Universal MonstroCity – Monster City Rampage! (by Alpha Dog Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Alpha Dog Games, Jan 19, 2017.

1. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    #21 Vovin, Jan 24, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2017
    Stupid idiot spammers, I just hope their buttholes get haunted by one million camel fleas.

2. TheVimFuego

TheVimFuego Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2014
    I don't mind this at all, not usually my kind of game but the upgrade process seems fairly balanced and timers fair enough (might get tougher at higher ranks though).

Matchmaking seems OK and I like the fact the multiplayer isn't versus people directly eliminating the problem of bad manners and abuse.

The graphics are bright and have a sense of humour.

Controls in battle are more directing the attacks indirectly but once you realise what you need to loot/destroy you can strategise accordingly.

I'll be playing for a while yet and hope the pay wall doesn't appear anytime soon.

3. Alpha Dog Games

Alpha Dog Games Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2012
    Founder, Creative Director
    Halifax, Canada
    App Codes!

Hey everyone!

Thanks for the welcoming replies - the team appreciates it!

Here's another few App Codes:
    MHKRJJRPAYTA
    NERA74EYYLAP
    HK3JYM77XFR9
    NLAPTLWJLALR

These codes should work for about a week as we have a new update coming.

Android Builds:
    Yes, we will have Android available in some countries for soft launch very soon. :)

4. Back2funk

Back2funk Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2010
    England
    Thank you for the code, I have redeemed NERA74EYYLAP.
    This looks like my kind of game.

5. Bloodangel

Bloodangel Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2011
    Retail
    England
    All codes redeemed :(

6. Godtangit

Godtangit Member

Apr 25, 2010
    So, here's my thoughts after the first couple days

Firstly, the game is great. I'm having a lot of fun (I'm also a very active Castle Clash and Clash of Clans player, so I DO like these type of raid games). The theme is new and refreshing, and the monsters themselves are pretty neat. Initially I felt I wanted more control during battles, but found that you can maintain pretty decent control by smart usage of monster ability. My only concern comes with strategy in syndicate wars later on - would be amazing for Monstrocity syndicate wars to achieve the level of complexity that Clash of Clans currently has in competitive clan wars.

I did notice that once I started upgrading my monsters, my playing time decreased significantly. I'm pretty much not able to raid enough resources to recharge my heroes, and thus I have to wait for my buildings to produce more resources before I'm able to play again. Personally, I'd prefer a significant decrease in cost (and time) for monster rest time so I would have a reason to not close out the app quite as often.

I'm still a bit on the fence so far on this game. I foresee myself playing it for a while at least on how much I'm liking the look and theme of the game - really looking forward to see how (and how often) the devs will go about tweaking and updating the game!

7. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    No, not the raiding game to make a raiding convert out of this non-raider (that would probably require proper, traditional RTS combat with a much greater focus on skill and strategy that what the Clash of Clans paradigm offers).

But at least from early appearances, this seems like a treat for those of you who do enjoy the genre! Very polished and quite charming.

8. Alpha Dog Games

Sep 20, 2012
    Halifax, Canada
    Thanks for the feedback! Our team is fully dedicated to supporting this game. We have a roadmap for adding new features, new monsters, new defenses, game balance, and strategies on a regular basis. Our plan is to alternate how these roll out in updates to keep the game fresh and interesting. The next update (coming soon) will have new monsters, defenses and game balance.

Interesting point on your play time as you upgraded monsters. Thanks for letting us know!

Once you get to controlling 3-5 monsters in battle it gets pretty interesting and a lot of fun. Advanced updates on features like leagues and more depth in Syndicate Wars will surely go a long way in your player experience.

9. Alpha Dog Games

Sep 20, 2012
    Halifax, Canada
    Thanks Ayjona! RTS and strategy games are in our blood. I was on the original team for Warhammer 40K: Dawn of War and Company of Heroes. We felt the controls in MonstroCity are just enough for players to focus on the mayhem in battles while also making decisions in real time on their phones. Monsters still auto target buildings if you leave them alone but their abilities allow that extra control to target buildings.

10. mgarz

mgarz Member

Feb 28, 2013
    I'm really enjoying playing this game. I never got into the whole clash of clans type games, but something about the rampage style destruction made me bite. Played for a good hour or so, all went well. But then I got to a point ep9 urban planning, that slowed the whole game down to where I'm opening the game just to play for a few minutes before there's nothing else to do but wait. It seemed quite well balanced up to that point.

11. BC1377

BC1377 Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2016
    #31 BC1377, Jan 26, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2017
    That's not mine xD BTW, if anybody want a promo code for Monstrocity feel free to PM me, i got one ready xD ---->>> TAKEN xD

12. TheVimFuego

Dec 7, 2014
    There are a couple of humps but it gets better once you realise which resources need to be managed to get both the building/upgrades going and maximising play time.

I can get a pretty long raiding session in now before I need to wait for the creatures to recharge (and whatever I'm building/upgrading to complete). Also, if you can evolve a creature their energy resets so waiting until they are nearly out is best.

I don't go for Clash type games either but I'm liking this, it's somehow less brutally confrontational to be able to strategise an attack without a 'live' opponent.

Once you get a few creatures going and learn their strengths and weaknesses it really opens up.

Not got into the syndicate thing yet.

Might push some $ the Devs way if this keeps up, nicely done.

A couple of observations ... I got matched against the same opponent multiple times in a raiding session (around 5) so this may need to be tweaked. I also went up against a rank 13 as a rank 6 ... it did not go well!

13. Alpha Dog Games

Sep 20, 2012
    Halifax, Canada
    This is a good point. I think this mission is a little too difficult for the progression at this point. We adjusted the strength of the defenses which makes this particular mission on the difficult side. Thanks for pointing this out. :)

14. Alpha Dog Games

Sep 20, 2012
    Halifax, Canada
    Thanks for playing VimFuego!

Rampages: Rampages are win streaks. Crates rewards go up in value as you put together a good win streak. However, the difficulty of cities does get more challenging as your streak goes longer. This would explain why you got matched with a higher level city (however you probably shouldn't get matched to that high of a city). The other thing is that since we have lower player numbers starting out, you may see some cities more than others. This will lessen as more players join and create new cities to be challenged.

15. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    That's some resumé, man! Explains the level of polish and design chops in MonstroCity. And yeah, I do think you've hit a really sweet spot for a compromise between automation/casual play and manual control of units.

There are actually a few full RTS titles with traditional mechanics (even if they are sometimes interfaced with in a non-traditional manner) for iOS, and I never felt out of control, overwhelmed or underperformed even on my iPhone 5S (heck, not even on my iPhone 3GS) screen. But I can certainly see why that might not hold true for all types of mobile gamers, and why the simplified RTS paradigm of social raiding games has a much broader appeal.

16. jsr310

jsr310 Member

Sep 29, 2015
    Thanks for letting me know!! If there's going to be some promo codes for androids I hope I get one!!

17. TheVimFuego

Dec 7, 2014
    Ah, that figures, thanks, I think I was on a (rare) 6 win streak.

Took a punt and bought the starter pack, hope to see the game take off. :cool:

18. Alpha Dog Games

Sep 20, 2012
    Halifax, Canada
    New Monsters Coming!

New monsters coming next week!

[​IMG]

19. TheVimFuego

Dec 7, 2014
    #39 TheVimFuego, Jan 28, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2017
    Cool.

I'm getting a "Network Error" for some of my Revenge attacks.

Others seem OK and my connection is rock solid (today anyway).

Maybe the account no longer exists for some reason?

Also I just had a Defeat replay that didn't match the result. The replay showed that I'd won and the % destroyed was wrong.

20. Alpha Dog Games

Sep 20, 2012
    Halifax, Canada
    Update 0.9.5 Released!

Hey Everyone,

We have a new update released today! For those of you who installed using App Store Codes, you will need a new code to continue playing as codes are only good for the version you have. Please PM me for a new code. :)

Quite a lot went into this build so I won't get into everything. Here's a summary:
    - New monsters are added: PFC Panda, Misty, Rocky Balboulder
    - Facebook Connect issue has been fixed
    - Game balance to various monsters and defenses has been tweaked
    - We have a new Rampage system for win streaks that is more rewarding than previously
    - Some Single Player Cities have had their defenses scaled back as it was too hard for early players
    - Monster recharge times and costs have been adjusted.