Netflix Moonlighter (by Digital Sun Games & 11 bit studios)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by metalcasket, Nov 18, 2020.

1. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    I hate to say it, but I think the community as a whole is probably waiting for more impressions. :/ The high price point and lack of virtual controls seems to be a universal point of contention everywhere you look. That said, reviews of this port in specific seem to be great. Wish I could take one for the team, but I’m gonna have to sit this one out.

achilles1984, atko92 and ste86uk like this.
  2. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    #22 Talbs, Nov 19, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2020
    I’ve got the game on switch and have played it there for a few hours but still only in the first dungeon.
    I’ve now played it basically to the same extent on iOS.

IMO, from what I can tell, and as above, keep in mind it’s not like I have extensive experience, but it seems to me that compared to the switch, the mobile version is easier. I’ve just played a another session on the switch, and it feels like the switch version generally might have a couple more enemies in any given room, and that they move a bit faster and hit harder. And because you’re in full control (attack, block, roll), it feels like every move counts. Whereas on iOS I just let the auto attack make the approach and start attacking and I just have my finger ready to block.....and that’s all that’s been required so far in the first dungeon. Mind you, the boss is still quite difficult, but I do think this actually does come down to the tap controls just being totally not right for this game....still trying to beat the 1st dungeon main boss, which is by far harder than anything else because it requires use of both dodge and block, and the attack prompts from the boss seem to be very brief and subtle. Aside from that boss, Dungeon 1 is more a cake walk on iOS than it is on switch IMO.

Id really like to hear from the developers exactly what they did. The iOS game feels much easier, and I don’t think that can be all just down to the controls. I do feel like they gimped the enemies, and personally I’d prefer they hadn’t.

solarnya, achilles1984 and ste86uk like this.
  3. ste86uk

ste86uk Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    I purchased it and heading for my lunch break now so I should get some time to try it

achilles1984 likes this.
  4. achilles1984

achilles1984 Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2011
    Thank you for the insight. I also would prefer the same experience as on other platforms. If the difficulty is really that much reduced it will be a pass for me on ios. Sadly. Then switch is the way to go.

5. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    Again though, I only have a few hours in to either one and not yet past the first dungeon.
    I’m keen to hear if anyone else has dual experience hopefully with even more hours in the game. And hopefully we see a clarification from the devs about what they did if anything at all.

achilles1984 likes this.
  6. metalwastebasket

metalwastebasket Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2017
    For what it's worth guys, the Pocket Tactics review (a 9/10, btw) says the difficulty of the game is rather high.

ste86uk and achilles1984 like this.
  7. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    The update with the virtual thumbstick has just dropped. Downloading now.

bx59, achilles1984 and atko92 like this.
  8. atko92

atko92 Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2011
    Male
    EV Industry
    England, UK
    Fantastic news! That was quick. Downloading now

9. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    Yep give it a try.
    Imo it is indeed already way better. But now just wish the buttons could be adjusted to help avoid miss-hits.

atko92 likes this.
  10. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Haha, yeah, I just opened up the App Store to see if it had been refreshed for the week, and seeing it Moonlighter, I tapped on it only to find it had been updated. Screw it, I’m in too guys. :)

atko92 and ste86uk like this.
  11. How? The game has 3 difficulty optionala

12. ste86uk

May 9, 2012
    #32 ste86uk, Nov 19, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2020
    So I just spent an hour with the game using the touch controls as I’m at work and can’t download the update yet anyway. I’ll give the new controls a go when they come to see how that feels compared to touch.

Honestly I don’t feel like the touch controls really take away from the game, you can tap anywhere to move and swipe to roll and dodge as your moving and tap new places, I find it makes you pretty agile. A lot of the combat seems to be about learning the enemy movements and attack patterns so I think auto attack just saves you some tedious button pressing as you can still press a button to use your second attack and swap weapons. The second attack for the sword and shield is a block which I found handy when I come against a big enemy I couldn’t roll through.

The combat had been fairly easy but I’m very early in and wouldn’t say it’s a cake walk some of the starter enemies are but I’ve started meeting enemies that hit harder so if your not paying attention to dodge or block at the right time your not going to make it far. That’s from someone who doesn’t use auto attacks in dead cells because I feel like it takes away your tactical options there.

I enjoyed my time with the game and definitely will play more, the worst thing for me is trying to get to grips with this inventory management as I keep separating stacks when I want to move whole stacks or sending them to the wrong bit but I’m sure I’ll get better that that with practice, I guess it’s just not as intuitive as I could have been? But it could just be me.

I think it only saves at specific points so I guess you have to exit the game after one of those, which seemed like after selling in my shop in the day or exiting a dungeon I noticed it saving. Plus you can change difficulty at any time so if you find it too easy on normal try switching to hard.

TLDR - great game so far, didn’t feel like the touch controls took anything from the game and worked well plus the update with a virtual joystick just hit so what’s holding you back? Go get it.

13. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Beats me, bud. Check out the review. :p

Makara Nou likes this.
  14. achilles1984

achilles1984 Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2011
    Thank you. Your review convinced me, I´ll test it. ;)

ste86uk likes this.
  15. Jstorm

Jstorm Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2020
    Male
    Employed
    Earth
    Dungeon part is okay. Not sure if the shop mini-game which is managing the price was really necessary though.

It’s a bit of a pain that I have to scroll through the already owned item list to check the customer reaction. I wish there was an easier to access icon that shows the previous customer reaction while placing an item on the shelf.

16. ste86uk

May 9, 2012
    I enjoy the shop part with the collecting, stocking and selling and once you set the price it always remembers it you just have to adjust it until you get it right or if your like me and don’t want to play a guessing game just cheat.

Here’s a page with all the prices already worked out for you.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1757126124

Jstorm likes this.
  17. bx59

bx59 Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2016
    That virtual joystick update arrived too soon... Another bullet on my wallet.

18. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Having played a bit, I genuinely regret not having picked this up earlier...the tap-to-move controls and auto-attack are so vastly superior to the joystick that I genuinely don’t think I’ll ever turn it on ever again. I can see it definitely being a thing for iPad users, but please, if you’re on an iPhone...tap-to-move for the win.

macplash and ste86uk like this.
  19. ste86uk

May 9, 2012
    @metalcasket I agree, I think it’s just different and not what some people are use to but I couldn’t help thinking how could a joystick be more intuitive than the touch controls? I thought I’d try the joystick anyway next time but with your post I’m not going to bother.

20. ShinHadoukin

ShinHadoukin Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2015
    I’m early in the game but just selling what I have and guessing prices is just ok. I would like it better if you used things you find to craft better items to sell.