Universal Monster Train (by Good Shepherd Entertainment)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Brightsiderus, Oct 26, 2022.

1. elcrazy

elcrazy Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2017

I really am. And after so many of them on here like StS and NotFM i thought I was done. But this one is really good. The unlock system is also something that should be mentioned. You always feel like you are progressing and unlocking something useful. Maybe even more so then StS. I don’t see me putting this one down for awhile.

Ijipop and ste86uk like this.
  2. ste86uk

ste86uk Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    I beat covenant 4 and for the first time I used the DLC and also beat the DLC boss! The DLC sure does make it tougher if you use the pact shards to get the final boss and it makes all units stronger the more you have.

Attached Files:

macplash likes this.
  3. ste86uk

May 9, 2012
    Up to covenant 7 now and I actually really like the melting remanent it surprised me with their different abilities and tactics. I’m only sad I now have all of the clans but I’ve got plenty of cards to unlock yet and guns keep being different depending on the clans I choose and cards I get by chance anyway.

4. elcrazy

Sep 19, 2017
    Just beat covenant level 1 and unlocked the wurmkin. I had an awesome run and set up. Really great relics and cards. This game is so much fun. I love applying quick to a hero that has sweep. Don’t underestimate the power of an imp! I have so much more to do and see. Again the unlock progression is possibly the best i have ever seen. So many relics to unlock along with the clans makes it so fun. Of course lots of cards. But I’m a relic guy. For me those change the course of the game immensely. My last run the relics were just perfect right from the start with one of my favs holdover of unused ember.

Attached Files:

ste86uk likes this.
  5. ste86uk

May 9, 2012
    @elcrazy congrats on the win and the wyrmkin. I didn’t like them very much at first but I like them much more with their second champion.

I know what you mean sometimes runs and relics are just a perfect combo, I did an awoken run yesterday and went all out on spikes and got some amazing artefacts for it luckily. Stomped everyone.

Umbra are still my favourite followed possibly by the Melting Remanents and the Awoken are still up there for me too. I say that but my last two run have been Wyrmkin with umbra allies, but I do like mixing them all up and trying it makes it more fun to come up with strategies on the fly.

elcrazy likes this.
  6. elcrazy

Sep 19, 2017
    Wow. And just when I thought this game couldn’t get any better and I played with Wurmkin and Umbra. That was hella fun. I thought I was getting destroyed early on. But wow by the end I didn’t even need champions. I beat the boss with no champions and no cards. My reap had built up so strong boss took so much damage between turns. This game is just incredible. It may be better then StS and NofFM. I still have so much to unlock including one clan the melting remenants. Not sure what my favorite is. Possibly now Wurmkin, I do still like Hellhorned and Awoken a lot. I haven’t played with umbra as a lead so I need to do that. There is just so much to do. So many combos I haven’t tried. Have I mentioned how much I love this game? Game of the year contender for sure.

ste86uk likes this.
  7. ste86uk

May 9, 2012
    @elcrazy it’s great to hear you having so much fun, although I am surprised more people aren’t in the forum for this one.

The wyrmkin can definitely be great they pair well as allies for sure, I still don’t really like their first champion but their second one I do like. He can be built to return 2 consumed cards each turn! If you get some powerful consume cards it makes him very useful and reap is great especially for killing little guys behind bigger ones and spellshield doesn’t even block it.

As for the Umbra definitely give them a go, completely different play style around morsels. I recommend using them with the Awoken as what you want is a beastly tank that can’t be defeated by buffing it with morsels every round, the awoken ones work well but better yet is if you get the umbra ones that gain lifesteal each time they gorge as you can get crazy stacks. Boss killers for sure, you just need to stack dps to deal with the normal mobs.

Their champions are a huge monster that can take up a whole floor himself if you build him that way or one that acts like a morsel and gets eaten by other units to buff them but can be eaten 3-5 times and the unit that eats it gets the stars each time.

elcrazy likes this.
  8. Milotorou

Milotorou Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2015
    Been hooked on this game for the last few days (Now on covenant 6)

im a big card game fan and a StS fanboy.

One thing I didnt see mentioned that much here is how great of a port this game is, it really plays WELL on phone, no misclicking, confirmations in place to avoid accidents, superb UI, etc. I cant sing these praises enough.

StS plays like a charm on iPad but sadly feels sometimes iffy on phone, this game however plays like an absolute charm on my iPhone 11. Superb port and amazing game, I am beyond pleased.

9. elcrazy

Sep 19, 2017
    Is anyone else having a ton of freezing? It’s happening so often. Still in love with this game. But it really seems to freeze up a lot and I have to force close and restart.

That being said because of this issue I can confirm how important strategic play is. I had a game on final boss where I was doing ok but knew there was no way I was winning. The game froze and I had to restart. You start from that battle and things are the same. So I made some different choices and I came extremely
    Close to winning but was just about to die and well game froze again. The next battle I made different choices and was about to die really early on so I force closed (I know I know but keep reading lol). Now playing it three times I went with most of my second run and changed the way I played a couple cards and one floor change. I beat the boss before he hit the third floor. The strategy in this game is crucial. I think my fav team at the moment is Awoken with Wurmkin. Still enjoying all the different teams strategies.

I said before this game may be better then StS and NotFM but now I am sure this is my favourite roguelike deckbuilder. It’s just packed with content.

My game of the year.

ste86uk likes this.
  10. ste86uk

May 9, 2012
    I’ve never had any freezing or crashes with the game, not sure what’s going on with it for you to get them.

I’m also playing wyrmkin and awoken lately although I’ve been playing a bit less than I was but still playing the game, I’m up to covenant 19 now.

11. slewis7

slewis7 Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    Retired!
    Houston, TX
    I have only played one other deck building game (Slay the Spire), so I am really unfamiliar with this genre. Does the game have enough hand holding/tutorials built in for a beginner and, if not, can someone recommend a good guide or video to get me started?

12. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    The tutorial is good and it’s fairly straightforward (at least to start).

Ijipop and slewis7 like this.
  13. BlueTrin

BlueTrin Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2012
    Can’t believe I missed that, it’s actually really well designed for a phone interface (much better than the phone port of StS)

It seems easier than StS … or maybe I have played too many games of this genre …

I guess I can prestige to get a challenge …

ste86uk likes this.
  14. BlueTrin

BlueTrin Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2012
    #54 BlueTrin, Jan 7, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2023
    The game is easy to pick up for me, but I played a lot of games of this genre. This being said, IMHO this port is well designed, it is much better than the StS port.

The interface is very intuitive: you can press a long time all cards to get an explanation of the effects. Their description is easy to understand and well explained.

15. agreen437

agreen437 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2014
    I’m trying to decide if monster train is worth it or not I noticed it’s 7.99 now so there must be a sale thinking of getting it but am new to this card deck building I’m looking for advice

16. Wall Jump Games

Wall Jump Games Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2020
    Male
    It’s the best one. Go for it!

jkluk23 likes this.
  17. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    Absofreakinglutely.
    I think I actually enjoy this more than Slay the Spire. Sacrilege!!!

jkluk23 and Wall Jump Games like this.
  18. agreen437

agreen437 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2014
    Bought still getting used to the type of genre but am enjoying so far on my iPad Pro m1

Talbs likes this.
  19. ste86uk

May 9, 2012
    After Conjury coming out making me want to play more of this type of game again I started up Card Guardians and Dawncaster again and did take a look at NOTFM but wasn’t sure since it seems to have more iaps than I remember.

But this was always my favourite from when I very first played it, it just clicked with me and I loved it. So I just did the unthinkable and reset my save to start all over again!!

Just wanted to post to say anyone that didn’t get this when it come out and your remotely interested just buy it. Better than sts for me it’s that good.

Talbs likes this.
  20. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    Agreed. This game is just fantastic. I like them (StS and MT) near enough equally. They offer different things, the most of which I like that MT just offers broken kind of runs more often. It just encourages big combos pretty early on each run.

ste86uk likes this.