Monument Valley expansion isn't free, and I won't stand for that.

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by GaZ-OiD, Nov 7, 2014.

1. GaZ-OiD

GaZ-OiD Well-Known Member

May 8, 2012
    London, UK
    #1 GaZ-OiD, Nov 7, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2014
    Free new levels or paid for after the ten level rip off when this game came out?

Sorry to sound harsh but the original release was a joke, nothing more than a ten level interactive easy demo for £2.49

Gaz

2. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Yeah you didnt get much for your money but lets put some perspective on it. It was only £2.49 ! Think we're losing sight of the cheap cheap games we get on iOS.

I've spent £2.49 on some apps, hated it then deleted it a few minutes later. So i'm sure most people got enjoyment out of this app

Looking forward to the new update/levels etc

3. GaZ-OiD

May 8, 2012
    London, UK
    Ok £2.49 is not the end of the world but an hours "gameplay" ?? With no real challenge felt like a rip off. I have played a ton of 69p games that were better, challenging and with a ton of levels. This simply felt like you was buying into "a look what we done graphically don't it look nice" but with no real substance or challenging gameplay. I certainly won't be paying another penny unless there I see here there is a decent amount of both challenge and levels

GaZ

4. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Cool, well why don't you wait until reviews of the expansion drop before further derailing this thread with the toxic mentality that paying for anything is synonymous with being "ripped off." This is the reason why free to play exists.

5. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Fair enough. I still think its hardly anything to pay towards a dev, it was a huge hit so now the dev can do more. 'Perhaps' some devs need to release a promising short game (some might say demo) in order to then see if its a success, it is so they can really do the full 'meat' of the game

IF the levels are say $2 people will moan. However if this game came out at a full priced $4.99 people probably wouldn't complain !!

I'll be supporting this, people moan about tons of freemium, here an indie dev has created something special, i'm supporting it 100%

6. rIcHrAnDoM

rIcHrAnDoM Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    Harsh but true. I've been of the same mindframe lately but trying to get others to "get it" is like trying to break a cinder block with a rubber clown shoe.

If you watch that video a few post back about the "making of" the expansion and don't feel compelled to support that...you might be living in a different world than I do.

7. GaZ-OiD

May 8, 2012
    London, UK
    Eli
    Maybe you can explain where the thread has been derailed?? Because someone dare to disagree with you perhaps?? Who said paying for anything was being ripped off??

Hopefully your take my reply like a man or will you just delete me??

Thirty plus years a gamer, spent a fortune of ios games in the last three years and if you think my views are toxic your the one with the problem.

No need to apologise to me.

GaZ

8. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

The way this trend goes, someone plants the seed that paying money means you're being ripped off, and the entire thread shifts from discussing the actual game to dog piling a developer for the audacity of wanting money for their work. It happens in every thread with anything to do with IAP. It's chasing both community members and developers away, leaving us with only the most militant iOS curmudgeons who both hate free to pay and hate paying for things.

9. GaZ-OiD

May 8, 2012
    London, UK
    Eli, Thanks for not deleting me and I understand what your saying but does this mean that members can only say good things about every game? I thought the whole idea of a forum and I run one (not a gaming forum) was about discussion.
    Ok there needs to be a balance in every thread posted about every game. My views in other posts of other games that I like are never called toxic and as paying customers whatever the cost we have a right to make our views, good or bad known. NOT IN AN OBUSIVE WAY but in a way that that tries to highlight the good or the bad. I found MV far to easy, far too short and lacking in gameplay, on that basis it was not worth the money. A lot was said on the very same lines when the game was released, there were plenty of complaints about what was on offer and the lack of it. I think there was lots of hype before the game came out and that did not do the "game" any favours because many found the "game" to be over before it's actually started. It felt like a quick fix before the main event and there was no main event

GaZ

10. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

If you don't understand the difference between constructively explaining what you didn't like about a game and calling it a "rip off" before dropping the mic I don't even know what to tell you. This harsh, toxic attitude is having a very measurable negative impact on our forums.

11. GaZ-OiD

May 8, 2012
    London, UK
    Your really are not reading what I'm saying are you?? Ok here goes again, explaining what I did not like about the game

1: it was far too short
    2: it was far too easy
    3: it never felt like a game but an interactive demo.

Was I the only one at the time to make these criticisms??

Now can you please answer me??
    Are we only allowed to say nice things in case the Devs are reading (not just this game but any game) or can we express our delight/frustrations without the worry of upsetting devs/members providing as I said it's not done in a way that slags off either.

It's not for you to decide if we can only talk positives and not negatives or you will lose more members

GaZ

12. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

We are losing members because of the overly vocal crew of people who seem to just hate video games who do everything they can to squelch anyone's excitement for anything. If I have to choose people and developers who are excited about games and talking about games or people who are just mad and negative I'm never going to choose the mad and negative people ever.

Sorry dude. :(

13. GaZ-OiD

May 8, 2012
    London, UK
    As I said, I'm a thirty plus year gamer so you can deduct from that, that I don't "hate" video games, I have played thousands!!

How long have you been playing Eli?? Have you never disliked a game dude #

I take it your not going to answer what I asked, you really should put a sign up saying only good thoughts/views only as negative views are not welcome

GaZ

14. Pipipitchu

Pipipitchu Well-Known Member

May 4, 2013
    Civil Servant
    Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
    ...And it was wonderful. I loved each second and it worths each cent. And I'm glad to pay two more coins to be blown away by that experience again.

If you didn't like the game, I recommend you not to get the expansion. Just don't get the expansion.

15. GaZ-OiD

May 8, 2012
    London, UK
    #15 GaZ-OiD, Nov 7, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2014
    Each to their own!! I'm certainly not saying to anyone dont buy the game, I'm giving valid reasons why I never liked it and got called toxic but the Eli dude #

Remember it's all about free speech and opinions #

GaZ

16. Fretz

Fretz Member

Oct 22, 2014
    You're old enough to know the difference between constructive criticism and a temper tantrum about being ripped off for half the price of a hamburger. If you came here with the intent to be an adult and contribute something useful to the conversation, you wouldn't have started crying about an update you haven't even played yet.

Have whatever opinion you want, but throwing a fit is going to get you labelled as toxic, no matter what the opinion is.

17. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
    What you're not understanding is that it's not about the fact that you're saying something negative about a game, but HOW you're saying that negative thing. You called this game a rip off, which is implying that the developers purposely misled you or swindled you out of your money. That's just simply not true, as evidenced by the many, many, many people who loved the game and felt it was well worth the price or more. Buying what you think is a solid gold necklace but turns out later to just be a gold-plated necklace is being ripped off, buying a solid gold necklace and then after the fact feeling like it wasn't worth the money to you is not. That is the difference.

Ironically, in one of your later posts, you put your feelings towards the game in a very succinct and respectable way:

Had you simply said that in the first place, I can almost guarantee this discussion wouldn't have gone off the rails. But instead you put it in a way that implied the devs somehow screwed you over.

18. GaZ-OiD

May 8, 2012
    London, UK
    "Free new levels or paid for after the ten level rip off when this game came out?

Sorry to sound harsh but the original release was a joke, nothing more than a ten level interactive easy demo for £2.49

Gaz"

If you think that's having a fit, I suggest it's you that needs a doctor.

19. GaZ-OiD

May 8, 2012
    London, UK
    Boardumb

Maybe "rip off" is a translation thing, I'm from the UK. I agree no one twisted my arm to buy the game but rip off would be used as not value for money as opposed to the fact I was mislead in conversations I would have here in London.

GaZ

20. miroa

miroa Well-Known Member

May 22, 2013
    All work deserve a salary