Monument Valley - A game about beautiful impossibility

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by ustwogames, Dec 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bronxsta

Bronxsta Well-Known Member

Yeah I just picked the first because each chapter just gets better and better, but I wish they had just been an option to skip the least favorite question.

I haven't had a least favorite, they'll all good and different

2. Bronxsta

One feature that I think would make the experience more enjoyable than it already is, is for the game to save your progress mid-Chapter. Twice I had to play through Chapter V from the beginning (had to sleep, had to go to class) and each time meant I had to restart the Chapter

3. Bronxsta

As for elements I'd like to see more of in levels, I really liked the Fez-esque level rotation in Water Palace. I just get a kick out of rotating the level and seeing the perspective and architecture change. So I'd like to see that mechanic used more. You could even have levels rotating on different axis.

4. ustwogames

ustwogames Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2013
    Thanks Bronxsta,

All super quality feedback! We're actually interested in putting "checkpoints" into some chapters, do you think it would really help with play sessions?

Also I guess we weren't expecting players to like EVERY level, but i'll add it to the questionnaire.

Thanks for playing btw, really appreciated.

Dan

5. Bronxsta

#45 Bronxsta, Dec 12, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2013
    Me again. I guess everyone else is sticking to emailing feedback or they're just too engrossed in the game. Another feature that I think would especially help those playing on iPhone, would be to let the camera stay zoomed in. I noticed you could zoom in but then it would return to the the original setting once you removed your fingers. For someone playing on a smaller screen (such as myself) letting us zoom in closer would make it easier to manipulate things in the environment and tap where we want to go.

Edit: feedback up to Chapter 7
    - I found the difficulty curve a bit off. Not sure if the focus will be challenging perspective puzzles or a more relaxing light puzzler where the focus is on simply enjoying the art and mechanics. If it's the former, then I think the game needs more complex and complicated puzzles. If it's the latter, the game is excellent as is

- The first five worlds slowly become more complex, adding full environmental rotation, enemies that had to manipulated and avoided, etc. I felt The Labyrinth was most puzzle heavy chapter and the one that me made pause and think the most. Then the Descent was very easy, especially the last part of the chapter. Then the Box, while not hard, was by far my favorite visually, due to the cool flip-up style and opening the box to reveal the levels inside. But overall I felt the Chapters after The Labyrinth have not been on par with the previous Chapters' level of puzzles or complexity

- Now regarding The Box, I can't figure out how to activate that last purple light. The other three, I activated but the last section, I don't see a door that leads to it and can't figure out how to reach that area

6. TheFrost

TheFrost Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    Just finished playing the beta (questionnaire filled) and its extremely awesome. And that without sound, most of the graphics and music. Cant imagine how immersive it will get with the that and more levels. Also, a level editor awarded when you finish the game would be perfect. And a community to share and download new ones. Even my mother wants it and that says a lot. Cant wait to play whats next :)

7. Dazzlemi

Dazzlemi Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2010
    #47 Dazzlemi, Dec 13, 2013
    Finished all 8 chapters... Fantastic game. Filling out questionnaire now. Music or sound effects would be nice. It ramps up nicely. Some I thought I was lost in the 7th and 8th levels.
    Hopefully there are more levels in the actual release version. Still, fantastic game.

8. slewis7

slewis7 Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    Retired!
    Houston, TX
    In that last area, you do not use your character to trigger the switch. Instead manipulate the platforms so the bird creature walks over the switch.

9. Bronxsta

So simple...
    Thanks

10. MikeNintendo

MikeNintendo Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2013
    Finished 5 chapters, and it's awesome. So far didn't see any bugs or problems with the game. Every cool puzzle (like walking on the wall, or that part when you rorate the whole building feels like "WOW".
    Will finish it a bit later.

11. ustwogames

Jan 31, 2013
    Seeing people share spoilers and secrets on your game is a weird but massively awesome thing.

12. MikeNintendo

Aug 6, 2013
    Okay, finished it. Overall i really liked it, except from the 8th chapter. The part when Ida was swapping her position to a pretty wierd one (not just walking the walls, but .. i can't even explain it with words, but i guess you know what i mean, if it's not a bug).

Would love to play it with music and more levels (if there will be more) when the game will be released.

13. Bronxsta

#53 Bronxsta, Dec 13, 2013
    Almost finished (game crashed at the end of Chapter 8, when I was
    rotating the stars
    )

My other feedback still stands. Difficult curve is weird (or not depending what the game's focus will be on) and I would like to see more complex puzzle elements in the latter Chapters, and more just manipulating the levels like in Water Palace. That's why I really enjoyed The Box, it was just so fun manipulating and opening the world, and watching the level literally unfold and each button caused the level to shift and move.

Unlike the above poster, I also really like The Tower. I found that rotating my device helping a lot in that level, and I'd love to see that aspect used more (different level layout when viewed from different angles). As someone who learned a lot about illusions and perspective in psychology, I thought it was absolutely fascinating how, at first, you'd exit a door and it would look weird, but then I rotated my device, and it took for a second for my brain to adjust before the layout made sense. Loved that

Overall, if the game was just this, these eight Chapters, it's already fantastic. The art style, the whole aesthetic and puzzle elements, the animations of the shifting levels, the tactile nature of manipulating the levels with your finger, it's all so so good. I usually never play through a whole game so fast, but I just wanted to see what new level design and puzzle came next, and wanted to experience more when I reached the end of the eight chapter

Now for some bugs and glitches:
    - Noticed a weird glitch in The Box, when coming from the yellow area to the blue area, I wouldn't be able to make my character move when I entered the blue area. I'd tap on the ground, but nothing would happen. It would be fixed by closing that area of the box and then opening it up again. Then the tap to move would work like normal

- Yellow pillar clipping through level architecture
    [​IMG]

- Game crashes only once, and that was at the end of the Tower chapter

14. MikeNintendo

Aug 6, 2013
    I will try rotating the device, didn't think about it.

15. ArellaTV

ArellaTV New Member

Dec 13, 2013
    Amazing game.

Registered here just to congratulate you on an amazing game, let alone beta! I absolutely loved it!

I found out about it from Kotaku, and I'm glad I stumbled upon it like I did. The box was my favorite! So creative, and it's really satisfying when you figure everything out :).

It definitely felt short, but that was probably because I liked it so much/ I was addicted. On my Ipad 2, there was a very minor graphical glitch at the descent level, where a little part of the water overlaps the dark part of a middle staircase (after the water descends twice I think). It's not really big deal, though, as it's barely noticeable. Or maybe it was part of the design?

The story really hit me harder than I expected from this type of game. It felt pretty deep! It's weird that you can achieve such level of characterization without any words or dialogue (besides the dude sitting around). Loved the ending especially! Can't wait to see the release. I'm ready to buy this suckah!

/end long fangasm

16. ustwogames

Jan 31, 2013
    Those later levels in the final chapter are a real mind bender at times, we think that they will be much easier to read and understand once they've had visual work done to them as well.

Personally I also feel rotating the device works best, just to get my head around things.

17. Jake-gumbleton

Jake-gumbleton Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2012
    Freelance concept artist
    Uk
    The more I read here the more I want to play this thing :) I pinged you a mail a couple of days back but never heard back. Is the beta closed for now ?

18. MikeNintendo

Aug 6, 2013
    Yay, thanks, rotating the device works fine!

19. ustwogames

Jan 31, 2013
    You must have slipped through the cracks Jake, check your PM's :D

20. Jake-gumbleton

Jake-gumbleton Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2012
    Freelance concept artist
    Uk