Universal Monument Valley - (by ustwo)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Apr 2, 2014.

1. coolpepper43

coolpepper43 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    Same, this is getting ridiculous. I'll get it but it seems that people who were first adapters have gotten pretty screwed on this one. If it wasn't for a good cause I would have been very angry.

2. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Think its a bit OTT if people are moaning about it

I got Monument Valley when it came out, i dont expect this to be free for me. If i bought Monument Valley this week , say 2 days before this update i might be a bit annoyed if i didnt get this free level as '2 days later' i would have got this for free.

But either way the moneys for charity and its ONE dollar

Edit - Just bought it

Going to be depressing if people are moaning about this non stop

3. cloudpuff

cloudpuff Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2013
    lazy layabout
    uk
    So new players who buy MV over the next week get the Red chapter included in the £2.49 ? The people who bought before pay 69p. I can see a lot of negative comments coming again. Might have been a better idea to put the game on sale again for the week and have new buyers pay the 69p.
    I have every confidence the level will be worth the money and I have no problem with it but I can imagine some of the people supporting the game from day one and defending the expansion being pack being paid a bit miffed as new buyers are paying the same price but with extra free level. Hope it doesn't cause too much drama.

4. cloudpuff

cloudpuff Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2013
    lazy layabout
    uk
    Is anyone else getting crashing after signing into iTunes?

5. coolpepper43

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    All they had to do is not make the level free to new buyers and make it paid for everyone. You have to admit that it doesn't make sense to make it free for new buyers. Am I a crazy jerk to think this?

6. chris1a

chris1a Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2010
    Sweden
    It's 99c, don't think anything I'd say. :)

Consumables and IAP = NO-NO & devs with no clue.

Real actual content (like level packs for monument valley) and IAP = Yaaaay!

7. redranch91

redranch91 Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2014
    The new payment system is perhaps not the most carefully thought out one.I was fine purchasing the expansion pack and I am more than happy to fork out anoter 69p for the extra chapter but now hearing this,I feel it's a tad bit unfair that customers who have supported the devs from day one are getting the lower end of the deal which is literally none at all.I've already bought the level anyways.I guess it's no point quibbling over something as trivial as a pound or two.I just hope that the devs would in future be more thoughtful of their initial customers when they intend to attract new ones and devise a better system.

8. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    But that's always the case

I buy an app at launch and say it's $4. 2 weeks later it's $2. I'm personally not bothered but people could moan early adopters lose out on price drops

I like what wayward souls is where it was cheaper to buy upfront and then every update the price went up

But come on people. It's 99c and for charity. If you don't want to spare a dollar simply don't buy it. Depressing times when people go OTT about some 1 dollar expansion where the money goes to charity

9. nicodemus82

nicodemus82 Well-Known Member

Yep same thing happens here.. :(

10. falco

falco Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2013
    Canada
    All my icons are red so lame, for how long ?

11. GregB

GregB Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2009
    The chapter is awesome. This isn't just a throw away for charity. One of the best levels IMHO.

12. curtisrshideler

curtisrshideler Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
    Yup. I could only sign in once and then crash. Now every time I tap on sign in it crashes before I even can input my password. I am trying to give them and RED my money, but it's not working.

13. Jerutix

Jerutix Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2009
    Male
    Ministry
    Oklahoma
    #553 Jerutix, Nov 24, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2014
    No joke. That last section at the top of the windmill was one of the most difficult sections for me. It was good stuff.

Was it free if you had just bought it or if you buy it in the (RED) window? They are giving the whole purchase price to (RED) during the promotional period, so for those of us who bought it way before, we wouldn't be donating anything to get the level free. This is all about raising money to fight Aids, after all.

14. coolpepper43

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    What order would you recommend someone to play this game? Base game and iaps?

15. drrobert

drrobert Member

Nov 15, 2014
    Masterpiece.

16. Infinity89

Infinity89 Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2013
    Base game levele 1-9 then the IAP levels and then base game level 10 and then the RED episode.
    It's my order anyway so done may have different opinion.

17. coolpepper43

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    Awesome! Thanks for the info. :)

18. philodygmn

philodygmn Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2012
    #558 philodygmn, Nov 24, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2014
    What a perfect coda to a superb game. These RED levels exhibit exactly the creativity I'd hoped for from ustwo!

Two of Forgotten Shores' new mechanics, level 2's twist and level 6's switch-back perspective, meld beautifully in the 1st RED level—and do so _without_ feeling creepy or dangerous. The sound design is _excellent_, especially for the twisting…though it's still a bit dark and kind of spooky, sonically it is quite satisfying how it meshes with the ambient track.

The abstract one was a trip, and the sound design was _phenomenal_! So original and so visually striking! Bravo!!!

The bottom one I absolutely loved, as well, especially how both sound and background tracked the manipulation for a whole-composition effect! Brilliantly fun puzzle design, as well, and begs the switch-back perspective with doorways and transforming components in the terrain added...

The rotating columns one was just fine. Nothing too terribly special—the composition, either—but perfectly valid and straightforward Monument Valley fun.

The last one was initially a stumper only because the required first main leap is onto a tile that was so obscured I literally didn't realize it was there for the tapping, from that view, until process of elimination yielded in my mind that it _had_ to be, and I tried tapping what I could just _barely_ see. Excellent puzzle design on this level, though; I'll just know, in future, to play with an unsparingly sharper eye for slivers of tiles if in potentially strategic positions…the fact rotation coupled so tightly to position on this level made it a sticking point unilke its role in previous levels (nearest being the final portion of the original's level 5, The Spire).

Would you believe it took me a while for the very last part? Should be painfully obvious! *LOL*

Wonderfully well-done, ustwo! My only regret is it just shows how much farther afield these mechanics' potential ranges, and makes me hungrier than ever for more—be it this or another title—all the more so in your aesthetically capable and dramatically entreating hands. Thank you for so soon providing so welcome a repast answering to the most pressing possibilities presented by Forgotten Shores—and then some! For just a single dollar, and for a good cause. Anyone for whom the price is an affront is welcome to deny themselves this excellent experience for the privilege to be known as one for whom compassion holds no appeal to expense. Foregoing this is a mistake—on multiple levels, IMO.

19. Infinity89

Infinity89 Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2013
    It's not like I'm conplaing in fact I'm more than happy to pay just I want to ask those who bought the game just now. Does it generate a code when you click on the link? For those who get it free!

20. amn624

amn624 Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2008
    publisher
    Nassau County, NY
    This is hands down the best thing I have ever played, game or puzzle. Brilliant from every aspect of design, including graphics, music, sound & puzzle mechanics. Totally awesome. If they publish it, I'll be all over it from day one. Thanks, USTWO. Love you guys!