Universal Monster Train (by Good Shepherd Entertainment)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Brightsiderus, Oct 26, 2022.

1. ste86uk

ste86uk Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    @Talbs I’m hopelessly addicted again and your right there’s so many combos and choices with how you play, so far I’m beating it on every run but I’m climbing back up those difficulties again so I’m sure it’ll get harder again.

Probably going to give sts a go again too but this is definitely my favourite. I wish it would get updates though with more content I’d definitely pay for that.

2. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    I've been on the fence with buying this game for a while. I still can't make up my mind. I spent a good amount of time watching YouTube videos but still haven't been completely sold. Part of me is not sure if I'll like managing 3 areas. I'd rather focus on 1. Or the constant moving background and fire burning seems like an unnecessary battery killer.

I'm a huge fan of the sts genre so I feel like I'm missing out but it's not exactly cheap for me since I'm quite broke atm :/

ste86uk likes this.
  3. ste86uk

May 9, 2012
    #63 ste86uk, Nov 5, 2023
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2023
    @L.Lawliet my phone says I played it for 4.23 hours yesterday and it used 43% it didn’t feel like it was using much battery while playing though as battery stayed high until bedtime. I haven’t turned on static background or turned off camera shake which both may save battery? But I did turn off high frame rate mode.

I get what you mean about the 3 floors as I was the same like in an MMO I’d focus only one one strong character I don’t want 3 mediocre ones. But as they enter at the bottom and go up floor by floor (unless there’s mods) it just works and doesn’t feel bad at all and adds to the strategy of the game. Sometimes I wish I had more space to use more of my cool units!

I also really like how you pick a main clan and each main clan has 2 different leaders with I think 3 different upgrade paths plus a supporting clan for each run and all 5 clans play differently and have different tactics and play styles and that’s mixed up further by choice of supporting clan and leader choice. It always felt like there was more variety than in sts for me.

I can understand it’s not cheap cheap, but it’s well worth its price whenever you can grab it I doubt you’d be let down by it. Each run earns exp for the clans you used and unlocks new cars and artefacts plus the second leader when you get level 5 which is pretty quick. If you beat it, it increases the difficulty level but you can select from any difficulty you’ve unlocked for each run.

L.Lawliet likes this.
  4. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Thanks for the well thought out reply! I didn't know there was a way to make the background static. That actually sounds like what I was looking for, along with disabling high frame rate. And your review may have just tipped me over the edge to buying it. I was also looking at Dawncaster which is nice it plays in portrait but just like MT, it's completely paid so no way to try before you buy. But it sounds like MT is universally praised so that's the safest choice.

ste86uk likes this.
  5. ste86uk

May 9, 2012
    I try to help when I can, I know we can’t throw money at all the games with how many there are! Let us know how it goes if you do pick it up.

On my AppStore Dawncaster is free though? In just had iap for additional content or at least I’m sure it was free when I got it. It hasn’t sucked me in like MT did but I’m going to spend more time with it since it gets so many updates and seems to be well praised and iap content seems fairly priced.

L.Lawliet likes this.