iPad Monster Typing

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by morscata12, Jan 11, 2009.

1. morscata12

morscata12 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2008
    There's a new free game in the App store called Monster Typing. Letters fly across the screen, and typing the corresponding letter shoots down the letter. It's a simple game, but the graphics are stylized (reminds me of patapon) and the gameplay seems pretty challenging. Recommended download...did I mention it's free? :D

2. morscata12

Oct 23, 2008
    Screenshot:
    [​IMG]

3. parranoya

parranoya Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2008
    The thing I get paid for
    CANADIA
    How long, do you think, until this game gets pulled by PATAPON developers?

4. Zetaspawn

Zetaspawn Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2009
    If it were that easy (referencing art style similarities only) rolando never would have been made (loco roco)

5. ericxd

ericxd Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2008
    the game any good?

6. parranoya

parranoya Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2008
    The thing I get paid for
    CANADIA
    I know ---sorry I was trying to be funny ----I am bored its minus 25ºC and I have nothing to do...my attempt at humor ----FAIL.

But it does look a hell like PATAPON ---and lets all keep playing Rolando!

7. morscata12

Oct 23, 2008
    It's pretty fun for a typing tutor. The difficulty ramps up fast though (with upper case, numbers, and special characters at level 5) so I can't imagine getting very far into the game without some serious practice.

8. Zetaspawn

Zetaspawn Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2009
    Well my bad too. I kinda thought t was funny but after looking at my post I definately didn't show it. Yuck I look way too serious.

9. D.Sync

D.Sync Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2008
    University Student
    Malaysia
    I've tried out this game and reached level 5. Then I decided to quit playing it.

So far I haven't found any bug but I really don't like typing in portrait mode. There's no any awards/achievements and the graphic is really a Patapon ripoff!

I would rather try other typing tutor app such as Idle Hands instead of this one. Totally dissapoint me in the sense of originality.

10. Donburns99

Donburns99 Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2008
    ColdFusion Web Developer
    Rhode Island
    May not be original, but heck - even some of the ones before this aren't original. I remember these types of games when I was first learning keyboarding in the 90's. Originality is impossible to find these days. An identical rip-off is a different story, but to say something isn't original doesn't mean much in my eyes.

I played up to level 5 and actually enjoyed it, the game is pretty fun, which surprised me.

Only quirk I came across was the walking aliens, I would start typing the word for the one in front, but oddly it started on the alien 2-3 behind him (with the same beginning letter) and of course the rest of the word was partly covered by the ones around it.

If they added landscape detection it would be nice, but really it's not as realistic, as many of the typing apps I personally use are only in portrait mode. Kind of pointless to get more accustomed to landscape typing if you mainly use portrait, but this is just my own opinion and based on apps I use. Results may vary. ^ ^

11. WOW_GEE

WOW_GEE Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2009
    This game keeps crashing on me level 3.

12. don_k

don_k Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    Monster Typer to Patapon is like Rolando to LocoRoco.
    I remember in early trailers they have some bad guys who look just exactly like the ones from LocoRoco.

I like portrait keyboard, I'm used to it now. I did prefer landscape mode when I first got my iPhone to practice, but now I'm very fast in portrait mode and can even type with one hand quite comfortably (though nowhere as fast).

I've played until level 5 as well. It's enjoyable, but I wonder if it feels like a mini-game. The background is always the same and I'm really not sure about the music! There should be more variations in the background and music, eg: green jungle-themed background, creatures and music, then yellow desert background, creatures and music. That would give a sense of progress. Achievement if we have 100% accuracy or xx words per minute would be nice too.

+1

13. gospel9

gospel9 Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2008
    #13 gospel9, Jan 11, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2009

I guess I am not the only one here who thinks that having special characters there is a little bit too difficult...

I also don't like how you would have to start over after 3 lives... so you can't really use this thing as a typing tutor (can't stay on one stage for practice).

I do like the music and the artwork though.

EDIT: I was wrong about inability to start from previous level. You can actually do that when you start a new game.

14. illucius

illucius Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2008
    Yeah cap letters are hard enough... special characters are just dirty.

15. sam the lion

sam the lion Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Italy
    hi all, I'm new to the forum :)

Today I wrote to the developer of the game to post my impressions and he gave me some news: he's currently awaiting for the approval for an update that deals mainly with stability issues (I experienced some crashes). Moreover, he's going to release a paid version with 30 levels set in 3 different worlds, 5-7 new monsters and random letter/words.

I also asked wether he was thinking to an alternative landscape view, he told that many users requested this function so he's thinking about it but won't be so easy to implement.

hope someone finds the infos useful :)

16. spiffyone

spiffyone Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008
    I've been playing this one for a while now. It's pretty fun, no real flaws other than no landscape, and I'd gladly pay for a more full fledged game.

Oh, and about the Patapon thing. Yeah, I definitely see a resemblance. Then again, when you really think about it, the art style in Patapon bears a striking resemblance to one of the Pokemon (Unown).

[​IMG]

17. morscata12

Oct 23, 2008
    I'd pay for a full version too, especially if there was an option to turn off special characters (those ramp up the difficulty too quickly imo). Looking forward to seeing the new monsters!