Universal Monument Valley 2 (by ustwo Games Ltd)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by TouchArcade Bot, Jun 5, 2017.

1. HelperMonkey

HelperMonkey Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2009
    Iowa
    Another Monument Valley inspired puzzler?....
    Boring!
    Get an original idea, you unknown developer of unknown games!

2. kaywib

kaywib Member

Feb 2, 2015
    Played the first two stages. Brilliant. Insta buy!!! I would definitely buy any updates to this game to support the devs. This is how you make mobile games or games to any other platform. There aren't many games that can conjure up the feeling of amazement but this one does. Keep up the good work devs!!!!

3. kaywib

kaywib Member

Feb 2, 2015
    You know this is from the devs of monument valley 1 right? Or perhaps I am missing the sarcasm. #

4. ROGER-NL

ROGER-NL Well-Known Member

May 21, 2012
    Male
    Gamer.
    THE NETHERLANDS
    Wow what a surprise and that on 7lilwhitewolf7 his birthday declare the man holy now.

5. HelperMonkey

Dec 16, 2009
    Iowa
    I know. Only joking. The original made such an impact that almost everything seemed to show some Monument Valley influence for awhile.
    Now I only hope that usTwo can raise the high bar they set for themselves.

6. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    This is MONUMENTAL!

That is all.

7. brianj22

brianj22 Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2016
    So maybe it's not for everyone but this is arguably one of the biggest releases in the history of iOS, maybe people have the Monday's but I have no idea how this thread doesn't have more chatter.

8. ste86uk

ste86uk Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Since I played some of the original again recently I'm finding this pretty easy but still more of the same and still good. Happy to have picked it up.

9. Tres333

Tres333 Member

Mar 17, 2013
    Any news on game length or number of levels yet? Excited to play this game!

10. 14 levels, but two of them don't count, so 12.

Not very long, but they do introduce some new mechanics. Once again, wish it had been longer/harder.

11. limbo

limbo Member

Nov 22, 2013
    What a lovely Surprise

12. Tres333

Tres333 Member

Mar 17, 2013
    Thanks. About the same play time as the original as well? Still excited about the gameplay based on your video.

13. #33 AppUnwrapper, Jun 6, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2017
    I didn't time it, but probably?

There is a really cool thing I noticed only after playing for a little bit. The shape you draw at the end of each level is always unique, like a snowflake -- you mess around with it and decide what it looks like. And it gets saved to the level select screen until you replay that level and change it.

14. brianj22

Dec 14, 2016
    You need to savor life a bit more! The game has been out for 12 hours. I always put games down as to not get through them too quickly.

15. brianj22

Dec 14, 2016
    AppUnwrapper my bad I'm a dumbass misread your name. Can't very well run a site that does reviews and walkthroughs if you don't complete games! #

16. HelperMonkey

Dec 16, 2009
    Iowa
    ####

Too right.

17. squabs

squabs Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2012
    Wow completed in under an hour... was fun though, but I think the 1st was better, the novelty factor has worn off a little since then

18. ROGER-NL

ROGER-NL Well-Known Member

May 21, 2012
    Male
    Gamer.
    THE NETHERLANDS
    Played 8 levels, it's really great loving it, Ustwo rocks.

19. TheGreatEscaper

TheGreatEscaper Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2014
    Hey, I love Monument Valley, I love UsTwo, just not sure if this was 100% necessary. It was enjoyable, and oh boy the art was FANTASTIC - this is maybe one of the prettiest things I've played around with in a while - but I really think it was just lacking something to make it special.

Hear me out here.

The original Monument Valley had a lot of things going for it - great artwork, novel concept, but most importantly, masterful execution. I can still remember when I turned a structure in level 4 around to be greeted by a waterfall and a pool, and I gave a little gasp. I'm sure everyone remembers the iconic Box, where it could be opened in different ways, revealing different little scenarios each time, before eventually unfolding to a big sprawling structure. We meet Totem, and it was plainly adorable. Nothing to it. I remember the sea sinking in the last level until it was sunny again. It was simple, it was earnest, it was varied and creative without seeming like it was trying too hard.

I was pleasantly pleased with the expansion, Forgotten Shores; it had a great cinematic opening, it had those wacky and wonderful twisting paths, it had that level where you controlled waterflow, a pretty creative set of puzzles by a waterfall, that brilliant monochrome world which turned up the Escher-esque to the max, and, of course, the final level which was a pretty fun set of challenges.
    Even Ida's Dream was pretty awesome. That level that was entirely flat but expanded like a cascade was very charming.

Monument Valley Two was a fun time, but when it finished I was happy to press the delete button and I don't think I'll remember it for very long. The story was pleasant, but it was very... trite? I felt like there were a few shameless attempts to try to evoke emotion. Admittedly, this was present in Forgotten Shores too, especially regarding Totem, but the original set of 10 levels were bare bones - the story that was present was a bit of a mystery, and that's why it was so effective. When Ida descends, lays a flower at a grave, and you see the giant expanse of graves - you feel like you've followed her a long way. And when she transforms, and flies away with the crows, you kind of have no idea what's going on apart from the fact that it's a really great emotional release. Here, the entire plot seems kind of laid out at the start, and it's just a matter of going through the inevitable separation, growing up, and reunion.

The puzzles were hugely lacking this time around - and I don't have a problem with easy games, but I have a problem when the level design becomes repetitive. I know this sounds harsh, especially for a game where every level has it's own graphic design, but the heart of most new mechanics in this game is the same. The trees looked lovely, for sure, but how are they functionally different to moving platforms? Teleporting door on Totem was a cool gimmick, and basically the only mechanic here I remember as being utilized in an interesting way in puzzles.
    The levels all looked really great, but where are those magical moments of discovery? Where's that moment you turn a structure around and you're greeted with a beautiful and unexpected sight? Where's that moment you open a box and you get something different from the first time you opened it? In Monument Valley Two, what you see is what you get. The only 'gimmicky' level I can recall offhand is the one with the nested levels of different colours. Sure, it has a nice visual effect, but how exactly does this change the way I play the level? Not at all. It gave me a moment of 'this is pretty', but no oohs or aahs or the enjoyment of fiddling with something and having my curiosity rewarded.

Don't get me wrong here. This is a game with a lot of love and effort in it. Maybe it's just me talking as someone whose standards have skyrocketed for no rational reason at all. But I think it's safe to say that the app store has changed a lot since the release of the original Monument Valley. On my iPad, I've experienced many games that I'll remember, games with great art (Year Walk, Samorost 3), games with great atmosphere (Cube Escape, The Room Trilogy), games with great puzzles (Zero Age, Hexcells), games with a great variety of interesting mechanics (Yankai's Peak, Tetrobot & Co.), games which feel like the exploration of another world (XON, Limbo), games which make me feel like a curious kid (Oquonie, Blackbox), games with great stories (Device 6, Dr. Stanley's House), I could go on and on here.

Monument Valley was one of those games.

I'm glad I bought Monument Valley Two, I'm glad I could support UsTwo, I'm glad I could experience a wholly enjoyable game. More of the same is never a bad thing! But more of the same is just that - same, and no longer special. In an industry where I as a gamer am privileged enough to have access to such a great multitude of unique experiences, where I as a member on this forum am privileged enough to be able to express my opinions, I just feel like I have to say it - I didn't need Monument Valley Two. I wasn't in love. I won't remember it. It's more of the original, with less magic. I dunno. Apologies for the wall of text. Congrats on making it through :)

20. Sadly, I feel the same.

Also, maybe I'm imagining it but it feels...slower? Like, replaying any level feels slower than the original. Not because of challenge, just waiting for things. There's a lot of "tap here and watch them move to that spot."

I love making your own shape at the end of each level, but this whole game felt like "we don't really want to do this but Apple made us." Still gorgeous, but a lot felt like we did it before, like the same thing with a shiny new coat of paint. The few new mechanics that were introduced got held back...either to keep it approachable to everyone or to keep something for an expansion? Not sure. I was hoping for it to pick up from the expansion, though, and give me something to sink my teeth into.