iPad More app space

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by TMAC34, Nov 13, 2008.

1. TMAC34

TMAC34 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2008
    New York
    All of us iPhone and iPod touch addicts that have all of the 9 pages of app pages taken up, hate some of the irremovable Apple pre-placed apps(Stocks, weather,etc.). Well they can be erased to free up app space! All you have to do is move those apps to the last spot on the last page, and then from another page bring an app on to the last page, and the unwanted app will disappear! As you probably already know you can only have 9 pages of apps(148 apps including the ones at the bottom). This seems like a lot to be on the device at once, but there are only about 3,000 apps in the store so it is acceptable to have so many. Anyways, doing this will open up a few more spaces for apps, and in the iPhone addict's case, more spaces are desired!

2. mek

mek Well-Known Member

apple should consider custom catagorization, that could, lets say give you 4 main catagories...
    work
    games
    entertainment
    and custom..each with 9 pages [148 apps to themselves] for a total of 592 total app spaces

3. snow_mani

snow_mani Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2008
    Melbourne, Australia
    Can you access them if you change your mind?

Let's say I do this and send the Apple unremovable apps off page 9 and onto the invisible and unaccessable "page 10". What if I change my mind and decide I really want to access them again? Can I get them back? Will I have to restore my phone to its default settings (and in the process lose saved data in apps I want to keep using)?

4. TMAC34

TMAC34 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2008
    New York
    Exactly man I don't know why apple doesn't do that.
    Maybe like accelerometer games, touch only games, puzzlers, word games,....................................................
    It would be so much more organized. Scrolling through 9 pages stinks, it would be so much faster. I think apple will eventually come through with something like this as there are getting to be so many apps in the store, and not having room discourages buyers, and apple isn't trying to do that. Anyways, good thinking.

5. TMAC34

TMAC34 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2008
    New York
    Lol I actually never thought about that. With the pre-placed apple apps i gues you would have to restore, but with normal apps that you download just go to the applications part of the sync thing, uncheck that app, sync, then check that app and it will be back on your iPhone/Touch as long as you have space for it. But anyways I only did this thing with the ones I know I'll never use like stocks, notes(because I have Younote), and weather(because I have the weather.com app). Hope that paragraph lol answered your question.

6. mek

mek Well-Known Member

i think they will too...they went from one page to 9 pages, probably as a stall solution until they could develop something more promising..or maybe they are implementing this all at a whim, and will improve it as it seems fit...but the thing that matters is that they are doing it
    and they must be doing something right, if all these other companies are following suit trying to make their own market places

7. fpugirl

fpugirl Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2008
    South Bay CA
    I think that if Apple came up with a better solution, people would probably buy more apps. The more you can have on your phone, the better. Especially when you have a bunch of games that you don't want to love your progress on, which prohibits you from getting other apps. Just saying....(hint, hint Apple!!)

8. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    I think it's safe to say that app support is a work in progress - they didn't plan to have third party apps at all originally. People demanded them and they put something together as fast as they could. The current app screens are a quick and dirty solution. 3.0 will probably give us a real one. In the mean time I don't think will see any big changes to the system and we'll probably be stuck with a flat 9 screens until 3.0.

9. mek

mek Well-Known Member

and it wont come until june or September most likely since those are the upgrade points for the iphone and ipod....no reason to fix something that is working until you need to sell more devices by adding more features

MMS in 2011...ftw

10. Everydaynormalguy

Everydaynormalguy Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2008
    Student By Day, Masked Vigilante By Night
    Phoenix, AZ, USA
    Am i having deja-vu? It seems like i've seen this kind of thread before, about 3 times before. Use the SEARCH people...And no, the space available right now is ok. U can't tell me u actually use 100+ apps/games regularly...

11. 1337brian

1337brian Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head
    Oh 3.0, Seems like just yesterday I was dying for 2.0.

12. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    I have more then 100 apps, plus some web clippings. I can't fit them all on at the same time. I doubt I'm alone. As far as regularly using all of them, of course not, but I'd certainly prefer to have them all on my iPod anyway so I don't have to swap apps and pick and choose, and not find an app when I want it. Not to mention that 9 flat pages of apps is already unwieldy. Just adding "folders" would work for me.

13. henr1kk

henr1kk Well-Known Member

Nov 4, 2008
    Independent Game Designer and Developer
    Porto, Portugal
    One of the main reasons I went for an iPod Touch 16GB (2G) + Nokia 5610 instead of an iPhone 3G 8GB!
    That and videocalling, bluetooth file transfer, 3.2mp camera with zoom, flash, autofocus and video recording and, of course, double the storage space :p
    Saved money (80€) and only missed on the GPS! Oh well, seems I'll have to ask around for directions next time I get lost xD

14. TMAC34

TMAC34 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2008
    New York
    Bragging isn't nice. I still like having to carry around only one device better than an iPod and phone.

15. henr1kk

Nov 4, 2008
    Porto, Portugal
    Oh well, it's the price you pay for having it all-in-one style ;)
    Seriously, I wasn't bragging! I love the iPhone and was seriously considering buying it but the features I pointed out earlier are essential for me (VidCalling not so much, just a bonus) and seeing the pinnacle of mobile devices not having some features that even my 4 year old Sony Ericsson has, made me think about it...
    Oh well!

16. mavis

mavis Well-Known Member

Funny, I've had phones with the features you listed for years (I live in Japan, after all) and yet I gladly paid a $430 ETF to get my hands on a 16GB iPhone 3G on launch day so that I wouldn't have to carry around a phone PLUS my iPod Touch any more ... To each his own, I guess.

17. henr1kk

Nov 4, 2008
    Porto, Portugal
    If I had the money for the 16GB iPhone, I would've gladly said goodbye to all those essential features!
    But, sadly, my decision was between an iPod Touch 16GB + mobile phone (with those features) and an 8GB iPhone!
    I think I made the right choice seeing as I have a lot of music, play lots of games and always carry my favourite TV shows with me to watch on the bus to college... And seeing as both devices are pretty small and thin it doesn't really bother me :)
    I will definitely buy an iPhone in a couple of years, though!

But I still find it odd why Apple decided to prohibit BT file-transfer and not include MMS on day 1... I heard that in the USA, MMS isn't all that popular but in most places here in Europe they're quite essential!