Universal Monsters Ate My Birthday Cake (by Cartoon Network)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, Jun 25, 2014.

1. truechicken

truechicken Active Member

Mar 20, 2014
    haha nah, the main problem i think was the repetitive enemies and bosses, that you kill them the same way, not using inovative strategies as games like alundra 2.

I find soosiz (from the same maker of swordigo) way better, but didn't make the same success as swordigo.

that's why I think this hero+sword+open world formula works even if the game is not that good. but thats not my opinion, that's just what I see happening.

Formulas are safer and people know more-or-less what they'll get.

If you have another reason why this game is not making so much attention I also would like to hear.

2. mr_bez

mr_bez Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    I obviously haven't played the Steam version, but it's a perfect fit for touchscreen, especially if you have an iPad as the controls can be slightly fiddlier on the smaller screen.

I've now played right through the story and have unlocked all monsters, but still have a load of stars to get and a couple of costumes I'm struggling to unlock.

3. mr_bez

mr_bez Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    @YoriKv
    I seem to have hit a bug in 3-1C. I froze the Boogin in the spot shown and now I can't move it up or down so can't get past it to complete the level. It seems to be getting stuck on the straight wall it's touching.

Attached Files:

4. YoriKv

YoriKv Member

Jul 1, 2014
    Got it in our bug reporting system now. Looks like there's a tiny window of overlap where if an enemy is very close to a wall its block form will get stuck in said wall after getting frozen.

Hopefully you were able to just restart and finish the level as normal, seems like it wouldn't happen on a very regular basis.

5. Matt33

Matt33 Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2010
    Developer
    Canada
    If anyone's still on the fence, I highly recommend this. After buying it, I basically didn't put it down for 2 days until I finished almost everything. I've gotten all 10 costumes and 3-starred all the levels except for 2 particular stars. So I think I can safely say that it's taken me 12+ hours to 99% finish the game, which was well worth the price considering how great that time spent was. Some might finish faster, as my method of progression was thorough and obsessive lol. I often checked in with all the villagers to make sure I was up to date with side-objectives.

I loved the look, the story, the dialogue/humor, level design/puzzles, and the replaying/backtracking element of giving and receiving items between villagers to open up new levels and get stars on levels that weren't initially possible. So pretty much everything :)

For the update with a new control scheme, could you improve the syncing of achievements earned while wifi was off? Half of the achievements I got aren't synced because my wifi seems to crap out after playing for a while.

And finally, those 2 stars I mentioned that I have left to do. I haven't been able to finish Nogport Meadows 1-2H in 90 seconds. I'm usually 10 long seconds too slow. Has anyone managed to do this? And there might be a problem with the coin star on Apricot Acres 3-2C. I've gotten the 4 tree stump coins and have opened the treasure chest, but haven't gotten the coin star.

6. YoriKv

YoriKv Member

Jul 1, 2014
    Glad you liked it @Matt33!

I added a note about achievements and we should have a fix in place next update. Same goes with AA 3-2C coin challenge being achievable. There was a an errant coin way off in space that was accidentally added that's impossible to collect. We'll also be looking into the timing of NM 1-2H to make sure it's reasonably completable.

Thanks for the feedback!

7. Matt33

Matt33 Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2010
    Developer
    Canada
    Super! Look forward to the update. After improving my multitasking, I was just now able to get that star in 82 seconds.

8. ste86uk

ste86uk Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Sounds tough, I'm struggling to get a star on a 25 sec level on the ice area. Just passed it for now after a couple of tries. I do hate timed levels as I like taking my time and not having to rush so I'm happy when I come across 3 star levels that don't include a timer. But it does mix up the play of the game by having it there so I'd never wish it excluded.

9. mr_bez

mr_bez Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Yes thanks. Just froze the boggin somewhere else. Seems fairly likely on this level as the boggin has to be right against the wall after bouncing him around to break the stump, but as you say, it's not hard to work around.

10. Hambo12

Hambo12 Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2012
    on the internet
    Anyone know where the fin costume is?

11. mr_bez

mr_bez Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
  12. Hambo12

Hambo12 Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2012
    on the internet
  13. pedroagria

pedroagria Member

Aug 25, 2012
    I also hit that missing coin bug. Regarding 1-2H, I had to try many times but I managed to beat it. There's hope! I finished a few challenges right on the nick of time. This might have been one of those.

14. #115 AppUnwrapper, Jul 7, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2014
    Anyone know what's going on here? Is this a bug or I'm missing something? I can't get around to that patch of dirt so I can free Willis. I get stuck in this spot, won't let me continue left. [​IMG]

Edit: Never mind. Figured it out. Not a bug. :)

15. Glorkbot

Glorkbot Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2013
    Cartoonist
    So... I found Terrance. The text made it seem like he would be playable, but I can't figure out how to select him.

16. Matt33

Matt33 Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2010
    Developer
    Canada
    When you tap on a level in the level select map, the characters that are available to play that particular level are visible. Just tap on the character, in this case Claude, to select the character you wish to switch with.

17. relocodelcoco2

Jun 7, 2014
    today I passed my couta, but hopefully buy it in the coming days, I hope it be good

18. YoriKv

YoriKv Member

Jul 1, 2014
    1.1 Update Released

We've been working hard over the last month and the 1.1 update is now released. I've mentioned a few of the fixes that were incoming but here's a quick summary:

- 4x the music! Enjoy extra tunes by Disasterpeace
    - New control scheme: relative analog joystick w/ on-screen buttons
    - Achievements fixes (you should now get credit for achievements earned offline, even if they were earned pre-patch)
    - All bugs mentioned in this thread as well as a few others we found have been fixed
    - All of the Messages in a Bottle can now all be attained and the achievement completed
    - Translations and support for 11 languages

Thank you all for your feedback and support!

19. Infinity89

Infinity89 Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2013
    Wish it would have been on sale too just like all the other CN games!
    @YoriKv are there any ads in this like other CN games?