Morphite - 3D Planet Exploration Atmospheric Adventure

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by JoshCM, May 7, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    Stellar Horizon is another fantastic space trading game for iOS with a vast universe of 4 billion planets, and it runs just fine on my 4S (with nearly all detail settings to low obviously...). I'd be extremely happy if this was the case with Morphite too :)

2. JoshCM

JoshCM Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Game Designer
    Upstate NY
    bunch of #screenshotsaturday updates for ya

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

3. Leegames

Leegames Well-Known Member

Jul 1, 2010
    Ex. game journalist and EiC now PR
    Denmark
    #123 Leegames, Aug 6, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2016
    Any plans to add a third person perspective?

Even if it is optional and less fancy looking it makes a world of difference for me. Also one of the reasons I played both WoW and Skyrim to death instead of Borderlands. :)

And please please try to make it have more of a populated feel with NPC's than other CMG productions. It seems to me most of your RPG's only have NPC's when they have a function. Just have more creatures walking around, it makes a world of difference to how alive a world feels. On most screens here only one creature is visible and it feels like a reminder of how empty Exiles and Ravensword felt.

The style and atmosphere is awesome though! Will hit buy, just hoping it won't dissapoint in how it feels. :)

4. Samurix16

Samurix16 Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2013
    Male
    USA
    Epic

5. Jayg2015

Jayg2015 Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Male
    Player 1
    Liberty city
    This can't be a mobile game. This is going to change iOS gaming standards

6. atchoo

atchoo Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Oct 20, 2015
    Bassano del Grappa
    I think you are exaggerating, but I like the style, too.

7. VirtualBoyFreak

Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    #127 VirtualBoyFreak, Aug 8, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2016
    I like how clean the interface looks. I guess the screen will be split in two halves to look around with one half and strafe/move with the other, right? Aside from the pause button at the top right, I see buttons which seem to be to jump and shoot (bottom right), to scan the zone/??? (bottom left) and inventory (top left). Will more buttons appear when needed? What is the button at the bottom left used for in screens 2 and 3, btw?

8. JoshCM

JoshCM Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Game Designer
    Upstate NY
    yep you got it right. One of the 'weapons' shown was the beacon, where you summon your drop pod to move into a new location. So the bottom left button is switching between tools/weapons.
    The top left is inventory. Top right will be the mini map/radar.

9. italodance

italodance Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2009
    electrical
    Tehran-Iran
    Nice does it support iPad Pro 12.9?

10. Omnispec

Omnispec New Member

Aug 8, 2016
    Controls

Is it like a rail shooter or will we have the freedom to just move around and will we have space ships? I'm really excited for this tho

11. JoshCM

JoshCM Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Game Designer
    Upstate NY
    Not on rails. Its open in that you can explore wherever you want. You get to fly your ship to any planet you want assuming you have the resources to get there. The ship flight stuff is going to be all map based, pick a syste to go to, and you will go there. We will have randomized encounters in between (haven't figured that part out yet but it should be pretty cool in an old school way)
    Should run fine on iPad Pro assuming Unity supports that which I think they do.

12. Truncana

Truncana Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2013
    Why don't you implement a real space phase whit free navigation and fighting?

13. VirtualBoyFreak

Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    From JoshCM's "ship flight stuff is going to be all map based", I assume that travelling between planets will be more or less as in "Unknown - 3D Space Trader", where you click on a planet in the map and you are automatically put in the surroundings of the planet. If there is a space encounter, it happens in that moment.

I'd love "Morphite" to have seamless travelling between stars and planets as in "Stellar Horizon". In this last one, you're in the middle of space and see all the stars in space. When you center one star in your reticle, it shows you the distance in LY, and you just set hyperspeed and go there seamlessly. If there is a space encounter (asteroids, enemy ships, etc.), speed just goes back to normal and you fight. And when you finish fighting you set hyperspeed again and continue your trip. When you get to your destination, you see the star grow and afterwards the planet and finally the space station.

Morphite could benefit a lot from this kind of seamless travelling. On Unknown - 3D Space Trader, I didn't feel that I was playing on an enormous universe. On the other hand, on Stellar Horizon I have that enormous universe feeling.

14. curtisrshideler

curtisrshideler Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
    I, too, love the seamless travel around space in Stellar Horizon. Mostly, it's just relaxing zooming to a far system and watching as the distance gets closer. I could do without the space combat, for the most part, though. But I imagine that might take a lot more work to implement here. Either way, I'm sure to enjoy it.

15. VirtualBoyFreak

Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    I remember seeing an animated gif of Morphite which was the pilot manipulating the cockpit buttons to activate a hyperdrive. Maybe the action is done seamlessly with these kind of effects, being the loading done in the background without the player noticing... That done in the planet landing too would also be cool.

16. JoshCM

JoshCM Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Game Designer
    Upstate NY
    More #screenshotsaturdays

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

17. zdkazz

zdkazz Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2015
    The biggest issue I have always had with random generated games is the lack of mobs to fight, it makes the world feel empty, so the question is will there be more mobs than what I have seen in the screenshots because it looks a little dead to me

18. JoshCM

JoshCM Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Game Designer
    Upstate NY
    Yeah there will be plenty to fight - we already have a bunch I just haven't really shown anything yet.

19. Claud

Claud Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2014
    New York
    Screenshots are looking fantastic. I only wish a bit more depth would be implemented in space flight with some rudimentary flight model instead of just map play.

20. VirtualBoyFreak

Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    No flight model at all? I thought there was a rudimentary flight model with random space encounters and space battles...