Monument Valley expansion isn't free, and I won't stand for that.

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by GaZ-OiD, Nov 7, 2014.

1. Andy C83

Andy C83 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Over the Rainbow
    Same here. I never did finish Monument Valley; one of the many quality games gathering virtual dust on my device. Will give this a proper play through this week.

2. ustwogames

ustwogames Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2013
    Just thought i'd jump in here again and say if there's anyone who wanted to try MV but has been hesitant over the price, send me a PM and I may have a present for you.

3. gemineye62

gemineye62 Well-Known Member

Feb 16, 2010
    This whole thread started because Gaz was upset the next levels were not
    free.

I'm scratching my head trying to understand why he started this thread in the
    first place. I mean, if I bought a game and found it too short & easy , as he stated, I certainly would not get the next levels, free or not free.

Why would you? You would just be setting yourself up for more of the same
    game play that did not excite you in the place.

4. slamraman

slamraman Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Aug 27, 2011
    haha - i don't think he did. A mod must've moved his comment to make a show of it.

5. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    A mod moved it because the discussion was taking over the game thread and distracting from people talking about the game. Seems to turn out though that this thread is more active than the original.

6. slamraman

Patreon Gold

Aug 27, 2011
    haha - hopefully that'll change come thursday. I'm replaying it now and am back to level 6. This and Kiwanuka are short but sweet marvels of game design. Beautiful stuff.

7. Xexist

Xexist Well-Known Member

May 6, 2010
    Canada
    Dont Listen to Eli GAZ! Ive got my angry letter written to Obama and all the other leaders of any country that has its own itunes app store.

They will rue the day they screwed US out of 2.49!

8. HLW

HLW Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2010
    UK
    #68 HLW, Nov 10, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2014
    Forget all that, the totem pole is in the expansion, I might have to buy it then.

9. diaskeaus

diaskeaus Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2013
    Honestly, Monument Valley provided a ton more interesting content than .99 cent games do. Most lower priced games use procedural code, using equations to give you random challenges that amp up in difficulty. Monument Valley had levels that were intimately sculpted for the experience. Furthermore, while they may have been only 'ten levels' in reality there were far more, because each 'level' added on an additional zone to complete, making the final tally FAR more than the ten you mention. The fact that you completed them quickly shows how good of a player you are, not how poor of a developer they are. I spent nearly four to five hours on the game, a good deal more content than most .99 or 1.99 cent games, especially as most of those games are un-winnable without spending at least $20-30 on the basic package through in-app purchases... While Monument Valley had none.

I'm glad they are releasing an expansion and are charging money for it. I was afraid they would feel the need to go free and submit to the spoiled nature of the iOS crowd,mso this news makes me happy.

10. picobots

picobots Well-Known Member

Nov 4, 2014
    TIL that a person exists who didn't love Monument Valley. Strange. MV was one of the loveliest 1-2 hours I've ever spent with a game.

In all seriousness, as a game developer myself, I'm stunned that $4-6 is seen as too expensive for an achievement of this caliber. I wish more gamers could spend a day in a game developer's shoes; I think many of them would be shocked by how much work is required to make even something simple—let alone something as gorgeous and polished as MV.

Monument Valley should cost 3x what it does.

11. HLW

HLW Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2010
    UK
    I can't believe you took four to five hours to complete this game, unless the majority of the time was just admiring it. It takes an hour to complete, maybe two if you are not familiar with these sort of perspective puzzles.

Also, are you talking about a different App Store than the one I'm using? Because my 32gb iPhone is almost full of games, as is my 64gb iPad, and I haven't got a single paid one that requires IAP to complete it. Most of them did cost more than $1.99 though I suppose.

12. HLW

HLW Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2010
    UK
    No it shouldn't. It's a short and simple mobile game. It takes an hour to complete. £2.49 is pushing it a bit, £7.50 would be totally nonsensical.

13. Andy C83

Andy C83 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Over the Rainbow
    #73 Andy C83, Nov 11, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2014
    An hour of Monument Valley is worth more than 10 hours of most mobile games.

14. slamraman

Patreon Gold

Aug 27, 2011
    Not only did it take me a good 3 to 4 hours first time round, I'm doing it all over again. I only ever do that with Mikey games. Monument Valley, to me, is worth every penny and more and quite probably always will be.

15. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    I think monument valley is well worth it

But I totally disagree with this post...

Originally Posted by diaskeaus
    I spent nearly four to five hours on the game, a good deal more content than most .99 or 1.99 cent games, especially as most of those games are un-winnable without spending at least $20-30 on the basic package through in-app purchases... While Monument Valley had none.

Total nonsense. I've got 400 apps on my phone most of which are paid. None are pushing me or need me to but IAPs to complete them at all

Freemium games normally have paywalls but all the paid games I have are fine and most don't even have IAPs.

16. Indyalpha

Indyalpha Member

Sep 6, 2013
    All that guy said is he felt ripped off, I've seen reviews by people who had obviously never played the game get jumped on less. That really didn't seem too harsh?

17. ustwogames

ustwogames Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2013
    But the game came out seven months ago and that was it in it's entirety, you did complete it then. Everything we've done since then is all new content and doesn't conflict with the story that's already told.

18. TangentWorlds

TangentWorlds Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2011
    It's about quality, not quantity. Did you enjoy your time with it? Would you have rather spent the money on a coffee?

Game development is difficult and time-consuming. They could have been spending their time on a brand new game, but consumers demanded more MV content because it's an awesome game. Don't they deserve to get paid for their time?

I'm sorry but a couple of dollars on the initial release does not entitle you to lifetime content updates. That's no way to run a business.

19. DeNappa

DeNappa Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Oct 1, 2013
    Netherlands
    I think that -- apart from the 'spoiled by freemium' market -- there's another important issue here: Non-technical people always tend to *greatly* underestimate the amount of work that goes into a programming job. "It should do this and that, how hard could that be!?". Well, something might sound simple but trust me, it's usually not. Apart from making things work as they should (which is already time intensive), it's often at least that much time for making things not work like they shouldn't. And that's just the programming part. You can also add into the mix things like level design, music/sound effects, writing, playtesting, support for different devices/ios versions, etc. Depending on the size of your team, you can easily spend weeks or months on that. You can't and shouldn't expect all that work to come at the price of free. "If you pay peanuts, you get monkeys"

20. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    The "coffee" and "hamburger" arguments are totally nonsensical. Entertainment time being compared to a drink or nutrition is an apples and oranges argument.
    Better to compare to the price of renting through Redbox or something that involves entertainment time. After all - time is arguably our most precious resource and people finding something is not worth their time, or feeling like the money spent was not equal to the time spent is a very powerful argument.

I love the new update. For me the money is worth the time.