Monster Trucks Nitro

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by brighteyes74, Mar 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Big Albie

Big Albie Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    Casual gamer/marketing dude
    San Francisco, California
    Seriously, do not leave one star reviews for anything other than gameplay. If you have issues with installing, price drops, availability delays, those should not be used in your review. It does a disservice to everyone, and frankly is the main problem with iTunes user reviews.

While I understand the frustration with waiting, that's life. Don't penalize the devs, and in the long term, other users.

2. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

But people on the App Store are looking for reviews on the actual game. How the developer handled the launch has absolutely no bearing on the quality of the game itself... And one-starring because of how you don't like the launch is kind of crummy. If you don't like how the developer is handling things, don't buy from them.

Buying, then adding a one star review which is completely unrelated to the quality of the game is pretty silly.

3. mavis

mavis Well-Known Member

#123 mavis, Mar 22, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2009
    If that's the silliest thing you've ever heard, you must not get out much. ;)

I'm going to leave a one-star review for this app because I don't appreciate the developer stringing us (me?) along like they have. When TA previewed the game, they said it would be available in a few days. That was almost THREE WEEKS AGO. For the past week, the game has been ready for purchase, showing up in searches in the App Store (both on the iPhone and in iTunes, if you search for the developer) which means that the only reason the developers are holding it back is to build hype. I personally find that highly annoying, and leaving negative feedback is the only way I have of 'getting back' at the developer. I don't appreciate being d**ked around, and I plan on letting the developer know that.

It's not about the other users, it's about reduced revenue for the dev.

4. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

Why don't you let the developer know by sending them an email and not buying the game? Reviews like the one you're planning to leave are the problem with the way the App Store works right now, and really makes me wish developers were able to either post responses to reviews or petition Apple to remove irrelevant ones.

So... you're going to buy the game to reduce their revenue? That... makes... sense.

5. mavis

mavis Well-Known Member

As I told you already, I want the game. So not buying it really isn't an option.

If it makes you feel any better, I'm sure I can find SOMETHING wrong with the game itself, rather than with the developer. Also, leaving feedback from both my iPod touch and my iPhone will allow me to bypass the comment requirement, if you want to get right down to it.

6. mavis

mavis Well-Known Member

Think ... about ... it. Negative reviews = less revenue. Or do you like to buy one-star apps?

7. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

One star reviews with ridiculous reasoning like "I am incredibly impatient?"

Yes, I would have no problem buying an app that had a review like that.

8. mavis

mavis Well-Known Member

As I said, I'm sure I can find something substantial to complain about. Besides, leaving a couple of one-star reviews from my iPod and iPhone will do the trick as well.

Anyway, this discussion is going nowhere, fast. You don't like people leaving reviews based on anything other than gameplay (and I do agree with you, in principal) and I don't like hype-building BS like this developer has apparently chosen to pull. I'm sure you can do a glowing review for TA which will offset my one-star rating. You win. Yay. :rolleyes:

9. Palfince

Palfince Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2008
    England
    The point is that you putting a 1 star review just about the developer not releasing the game straight away isn't helpful at all. Most people don't even know that the game is coming out so they don't care that you're annoyed that the developer held the game back a couple of days.

You should only ever review an app based on the game not the developer.

10. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

Mavis unless you work for the developers, how do you have any idea what they're doing? What seems like pre-launch hype to you could be them racing to finish implementing their online scoreboard components or who knows what else.

It's in their best interest to release their game as soon as possible so they can start racking up sales. I highly doubt they're delaying the launch just to mess with you.

11. mavis

mavis Well-Known Member

That's true - I guess we'll have to see ... ;)

I highly doubt that as well. It doesn't change the fact that I am impatient and that they've been sitting on it for the better part of a week now. Whatever. I guess we'll find out if it has been worth the wait soon enough.

12. gscal

gscal Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2009
    SF Bay Area
    I wonder if the gameplay will be more like the online version or the downloadable version?

13. Big Albie

Feb 12, 2009
    #133 Big Albie, Mar 22, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2009
    @mavis: I think the problem here is that you're making assumptions that the devs intentionally delayed or held the app. I'm not sure if you understand the development process, but there are numerous things that can delay the release of apps. From a consumer standpoint, posting a negative review in hopes of impacting sales because "the product was delayed or not delivered on time" is wrong. Please understand that games and apps are the livelihood of developers, and your reasoning really is selfish. I don't want to disparage you on the forum, but what you've said is plain wrong.

14. mavis

mavis Well-Known Member

Thanks for sharing your opinion. I've shared mine, and now you've shared yours. That's the great thing about internet forums, right? Everybody has an opinion.

15. Big Albie

Feb 12, 2009
    Nothing personal...I guess we agree to disagree.

16. mavis

mavis Well-Known Member

Exactly. :)

Anyway, if MTN turns out to be the greatest thing since sliced bread, I'm sure I'll probably end up leaving a glowing review anyway. As much as I hate hype-building with a frakkin' passion, I am still waiting for a truly awesome iPhone game. If MTN turns out to be it, well ... great.

17. Big Albie

Feb 12, 2009
    Who knows how it's going to turn out. It could be terrible, then we'll all have good reason to give it horrible reviews :) I have high hopes for MTN so hopefully come midnight eastern, it will finally make its appearance.

18. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

If they were trying to build hype, wouldn't they be spreading pre-release copies of the game all over the internet, advertising all over the place, releasing more videos, posting on forums, etc? How do you know that they're just sitting on their hands to screw with you? If they told Touch Arcade that they just submitted their App on 3/5, and it's just now showing up in search results, I'd say there's a pretty good chance their original one got denied and had to be resubmitted.

You don't go from telling people that your game is going to be available in a few days and your trailer saying it's available now to just stalling for over two weeks without a good reason. With how quick the App Store moves, it's in developers' best interest to release fast... Especially after getting a bunch of free press from various iPhone blogs. If they were trying to build hype, they'd be playing a much different game.

Do you have a source for information online that says otherwise?

19. don_k

don_k Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    mavis, this game isn't hyped at all. It's just that we're very impatient. For comparison, see the hype surrounding Rolando and Zen Bound release and the pre-release threads re both games (even months away from announced release date!).

Luckily the turn out good.

20. Zarile3

Zarile3 Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    Agreed. Other than it sitting in the app store, what hype are they building? No ads on TA, no TV commercials, no ads on IGN or Gamespot or any other sites. So where is this hype you speak of? Your just impatient, and acting childish about them "hyping" a game. The developer hasn't even come on here since the original post about the game, so they are shoving anything in your face and laughing at you about it.

If any developer is hyping a game, only to pull it out from under us, it's EA with Need for speed. But you don't hear a bunch of people saying they are going to give the game 1 star because it's been delayed.

If that's how the world worked, Video games in general would have a terrible rep. They get delayed all the time, there are even companies that are guarenteed to delay almost all of the games they make(here's looking at you Squenix.)

The point is that there is always a reason for the delay, whether it be "hyping" one person for a game, or completely reworking something that was broken. None of it deserves the developer suffering for it by getting bad reviews, as was said before, review it for the game, not the developer in general.