sure this even qualifies for spoiler tags, but oh well =)

Let me know if you make it past 3-6. I'm gonna work on completing level 2 objectives for now.

5. Felipe MGaia

Aug 7, 2013
    Okay, I tried it a dozen more times and I'm not quite sure if jumping on the edge of the mushroom is really the solution. It seems that, the closer to the edge that I jump, the higher I grab on to the rope, and this seems to diminish your momentum. I tried jumping off the shroom very close to the edge without its impulse, and I can grab the lower tip the rope by doing so. But that's still as far as could go, couldn't make the jump to the 2nd one this way, too.

I think I'm gonna go back to that level that has some ropes (cant remember which one) and practice a bit until I'm very familiar with how they work.

Man, that's what I call a huge difficultty spike!

Also, do you know what I gotta do to get the skull badges in each level? I haven't got any so far.

6. Felipe MGaia

Aug 7, 2013
    I went back and trained using the ropes. Prepare yourself:

You can actually swing the rope back and forth! LOL! I can't believe this...
    The speedrun mystery still remains, though.

7. Anotherkellydown

They're hidden behind false walls. I pretty much go through the level bumping into all the walls until I walk through one. That's normally followed by a very long and treacherous path leading to the skull (and a dead end). The tricky part is that you don't get credit for it unless you make your way back through to the finish.

Awesome, that's a huge help! I didn't even try that =)

8. slamraman

slamraman Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Aug 27, 2011
    #48 slamraman, Oct 6, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2015
    Finally got to this today. Everything I want or indeed need in a game - exploration, high/(low) scoring, great music that fits the game and actually makes me want to keep playing, tight as a gnat's chuff touch controls, blistering level design, nail-biting excitement at times. It's a flipping masterpiece.

9. sapphire_neo

sapphire_neo Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2011
    [​IMG]

[thread=272163][​IMG][/thread] [thread=272119][​IMG][/thread] [thread=272090][​IMG][/thread] [thread=270701][​IMG][/thread] [thread=272139][​IMG][/thread] [thread=268922][​IMG][/thread]

Mos Speedrun 2

[​IMG]

is one of the nominees for

Touch Arcade Forums' Game Of The Week

October 2nd, 2015

VOTE HERE

***PLEASE NOTE***

1) Developers, publishing partners, or affiliates cannot vote for their own games. If your game is in the poll, you can't vote for it. You are free to ask TA forum posters in your game release thread to vote for your game... but please don't post multiple messages about it.
    2) This voting is for TA members with some activity. If you have to ask someone to create a new account to vote, you're doing it wrong.
    3) Suspect votes may be void.

Credit to AndyC83 for GotW logo & post layout

10. lena

lena Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2011
    Yeah, this is a hard game! I'm in level 1-3 and I see that only 233 out of 882 people on GC that finished the first level finished this level. That's almost 75% who quit after the first or second level. Granted, some of them might just be taking their time and do a level a day, but still, it's a lot.

11. rIcHrAnDoM

rIcHrAnDoM Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    Congratulations Physmo on TA GOTW, Carters well written 5 star review, and you are shaping up nicely in the forums GOTW, as well. :D

12. fazered

fazered New Member

Oct 26, 2010
    I'm surprised by the lack of questions on this thread! I have one for 1-6:

I have found what assume is the Skull run but I always run out of breath and it doesn't even seem close. It makes me feel there is another way. Am I missing something?

Any help would be appreciated.

13. fazered

fazered New Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Oh dear! I tried again with my brightness turn up this time. Doh that was obvious.

14. Intendro

Intendro Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2013
    #54 Intendro, Oct 10, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2015
    What is the rainbow-glowing floating eye? It follows me and... I cleared the stage with it on me, but nothing happened?
    Found one in stage
    2-1. From the pool of water where the skull is/was, go left and fall down the pit. Go right through the wall.

Every stage for me is showing that I have the last badge (not the skull, the day charm which isn't shown on the stage select. I start a stage and it's shown in red like the badges I do have... But I don't have any of the day charms.)

15. xzamplezz

xzamplezz Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2012
    Happy to finally see the sequel of the great Mos Speedrun. And it is a worthy sequel indeed.

I will say, the controls don't feel quite as perfect as the last, for two reasons (which may be design choice rather than flaw):

1. The character now has more of a momentum effect, so you don't stop as quickly by releasing the arrow.

2. Again momentum, but with jumping. When you let go of jump you fall slower than the original.

The character just feels less agile in general. Like I said though, not really a flaw.

The level design, enemy variety, objectives, and customization, however, are all solid improvements.

Not a fan of the pogo stick zombie. When he gets to the end of his path, it makes for very awkward moments in a run.

Four requests:

1. Give us the ability to move the pause button. It's very annoying hitting it when I'm speedrunning instead of the reset button. A petty request, with a simple solution.

2. Let us race ghosts in prestige! Ghost racing is absolutely huge for me, so I don't feel compelled to play prestige as much without ghosts.

3. Ability to watch replays by selecting player on leaderboard. This would be an amazing addition/improvement, but I know it's a lot to ask.

4. Having leaderboards in the level select menu, like Mikey Shorts. It's kind of a nuisance having to go to the menu every time to look at my position.

Anybody who wants to add me on Gamecenter that speedruns, my name is Xzamplez.

16. jgeirge

jgeirge Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2015
    So is there no actual mfi support?

17. rIcHrAnDoM

rIcHrAnDoM Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    I'm not sure what mfi is but in the options there are options to use Nyko Playpad, iControl Pad, iCade, iCade Mobile and 8-Bitty. Hope this helps.

18. Anotherkellydown

I can confirm that the Mad Catz CTRLi works fine, although I prefer the virtual buttons, oddly enough.

19. KingOfPhysicsPuzzlers

KingOfPhysicsPuzzlers Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2013
    Put me down as another who is wildly surprised this game isn't getting more love in here. I think it's tremendous, and one of the better of the genre of all time.

That said, it is difficult (especially for those of us that refuse to go on to next level before fully completing all the tasks - skull, time, etc). Very difficult.

I am through level 4-3 completely, and its taken a long time. But, I think it is amazing.

One question. I know the subject of level 3-6 came up before. I finally found the skull, and was able to retrieve it successfully - took me a lot of tries. But, I am stumped on the "under 60 seconds" for this level. It seems like there has to be a secret passage or something, since going the regular way, even at full speed... doesn't get you anywhere near 60 seconds. Anyone?

20. nickd3000

nickd3000 Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2011
    indie game developer
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Hi folks, just to confirm that the target time in 3-6 is a bug and we'll get a fix out soon. Thanks so much for playing and for the kind words, makes it worth the time it took to make!

Nick :eek: