Universal Monument Valley 2 (by ustwo Games Ltd)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by TouchArcade Bot, Jun 5, 2017.

1. ROGER-NL

ROGER-NL Well-Known Member

May 21, 2012
    Male
    Gamer.
    THE NETHERLANDS
    #61 ROGER-NL, Jun 7, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2017
    Yeah you are right but I said sorry and apologized but it's good now right ha ha.

2. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    I said nothing about your post or TheGreatEscaper's opinion on the game out of respect. My post specifically targeted the whole "Apple are behind this" implications.

3. That was based on the fact that they had sworn several times they were done making MV and my own disappointment with the puzzles here. It was one possibility I considered to explain it. Conjecture. Not an absolute fact. I'm just trying to understand why we got what we got.

4. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Believe me, I understand that.

Look, to me at least, Monument Valley is all about the experience. It's taken a long time for me to figure out I really can't stand puzzle games (sorry, to both you and Escaper :p), so I'm fine with taking in the sights and sounds of MV2 over the more intricate puzzles of the first.

The thing is...you've said it a couple of times now. We weren't supposed to get a Monument Valley 2. We did. Why look a gift horse in the mouth? Especially this early on. Perhaps, just like the first, expansions will come. Maybe we'll be looking at something that tops off even Forgotten Shores later down the line. Who knows?

5. TheGreatEscaper

TheGreatEscaper Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2014
    #65 TheGreatEscaper, Jun 7, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2017
    Hey, I'd love to hear some opposing thoughts. I'd definitely have nothing against another one or two playthroughs, so if there's anything you'd like to challenge, feel free to do so.
    The more I think about, the more I realise just how pretty this game was - and that the production quality of the artwork was more than enough worth in this game. I think, as a sequel, I went in expecting one thing, development of mechanics - and got something entirely different, a lovely little set of interactive scenes - something just as valuable and worthwhile, just not what I was looking for at the time.

Yes, the game was stunning, visually. Yeah, I got a little bored of tapping doorways and buttons.
    It depends on what you're looking for - I can see how the visuals would be more than enough to make this someone's GOTW, or even a GOTY candidate (there aren't many things as pretty as this).
    There were many things I appreciate about the level design; it was definitely well thought through, but these things that I appreciated about it were how accessible it was made. An early totem puzzle where the whole length of a path makes totem's flat top line up perspectively with the path behind it, forcing players to notice this imporant trick, is one such design choice I noticed. Everything was signposted, cohesive, approachable.
    I doubt that any more than a small proportion of players would say this is a difficult game, or that it requires much thought - if you are of this opinion I'd love to hear your thoughts on the level design.

And I think that's just the key reason why, for me, Monument Valley 2 was not an all-in experience for me. My eyes were there, my heart was mostly there (I still enjoy trite storylines yknow, :p ), but my mind was elsewhere. I love art galleries, I love experimental experiences, but that's usually because they are new, they are unique, and they challenge my expectations. There's no denying how beautiful this and the original are. I've never been a big fan of movie sequels that weren't planned from the conception of the series, and perhaps it's a bit of that same personal value speaking here. Monument Valley 2 was just as, if not more visually varied and pleasing than Monument Valley 1, but it was the same beautiful. It was the same pretty. I appreciate how approachable and how aesthetically well-crafted the game is, but as someone who values greater than both of these things some subversion of genre, and creative, challenging puzzles, this was not a rounded experience for my gaming perspective. In the end I think it's a simple matter of what things you value most in a game, and that's why Monument Valley 2 is fabulous. Just not for me.

(And, heck. Most people would be able to stand the games I usually play for about 5 minutes before deleting, so it's not like I can say I've got a more cultured view :p it's just a different view, and one hopefully useful to anyone it's a similar set of values to me.)

6. I can appreciate that. I hated Yankai's Peak, as much as I wanted to like it. For me, the fun lies somewhere between this game and that one. But even Old Man's Journey provided more of a challenge for me, and I think most people would consider that interactive art.

As for a possible expansion, I'd have mixed feelings about that, which I went into in my review, so I rather not write it all out again: http://www.appunwrapper.com/2017/06/07/monument-valley-2-review/

I can't speak for GreatEscaper, but for me Forgotten Shores was everything I ever wanted from MV. I mashed that buy button hoping for more of that. It didn't need to be on the same difficulty level -- I get that they want it to be approachable. But at least treat us like we've done this before, maybe?

7. Remote_

Remote_ Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

May 26, 2011
    UK
    As a diehard fan of MV and a real advocate of art / games / interaction this is about as beautiful as it gets. The simplicity of the stripped down visuals is just gorgeous and the sound design, for me, surpasses the original (and that's saying something as someone I know worked on the first one!)

And yet, this never felt quite as interactive to me. I never quite got the same sense of discovery as with the original game. A series of vignettes and set pieces that held my hand all the way through is how it feels to me.

That's not to say it's not a luscious experience - it really is. But it seems somehow - I don't know - simplistic in comparison.

I don't regret for a single minute smashing the buy button, but it's not quite up there for me.

And the immediate merch link when you finish felt a bit unnecessary too!

In summary: a beautiful experience while it lasts but puzzle-wise, not as satisfying as its predecessor.

8. brianj22

brianj22 Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2016
    I think unwrapper was commenting because I pretty much indirectly quoted them and you agreed.

9. Andre

Andre Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2012
    Damn! only 1 word "AWESOME"! ########

10. anthony78

anthony78 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2015
    Don't understand all the hate towards people that have anything negative to say about this or any other game for that matter. If I came to this forum just to only get sugar coated positive impressions of games, why bother? I think a forum like this is supposed to have opinions on games -- good or bad.

Anyway, this is a beautiful game but do agree it's a bit uninspired compared to the first -- and especially Forgotten Shores.

Didn't I read that the many of the original devs from ustwo are no longer with the company? Have to wonder if that is part of it.

That said, this is still fantastic. Just not on the same level of all time greats as the first IMO.

11. Andre

Andre Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2012
    Did anyone finish the game? Is there an IAP to add more levels after the end, as Monument Valley 1?

12. TheGreatEscaper

TheGreatEscaper Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2014
    #72 TheGreatEscaper, Jun 8, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2017
    Not yet. Fingers crossed!

13. brianj22

brianj22 Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2016
    To my surprise, I've been chipping away a few levels at a time and it hasn't ended yet. I think I near the end though. The experience has been sublime. I plan to play MV1 in it's entirety after this including Forgotten Shores and then I'll play thid again. That mechanic with the trees and light is too cool!

14. macplash

macplash Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
  15. EfratBarTal

EfratBarTal Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2011
    Female
    CEO
    Tel-Aviv
    Nice. Never got it because I didn't care much for the first one that much.. but for free I'll try it for sure.

16. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Some of these 'games gone free' threads are depressing. You now see why some devs go the freemium route !

17. macplash

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    Even if you didn't care much there was a lot of stuff going on around the first game. A lot of purchases went straight to charity and whatnot. It wasn't really about the game itself, more about the message that was behind it.

18. macplash

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    I hope this is not aimed at me as well just for pointing out the game's free at the moment.o_O

19. EfratBarTal

EfratBarTal Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2011
    Female
    CEO
    Tel-Aviv
    I was not aware of any of that. The game (both, actually) is definitely visually and audibly pleasing and it's good to know proceeds go to charity.

20. macplash

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    Well, the (first) game had a rough patch during the release of its first DLC because it wasn’t free and people went nuts and bombed the game with negative reviews. Ida’s dream - the 2nd DLC was all about charity. It’s been mentioned here on TouchArcade as well, of course. Just saying.