Monument Valley expansion isn't free, and I won't stand for that.

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by GaZ-OiD, Nov 7, 2014.

1. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

And if you don't understand how that's unnecessarily harsh and contributes to a hostile, negative environment for developers, you don't belong here.

2. GaZ-OiD

GaZ-OiD Well-Known Member

May 8, 2012
    London, UK
    Then ban me Eli,

Just be consistent and ban everyone else who has an opinion you don't agree with

GaZ

3. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Just to reiterate, this isn't a difference of opinion, it's entirely how you choose to convey it.

4. ste86uk

ste86uk Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Many many people said how short the game was but that they were still happy with it because they enjoyed it regardless. It took me a month or more maybe to decide to buy and see if everyone was right as so many times I try on other opinions and dislike a game. We all like different things but this game is pretty much the only game i remember recently where I played it sparingly so it would last longer and had moments where I worked something out for the first time and thought f*** off because the way they did things were very clever.

As with Tiny Theif which I really liked I'm happy to pay for extra content on games that deserve it. With these devs it's far from a shameless money grab for an update compared to if a company like EA were charging for one as they tend to do things pretty terribly....for me at least.

But like people here said feedback and opinions are welcome and everyone Is entitled to their own, but it doesn't cost anything to make it constructive and be respectful.

5. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    From what i read in the exchange, i'd ban him. LOL.

I've seen people complain about things and criticize constructively... Me included. A few expressions of hate, but not as aggro as GaZ's posts in this thread.

Instead of a possible discussion to how the game is or is not worth it's price, plus imsights on the addition of an upcoming paid update and its worth, the thread became one guy's fit, a few guys attempts to end that, and how the fit got fat. LOL.

6. slamraman

slamraman Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Aug 27, 2011
    Damn!! Missed this. Whilst Gaz was wrong, I wouldn't have banned him. But then, I wouldn't ban anyone. £2.49 is bugger all to pay for almost anything. I've lost more running for the bus.

7. spader623

spader623 Well-Known Member

Jan 18, 2014
    Dude, please... Stop. Your trolling attempts are failing and aren't funny.

In the off chance your not trolling, your being extremely aggressive about 'your opinion'. Ok, you don't like the game. You have valid concerns with it being short and easy. But, your being a humongous butt about it. And when Eli has an honest answer, you basically have a hissy fit and think he's 'stifling your voice'. Stop acting like a victim. Your not one. Have some meaningful discussion or you probably WILL be banned for just blatant trolling.

8. miroa

miroa Well-Known Member

May 22, 2013
    He is already banned :-(
    Some battles are not worth fighting for.

9. ThomasUK

ThomasUK New Member

Nov 8, 2014
    Hi,

I'm a long time lurker, and I stumbled across this thread which made me register!
    Although GaZ-OiD puts the point across a tad aggressively, I think the guy has a point.

I purchased MV, and whilst it looks lovely, I was very disappointed with the length of the game. I don't buy many mobile games, but when I do, they tend not to be £2.49+. Does that make me a cheapskate? Maybe. I've purchased too many paid games that I either do not play anymore or they only last an hour, and you could say that I've been burnt in the past by paid games.

£2.49 is a high-end price on the AppStore, perhaps I'm wrong, but I expect more than an hours entertainment out of it, despite how it looks.

I found MV a massively missed opportunity, and because of the length of MV, I thought it was be kinda nice if the first DLC is free.

But obviously I'm in the minority as it appears to have sold very well and I hear it won a lot of awards.
    I'm cool with that, grats to them, but its just my opinion.

Thomas.

10. coolpepper43

coolpepper43 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    Hello Thomas. I do wish they would make the first DLC free like you said or maybe at least a few free new levels because I have a bad feeling that once or some time soon after the DLC comes out they will just probably permanently drop the game price to $2. I just have this feeling, idk. All I know is ill be getting it no matter what. :)

11. kmacleod

kmacleod Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jul 1, 2009
    Artist / Writer / Designer
    California
    Yeah, screw those developers for trying to turn game making into a sustainable business! I payed a couple of bucks 2 years ago, all the work they've done since then should be free!

12. miroa

miroa Well-Known Member

May 22, 2013
    I wonder how you would feel if some people were to tell you to work for free.

13. coolpepper43

coolpepper43 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    Ya!!!

14. Look Gaz, I don't know if you're lurking in this thread or not, but I'll give you a response that I feel you should have been given 16 hours ago

---

It may seem a bit too harsh that you have to pay for this new content, especially considering that the majority of new content on iOS is free, but there is a reason for this. In order to create each level in a game like this, it's got to take a hell of a lot to work. That's probably why they're coming out 7 months after the game ended up being released. The challenge that creating each level would contain is pretty hefty. ustwo need to think of new levels which stick to the same artsyle as the rest of the game, whilst having a challenge (or attempt, depending on your view of them), whilst still needing to do any new textures and music as well. Each level would need to take quite a bit of time to make, and they need to make 8 of them. That's nearly double the content of the base game itself. Whilst the game may have gained a lot of downloads, it may have ended up being uneconomcial to release those level for free. Hence the price tag. The economic effects may be worth more than the social effects.

It may not be worth that much to you, but from your reactions, you might not be the target audience for this expansion. The game may not seem quite that impressive to you, but it was to many more people and those people will end up paying for the expanision. It isn't because ustwo don't care about the consumer, it's because it's one of the few ways for them to turn a profit from this. It may not seem like a good purchase to you, but it is for many more. That doesn't mean it's a bad purchase. Because people have a differing opinion in video games, it doesn't mean your view is any less than anyone elses.

I will agree that your stance was agressive at first, but I could see why. In a response as well, you did properly explain your stance on this with a more calmer attitude, and I'm glad you did that. People could have easily misconstrued you as an ignorant arsehole (and they have), but at least by that response, you've shown you can be more respective. You shouldn't have been banned whatsoever for it. I don't know your position, but maybe iOS gaming isn't as much as a prority to you as others here and you don't have a budget to spend on iOS games like others here. In that case, it's more understandable why you would not have a positive opinion to something like this.

Anyway, don't let your banning cause you to change your opinion. Your opinion is perfectly valid to have, you don't need to have the same viewpoint as everone else here (hell, I love seeing varied opinions so this place doesn't seem to be more and more of a circlejerk). If you don't think purchasing the new content is a good idea, that's fine. If you don't think this game is a good purchase, that's fine. Just keep your opinions respectable and the only people who may complain about them may not be worth arguing with.

--

And to everyone else in this thread who decided to attack him for his opinion, I'll just leave you this thought for you to think about yourselves:

"It's human nature to assume you are doing good, regardless of what you're doing"

15. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    So you buy an iPhone for about £300 yet a game for 2.49 is high end ? Yeah the game was short GAZ, I mean Thomas but I just thought 'only £2.50, more content will come'. Do you then think games with 30 hours of gameplay should be priced proportionally? So £20 ?

Games in the 80s cost a fortune more. A quality game comes along which is a 'bit' short and people complain like anything

16. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    ^LOL... Dat logic with $ proportional to length of game. :D

If it's a buck an hour, i wouldve lost $500 on MHFU iOS alone.

Anyways, do we know the price of the MV expansion yet and how many new levels we're getting?

17. slamraman

slamraman Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Aug 27, 2011
    $1.99 US/ £1.49 or so UK money.

The thing that's put me off TouchArcade a little (it's my only real online indulgence) is some of the bannings in 2014. It got somewhat beige for want of a better word in TA over the summer. I don't always agree with what I read but I do like a bit of diversity of opinion, even when it's expressed badly.

18. chaos_envoys

chaos_envoys Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Medical Doctor
    Pokke Village, Indonesia
    This!!! What matters is the experience, not the lenght.... Like Agarest war and Shadowrun for me... Agarest is longer, but more boring than shadowrun... I'd say, MV is a beautiful game, and IMHO, every penny I spent is worht it.. I'd gladly buy the update~

19. Leegames

Leegames Well-Known Member

Jul 1, 2010
    Ex. game journalist and EiC now PR
    Denmark
    #39 Leegames, Nov 8, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2014
    I completely agree. I hope the difficulty gets ramped up in this release though. But still I don't regret for one moment getting the original, which at times felt challenging, but at most felt like a great experience. And I surely do not mind the choice paying for extra levels if the alternative is a freemium hell. :)

20. Shaun Musgrave

Shaun Musgrave Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2013
    Freelance writer, teacher, business owner
    Ibaraki, Japan
    Eight levels (same as the base game) for $1.99.

My $0.02 on this whole thing, since I did write the original review:

I think judged by the standards of the iOS marketplace, getting an hour and change of gameplay for $4 and paying for updates both feel expensive. That said, I think both the notion that games should offer hours of entertainment for free or a couple of dollars and the idea that games ought to be updated with new content for free are two of the biggest illnesses facing the iOS market. Many express discontent with the current direction of iOS gaming, and while I think from a player's point of view, we're still drowning in riches, from a developer's point of view, it's ugly, and that's owing to those two illnesses.

To be fair, customers didn't come to that by themselves, as developers and publishers certainly share a great deal of the blame for putting those ideas in place, but whoever we ascribe the blame to, the reality is that both ideas are quite harmful to developers now, and that means it will be harmful to us as players *later*. Why should a small start-up be expected to provide new content at no cost? Why should we expect hours of play for the price of four races in Daytona USA arcade? Why do we, as "core" gamers, feel the need to buy everything just because a lot of people like it, and then get upset over our (rather minimal) loss of investment when it doesn't work out? Have we even finished all the games we already bought? And why should developers try to parse all of this when they can just go to Vita or Steam and not deal with it at all?

Like it or lump it, our attitudes as customers need to change in big ways if we aren't happy with the current direction of things. If the most we're willing to pay for a premium experience is like $5-10, that's kind of insulting and not economically viable. If we're going to pay under a fiver and then get upset when a game is short or isn't updated free forever, that's also kind of insulting and not economically viable. Whether games are economically viable or not isn't directly the customer's problem, but it certainly will become one, left unchecked. Look at the Bardbarian guys, as one example out of dozens. They made a great premium game. Lots of people loved it. Got top ratings from lots of places. Didn't make its money back. Released on Steam, did a lot better. Why? I guess it doesn't matter, because their next game isn't coming to mobiles first or possibly even ever. And they're not the only ones.

Now, don't get me wrong, it's not as though we shouldn't criticize or point out things we're unhappy with. It's the only way things get better, after all. But we have to think if what we're pointing out is something they can fix by any means other than moving to a different platform. Saying "I feel that $4 is too much for such a short game, and I would like you to release something you worked on for several months for free to compensate" has no compelling reply except to pick up sticks and move to a platform where customers don't have such wild expectations. And I'm not sure that's really what we're hoping for, is it?

I don't know, I'm just spitballing and ranting a bit here. I guess the upshot is that we should criticize as we see fit, but let's try to consider whether our criticism is constructive, whether answering it leads to positive outcomes for us, and whether we'd feel comfortable saying such things to the developer's faces, because we kind of *are* already. Let's be excellent to each other.