Universal Monument Valley - (by ustwo)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Apr 2, 2014.

1. d0mino

d0mino Member

Oct 6, 2012
    Incredible game, but criminally short. It's worth the $ but don't expect a long (or extremely challenging) journey, just a beautiful one.

2. Hypocrypha

Hypocrypha Well-Known Member

Mar 28, 2014
    Blown away.

Just. Blown. Away.

3. Hypocrypha

Hypocrypha Well-Known Member

Mar 28, 2014
    #143 Hypocrypha, Apr 3, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 3, 2014
    Let's put it this way, idc how short it is, it's breathtaking. I bought Milie for $.99 and deleted it. This I'll play at least twice hust to experience it.

4. wigzisonfire

wigzisonfire Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2012
    Art Director
    London
    My first REAL 5star experience since the incredible sword and sworcery.

Music, visuals and gameplay are incredible. It is games like this that make iOS a credible platform.

USTWO, hats off to you.

5. mr_bez

mr_bez Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    He doesn't seem to have written a review for a while but he wrote at least three news articles yesterday.

6. russiaone

russiaone Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2009
    Pimp
    San Francisco
    I'm completely stupid and found this quite easy and short at about an hour long.

But again, non-idiots will probably breeze through this in about 30 minutes.

Do i feel cheated?

Not at all.

I feel like a lot of effort went in designing something like this.
    And it absolutely tore at my heart strings when the totem pole came crashing through the castle and began swimming after the protagonist.
    That sold the game for me.

However, i get a distinct "this is only the lite version" vibe, as it really is short.

Really.

However, i see myself playing through again, because it looks great, sounds even more awesome, and is fun while it lasts.

7/10

7. falco

falco Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2013
    Canada
    Its a beautiful little game, a little suggestion here maybe take your time do 1 level a day...

8. coolpepper43

coolpepper43 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    It's sad the game is so short that we have to do this. I know the average ios owner will be super pissed if they spent 4 bucks and the game lasted 30 minutes. I am predicting a crap load of complaining in the reviews. I haven't even started the first level but I am sure this will happen.

9. I don't know what else to say except the truth. It's visually amazing and the complexity is great. $4 just didn't do it for me. If I knew then what I know now, I would leave it be. I read comments about food costing $6. That's a pretty lame argument.

10. PeteOzzy

PeteOzzy Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Norwich, England
    A better comparison would be that a cinema ticket costs around £7 to see a film an hour and a half long. The game costs £2.49 and lasts half an hour to one hour. Seems pretty reasonable to me, especially if the game is as good as everyone suggests.

I get that it would be preferable to be longer though and I'm not trying to criticise you in anyway, I just feel that it's not such a bad cost/enjoyment ratio as you do and that's fair enough :)

11. coolpepper43

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    At least I can show it off and get people jealous. I REALLY hope the dev makes more levels and makes them free for first buyers.

12. o0oJAKEo0o

o0oJAKEo0o Well-Known Member

May 23, 2012
    Full-Time Student
    KCMO
    #152 o0oJAKEo0o, Apr 3, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2014
    This must be a joke? Please quit playing iOS games now! this should be promoted not given bad ratings for its length. This in turn would encourage more games of this quality, with great length and 3-4 times the price.
    What is worth $4.00 in your opinion? Game or anything...

Get a job!

13. o0oJAKEo0o

May 23, 2012
    Full-Time Student
    KCMO
    I have not found myself as impressed with a game since Bastion. Ustwo please please keep it up. You have restored my faith in you. Thank you for letting me pay you $4.00 for a magnificent game. :)

14. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Yep this is exceptional. I'm taking my time with it, not saying one level a day or that but i tend to just generally take my time with games, take in the graphics, just enjoy it rather than rushing through trying to complete it in minutes (not saying people here are just sometimes on other threads you read about some guy completing a platformer in 2 hours etc)

From what people say it sounds very short BUT i dont mind, i hope this game does well for the dev so he does a sequel. I mean just selecting your level and seeing that cube spin round and the number appear is great.

An amazing looking game, i'm not normally one for 'puzzle' type games but i couldnt not try this specially after so many great comments from everyone. This is one of those games where i'm so glad i've got an iOS device, lets all leave great reviews (if you like it ) and try to convince the dev to create a sequel

15. coolpepper43

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    Bastion was good but IMO not one of the best things I have ever played on ios. I would compare this to the magical experience I got from the first Room. I did have some magical moments when they would play that awesome theme song as you progressed through levels.

16. ZorakZoran

ZorakZoran Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2010
    France
    Awesome game. Presentation is top notch, the general "mood" of the game is incredible, it's intelligent... Ok, as I read it, it's quite short, but I don't mind !

Thanks a lot ustwo, great job !

17. ustwogames

ustwogames Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2013
    Hi guys, we're back in the studio so we'll be on here answering any questions you might have!

Also, massive thanks for all the kind comments, makes us feel like concentrating on quality as our primary aim was all worth it.

18. Apokalypso

Apokalypso Active Member

Sep 11, 2012
    Just finished the game, took me around 1-1.5 hours all up. Although it's a bit on the short side it was a great game with a unique mechanic and gorgeous visuals. The game reall started to shine in the last few levels and if an update could add more levels of that calibre or even more intricate that would solve my one gripe. Good work ustwo on another great game!

19. o0oJAKEo0o

May 23, 2012
    Full-Time Student
    KCMO
    Please continue to do so...

20. d0mino

d0mino Member

Oct 6, 2012
    Hi ustwo! Incredible game. Well done. Gameplay is fun, challenging and intuitive and the presentation is beautiful. Are you planning a sequel? Or to add to the existing game? I want more!