Universal Monster Train (by Good Shepherd Entertainment)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Brightsiderus, Oct 26, 2022.

1. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    The game is barely a tower defence type but at least for some part of the game mechanics, that is the closest comparison.
    Really, there is depth to the gameplay, just as much as StS, and different as well. I mean this game has choices in position of where your hero and monsters are placed. It’s a completely different strategy to have your hero at the bottom front as it is for having it at the top back. StS doesn’t have that. So there’s one point of depth on offer.

There’s a reason every time StS gets mentioned as being one of the great deckbuilders, that Monster Train gets the mention following StS too.

Go for it!
    But I see that you have already, so Enjoy!

macplash, Pagan Fox and ste86uk like this.
  2. ste86uk

ste86uk Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    @macplash thank you that’s very kind of you to say, I always lookout for your posts and opinions on games too to help me decide.

I hope you enjoy it but I’m not really worried as I’m sure you will once you start seeing everything it’s got going on.

macplash likes this.
  3. macplash

macplash Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    I guess I’m not seeing it yet as I didn’t manage to beat the game after 3 attempts. @ste86uk you said you beat it on your second try, so I’m fairly behind. But I don’t mind! I’m having a blast with it. The art is beautiful. Everything works perfectly. There’s a ton of cards so it’ll take time to get familiar with them and find all the pros and cons of each of them. But I expected it to be rewarding in a long run, not after a few beginner’s attempts where I’m almost unsure what exactly am I doing. Also I really do like I’m playing for the “bad guys”. I’m so glad I bought this. I’m looking forward to get better at it with every next attempt.

About the cloud saving. It saves my game in progress so I can pick it up on other devices, but when I check my run history, it’s only available on the one device I finished the run on. Isn’t it weird? But e.g. achievements are properly unlocked on all devices right away. It’s only the run history that seems to be not synchronized. Anyone noticed this?

ste86uk and Talbs like this.
  4. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    Yes I have had issues with the cloud saving.
    Actually when I logged into my second device, it totally wiped my progress on original device.
    Now they are both mirroring ok-ish, EXCEPT for what you mentioned, the run history is only showing on the main device which I play and have completed runs.

frustratingly it shows on the main device that I have completed and won runs. In Game Center I even have the achievement for unlocking the 3rd clan. Yet, for both devices now, I’m back at reset, except for what i just mentioned.

Yes, the Run History not being synchronised is what I’m seeing too.
    Have reported to devs and I think they’re looking at it.

ste86uk and macplash like this.
  5. ste86uk

May 9, 2012
    @macplash I think that’s a positive review? I’m glad you’re having a blast with it though.

I got stuck with the first run post dlc as the pact shards were new to me and I used the new clan as my primary also. I actually made it to the boss on covenant 1 with pact shards making difficulty extreme, beat the boss but then there’s a new dlc final boss after the normal final boss and sadly I lost but it was close!

Pact shards sure do make things harder, I just started a new run and I’ve decided to not use the pact shards and think I should practice more on these harder difficulties first and unlock more cards before using them and I’m finding that so much easier! Plus I figure anyone without dlc wouldn’t have them anyway and they probably got to progress quite far before the dlc with them come along.

Who’s your favourite clan so far? I have to say for me it’s the awoken, I love the heals and the tanky champion, although it does look like each clan has another champion to unlock and then each one has 3 different upgrade paths it seems.

macplash likes this.
  6. macplash

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    So far I got only first two clans unlocked. But combining them is great. I love that Awoken Hollow paired with some champions. By constantly healing him he increases the attack of the champion and at one point he got like 500 attack. At least I think it was caused by that. I’m still struggling but I managed to reach the first boss, unfortunately I didn’t beat him. But I guess I’m getting better. And from what I’ve seen I’m moments from unlocking the next clan, so yay!:)

oh, and I really like the Demon card. He’s so menacing!

FB6921F2-85AC-4C77-B4AC-D94727AAECE2.png EEF5D2C4-C0EE-4C82-A5CA-ED5DE2DC914A.png

Talbs and ste86uk like this.
  7. ste86uk

May 9, 2012
    @macplash Very nice, the next clan seems really spell based to me so far I would have beat my first run with them if I didn’t have the iap enabled for the bonus boss! But currently near the end of a new run with them as allies and it’s working out great.

I love a good tank and that awoken hollow is great for sure! I unlocked the other champion for the awoken too and he’s pretty cool so far and can buff everyone on the floor. Using a lot of incant abilities and spells this run so everyone on the floor gets stronger whenever I use spells and the spells are buffed by a unit too.

Just got a new card during an event which seems pretty good, quite costly though but she also gave me a hammer that increases the total units I can have on a floor if I kill using it. I also have to say I love how on this game events are all good and about strategy giving you choices and not RNG based.

Attached Files:

Talbs likes this.
  8. ste86uk

May 9, 2012
    Sorry to double post but holy crap the Umbra are amazing, tried the daily challenge and beat it with this beast of a champion. Stacking lifesteal and using morsels on other floors to buff my other minions…not that many made it past this chunk on the ground floor.

Cool to see the different mechanics that I haven’t unlocked yet. Can’t wait to unlock them now!

Attached Files:

macplash likes this.
  9. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    The Demon Fiend card design is one of my favourites in the game. Menacing indeed.
    Except I don’t get to pick it often. I find both is mana cost and placement cost is high and takes a fair bit of work around. BUT, if you can stack multistrike and even repeat armor buff on it, it sure is a beast.

And that’s the thing about this game, I find that most cards are actually quite playable in one way or another suitable for different builds. That’s what’s great about this game.

macplash likes this.
  10. macplash

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    Well, finally! I got lucky with artifacts I guess. Right from the beginning 50% chance of enemy units appear dazed which was a tremendous advantage. Nevertheless, my very first victory. More will follow hopefully. Fantastic game!
    BBEB1B41-9FC2-4951-A21B-7CE20BC71E64.png

Pagan Fox, Talbs and ste86uk like this.
  11. ste86uk

May 9, 2012
    macplash likes this.
  12. ste86uk

May 9, 2012
    Beat Covenant 1 with the Hellhorned checking them out and unlocked the Umbra during the run, then while trying the daily challenge again I somehow unlocked the Wyrmkin so now I’m trying covenant 2 with the Umbra and Wyrmkin, not sure how it’s going to go with two new clans!

The Umbra are cool they have lifesteal, damage shield and morsels and the Wyrmkin so far have a new resource that comes with it’s own artefact and you build up the resources per floor and then spend them to buff minions or summon more powerful minions it seems so far, only early into the run.

13. Wall Jump Games

Wall Jump Games Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2020
    Male
    @macplash thank you so much for confusing with @ste86uk that is a wonderful compliment! :)
    But even he can’t beat me at Monster Train in 2 tries.

14. Wall Jump Games

Dec 13, 2020
    Male
    Wyrmkin unlock after Covenant 1 is what it says on the store page. Can you tell me how fun they are to play so I can see whether or not get Last Divinity.

ste86uk likes this.
  15. Wall Jump Games

Dec 13, 2020
    Male
    The Artifact which lets you upgrade creatures 3 times is a beast for him. One of my best runs so far is one where I got him early and got Multistrike, -1 Mana Cost, and 1 size, and then soon after got the copy card event from a cavern, so I had six of these beasts to deploy on every train.

Talbs likes this.
  16. Wall Jump Games

Dec 13, 2020
    Male
    Wow the Umbra look cool. I haven’t played in a few days (thanks, Persona 5) so I haven’t unlocked them yet but jumping back in to day so I hope I’ll get them soon.

ste86uk likes this.
  17. ste86uk

May 9, 2012
    @Wall Jump Games that’s what I thought that they would unlock after beating covenant 1 but it seemed to have a delay but maybe because I unlocked the Umbra when I beat that also.

I’ll let you know how it goes although I don’t get as much time as I would like to game with a little one now. But so far the Wymkin have definitely peaked my interest for being different and wondering what I can do with them but this run I have the Umbra champion as he’s a beast, but I’ll try the Wyrmkin as the main clan next run instead of as allies.

I also love the copy card especially when you already have a powerful buffed card.

18. ste86uk

May 9, 2012
    I just beat covenant 3, I think on my next run covenant 4 I’m going to increase the difficulty and take all of the lacy shards during the run. The Umbra are still my favourite….still need to try wyrmkin properly but I love the Umbra.

Won’t let me upload a picture of my favourite unit - Crucible Collector to show it, but basically he gets lifesteal every time he eats a morsel and just becomes and unstoppable beast that beats all bosses easily. The picture it did let me add there shows his 50 stacks of lifesteal ready for that final fight! Although I did get help from an artefact that made gorge abilities trigger twice, but he’s still my focus even without that. Plus pair him with the Umbras second champion which is just a morsel to let you further power up whatever unit you want to make your main.

Attached Files:

macplash likes this.
  19. elcrazy

elcrazy Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2017
    That was so satisfying!
    I absolutely love this game. It’s still different enough from StS to feel fresh. I love the different champions and the amount of strategies you can use. Really fantastic game.

Attached Files:

ste86uk and macplash like this.
  20. ste86uk

May 9, 2012
    @elcrazy it sounds like your enjoying it as much as I am. I’m definitely glad I got this one.

elcrazy likes this.