Universal Monster Hunter Stories (by CAPCOM Co., Ltd)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by NyxKiria, Sep 25, 2018.

1. ThirdMoon

ThirdMoon Well-Known Member

May 21, 2014
    On sale for £4.99, down from £19.99

2. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    If the idea of Pokémon in the Monster Hunter universe sounds appealing, this is a ridiculous bargain.

Makara Nou likes this.
  3. tops2

tops2 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2011
    I guess my question is how does it run on iOS 14? Capcom isn’t always the greatest with updates and looks like this hasn’t been updated much. One reviewer seems to mention the Japanese version has some updates while the version (at least in US) doesn’t have the updates?

4. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Didn’t try it for long, but it seems to work on iOS 14.3 without a hitch.

BTW my save says that I played the game for 53 hours. Yikes!

tops2 likes this.
  5. tops2

tops2 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2011
    Thanks for checking. 53 hours!!! Almost makes me not want to pick up the game. Don’t have time to game as much as before.

6. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    It’s a big game, but I also did a ton of unmotivated exploration.

tops2 likes this.
  7. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    The MH ports on iOS have been amazing all around.

tops2 likes this.
  8. Svetlja

Svetlja New Member

Jan 3, 2021
    Female
    I just picked this game up on 3DS because the second one coming out this summer looked awesome. I played about 20 hours but my 3DS’s battery is terrible. I saw how cheap it was on iOS and couldn’t resist. It’s way prettier and being able to move the camera makes a real difference... but I can’t get the backup to work. I can create it on my phone but it doesn’t appear on any other device.

Anyone have any suggestions?

9. tops2

tops2 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2011
    I ended up picking this up a few days ago and logged in like 6-7 hours already. Good quality game with a lot to do (but feels very grindy to me). I didn't have any problems with it running on the latest iOS (14.3). Too bad about the lack of app update compared to the Japan version.

I did end up deleting this since based on a quick search, takes some people like 35-50 hours to beat the game! Don't really want to invest the time.. Its a nice length if I was like 10-20 years younger... :p
    The other main reason is I'm just unable to play 3d games..I get so nauseous when playing even on the small phone screen, especially when I get lost in the (admittedly small) maps. Overall, I don't regret the purchase as I got my moneys worth already. :)

10. Me too. Always feel sick whenever i play in first person and sometimes in third person. I hope this one will be okay for me.

11. tops2

tops2 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2011
    I guess if you're not sure, can always try the demo?

For this game, while general moving from point A to point B in this game, I'm okay. It's when trying to pick up all the materials or approaching monsters from the back, the camera will move just enough (even when I try to keep it still)..and its enough to make me really nauseous.

Makara Nou likes this.
  12. Brightsiderus

Brightsiderus Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2017
    Price dropped only to 4,99$

13. andsoitgoes

andsoitgoes Well-Known Member

I want this game so badly but no controller support is so frustrating these days.

how difficult is it to add that? Ugh.

14. L.Lawliet

Jun 28, 2011
    I exclusively play all my mobile games without controllers and this one has very good controls. And with MHFU gone, this is the best MH game on the appstore. It's still pretty darn good. The only issue I have with it, is the large space it takes up. But that's impossible to avoid.

15. andsoitgoes

andsoitgoes Well-Known Member

It probably isn’t an issue for 80% of the people playing, but with my RSI it makes it impossible for something with this much movement.

I just can’t manage on a touchscreen with a third or first person camera. I think it just comes down to a playing it on a switch or via my computer and steam link. Sucks though. I know we MFi gamers we are a tiny minority, but still.

16. UnhappyUnlucky

UnhappyUnlucky Well-Known Member

I have more than enough space. Fast speed internet. Game always cancels at 70% installed. If you have iPad Air 4 don’t bother buying. It won’t finish installation. Odd how the demo works perfectly. Yet, the full game doesn’t bother working

17. Brightsiderus

Brightsiderus Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2017
    More than enough is? You should have about 10 gigs of free space.

UnhappyUnlucky likes this.
  18. UnhappyUnlucky

UnhappyUnlucky Well-Known Member

There was about 38 GB left of free space left at the time of installation. I tried deleting some apps to free up more space. Installation remains stuck around 70% mark. I don’t know what causes it. I have a hunch it could be iPad Air 4 related. Might not be a supported device. I was under the assumption it would work on my iPad when I saw it lists iPad Air 2 and 3 as supported and that they didn’t get a chance to update the list when Air 4 came into use. It doesn’t list Air 4 as one of the supported. I’m guess I’m out of luck until they update it to support newer devices. Shame, cause the demo was really fun

19. L.Lawliet

Jun 28, 2011
    That sucks. It's a really good game so I wish you could play it. I don't know anything about iPads so I can't help. I think you should just ask for a refund if you can't play it or you can keep it for that cheap sale price (and hope the game works or you get a working device). I'm not sure how often the sale will come and $5 for this game is not even an exaggeration, a steal.

UnhappyUnlucky likes this.