Universal Monument Valley - (by ustwo)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Apr 2, 2014.

1. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    With all the glowing reviews (and probably big site reviews to come), I doubt that'll happen.

unless Flappy Birds: The Resurrection comes out tomorrow.

2. Hey, good luck with your launch! The game looks really great! I sure hope this game doesn't bomb!

3. nkarafo

nkarafo Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2011
    I hope you will meet your sales expectations and continue with added free bonus material (new stages, etc).

4. o0oJAKEo0o

o0oJAKEo0o Well-Known Member

May 23, 2012
    Full-Time Student
    KCMO
    This game looks fantastic but, with Whale Trail, ustwo made it free, took away all my progress, ruined my favorite game, and gave me some in-game-currency in return :( I was very disappointed with all of this...

5. ustwogames

ustwogames Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2013
    I can say with 100% certainty that we will not be making Monument Valley free. If we do release new content, we also want to bring some of that for free and not all paid.

6. TheFrost

TheFrost Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    Whale Trail was a 400,000$ investment, I will love to see you with that kind of debt in your hands and how you handle it... sorry you lost your dollar ^^

7. jaggi

jaggi Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2013
    #67 jaggi, Apr 2, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2014
    Edit: I was wrong.

Can't wait for tomorrow.

8. Bronxsta

Bronxsta Well-Known Member

I literally just started playing and already the game just oozes polish and passion. The visual upgrade from the beta is instantly apparent

9. o0oJAKEo0o

May 23, 2012
    Full-Time Student
    KCMO
    The dollar was not lost. I got plenty more than a dollars worth out of it before the changes.
    My issues revolved around them changing the one game I played everyday, in a way that ruined it for me.

10. o0oJAKEo0o

May 23, 2012
    Full-Time Student
    KCMO
    Well then, you can have my money 'cause this looks incredible :)

11. slamraman

slamraman Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Aug 27, 2011
    I think I'll finally be able to forgive the whale trail go to free thing with this one. Whilst I know it was only a pound I just didn't agree with the principle of it. I'm an accountant in real life and the costs quoted wouldn't all have been direct costs (ie they'd have included for overhead absorption) but anyhow what's done is done and thins looks tee-rific.

12. garret44

garret44 Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2012
    Hah I was thinking the same thing

13. ustwogames

ustwogames Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2013
    Even though we do love Tycho it's actually a guy named OBFUSC who is equally awesome. It's his music in the Documentary and Teaser Trailer as well :)

Go buy his stuff because he's a really nice guy.

http://www.obfusc.net/

14. Bowflexman

Bowflexman Well-Known Member

May 9, 2011
    This looks incredible. Really like seeing games like this on ios.

15. garret44

garret44 Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2012
    Will check out his work

Did he produce in game music as well?

16. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Ho-lee-crap this game is sooooo good. At first i was like "that was one stage?" Then i pressed on and completing chapter 4 told me all i need to know about the purchase. This will be one hell of a journey as this game is all about going through fantastic puzzles in a gorgeous package.

I am quite sure in saying that this far surpasses Echochrome.

Dont know how else to describe the game.

Just buy this game, WITHOUT WATCHING ANY PREVIEW VIDEOS and you will be in for a treat.

17. nkarafo

Mar 2, 2011
    Do we know if this game has any replayability? I believe that when you finish 10 stages, it will be over very soon. Don't flame me, I know this game is gorgeous (I was a beta tester too) but the play time is my only concern and nothing else.

18. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Games like this rarely have any replayability outside of playing through the experience again, and this one is (as you already know from the beta), fantastic.

There's a reason why i finished Unmechanical 3 times already, and Curse of Monkey Island, Ghost Trick and Shardlands twice now, among other adventure games on different platforms, even though i know how the story unfolds and i've got some of the puzzle solutions fresh in my mind.

19. nkarafo

Mar 2, 2011
    ..Ghost Trick ... such an awesome game!

20. Bronxsta

Bronxsta Well-Known Member

Ah yes, Chapter 4. I remember that was when I knew this was a game I was going to love.

I need to play this game in bursts, because completing a chapter sucks. It's an experience I don't want to end.