Universal Monster Hunter Stories (by CAPCOM Co., Ltd)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by NyxKiria, Sep 25, 2018.

1. RinoaHeartily

RinoaHeartily Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2010
    I read Jared's review do this game is turn based? Similar to FF SERIES with monster catching aka pokemon!!

Damn this game suits me perfectly!! At first I thought it was similar to the first series monster hunter which I didnt like at all.

So those who bought it... Worth it?

2. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Yep — worth it.

3. Pagan Fox

Pagan Fox Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2012
    Worth every penny.
    I’m only twelve hours in and exploring my third area.
    There is so much to do, Quest wise, and I’ve even completed my first gene transfer to boost my thunder monster - I have a total of 15 monsters so far.
    I stumbled across a rare, gold coloured monster den and just wondered if they were random or not? It was in the snowfields near the log cabins.

4. Havelcek

Havelcek Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 30, 2013
    Question for you veterans of this game. It feels like the 1-use items in combat aren't a good choice because you skip your turn and get some kind of less valuable boost on the next turn. Like the guaranteed critical hit, seems like I would have been better off just having two normal turns. Anyone else observe this?

5. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Depends on the item and the circumstance. Some items do takedowns or paralize monsters, which could be a set up for a mounted attack. Or you can put a particular nasty customer out of commission while you deal with a weaker monster. There are also smoke screens that make it easier to flee or paintballs that improve the chances that a creature will flee and lead you to their lair.

That said, I haven’t really used the critical hit items, so I’m not sure how useful they can be.

6. dbagga84

dbagga84 Well-Known Member

May 22, 2013
    Yeah I try to play against their preferred attacks too but they just never seem to use them anyways. The only enemies I fight that consistently use their preference are the giant mammal/dinosaur types like the popo that use power or a skill every turn and the speed based dinosaurs like the first one you get and the green one near the first big hunter city. But like ludroths, those big spider things, zamitros or whatever the shark guys.. the snow bunny what eh lamagos or something? All those rarer and harder ones just kick my ass because they won’t use their preferred attack type until I use whatever attack is weak to theirs lol

7. Havelcek

Patreon Bronze

Apr 30, 2013
    Thank you, that's helpful. I'm not sure I've gotten far enough yet to see what you're referring to.

8. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Yeah, the combat system becomes deeper as you and your monsters get more abilities. Personally, I tend to use items more for support — healing, dealing with status effects, etc.

9. Milotorou

Milotorou Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2015
    AB-SO-LU-TE-LY !

Honestly, this is the most fun ive had on my mobile device this year, it gives pokemon a serious run for its money.

Try the demo if you arent convinced, its basically the first 3-4h of the game, you can then transfer your progress over to the full game.

This is my mobile GOTY atm.

10. stubbieoz

stubbieoz Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2015
    Male
    Grey haired gamer
    NSW Australia
    Actually I have racked up over 9 hours in the demo.
    I admit I got to the end of the demo but then went back to the starting village and got as many quests as I could get and went ... well...."monster hunting"...for a few hours. :rolleyes:
    The game is a lot of fun and well optimised for the iPad and touch screen.
    I'm now just struggling to decide whether to spend $30AUD on yet another game that might be broken at any moment by an iOS update. :confused:

11. Daysleeper82

Daysleeper82 Active Member

Dec 11, 2017
    I know exactly what you mean,It’s really pissing me of the amount of apps and games I paid premium price for that are now not working or have been removed from the App Store!

12. Solarclipse

Solarclipse Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2012
    There are combos for each weapon, a short one and a long one. So for great swords it’s speed speed power, and this attack easily does double damage. So getting a crit on that could be helpful.

There’s a longer combo string but I haven’t tried it to see the difference. Here’s from an article at rgj.com:

• Great Sword: Power-Power-Technical, Technical-Technical-Speed or Speed-Speed-Power.
    • Sword & Shield: Speed-Speed-Speed, Speed-Technical-Power or Speed-Power-Technical.
    • Hammer: Power-Power-Power, Power-Speed-Technical or Power-Technical-Speed.
    • Hunting Horn: Changes depending on weapon Melodies, which you can check in the Rider menu during battle.

Son of Anarchy and Pagan Fox like this.
  13. Baron Cappuccino

Baron Cappuccino Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Aug 1, 2011
    Member-Owner Steampunk Cafe, LLC
    Plainfield, CT
    This is everything anti-freemium gamers could have ever asked for. It’s a full, AAA, big budget title. It’s not a ten year old port. No IAP. It’s a fully modern offering. People should be supporting this on principle. It’s also a ton of fun. I’ve only played a few hours so far. No regrets.

14. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    14 hours in (with little grinding and nowhere near the end) and I agree wholeheartedly.

This is not the place to discuss premium games and iOS updates, but for what it’s worth, Capcom has a good track record when it comes to keeping premium games up to date (including MHFU, Ghost Trick, and the Ace Attorney series). I wouldn’t worry too much about a purchase.

15. Solarclipse

Solarclipse Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2012
    I also got a great sword combo from power power tech. So I think the important thing is repetition and cycling through in order clockwise.

16. Havelcek

Patreon Bronze

Apr 30, 2013
    Wow - talk about an undocumented feature...thanks!

17. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Actually, they are documented in the Rider Notes, which you can find in the Camp menu.

18. dbagga84

dbagga84 Well-Known Member

May 22, 2013
    Lol. I think a lot of people miss the rider notes. There’s ALL kinds of information in there. And in a specific monsters profile in the monsterpedia. I have been playing I dunno 4 or 5 hours a day since it came out and I just killed the king ludroth for the hunters guild. Because I spent all my time monster hunting for gene building (which still hasn’t been very fruitful) but I did happen across a rathian egg and that’s been helping a lot with it’s riding skill :p I even somehow got a monstie I can’t even use yet because it’s 4* and I’m still at 3* kinship. ;) I love this game and games like this where if I want I can just go slow and take my time.

19. Son of Anarchy

Son of Anarchy Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2015
    Male
    Shadow Runner
    Australia
    I was really surprised with how deep the game can get. You could lose yourself for days not even bothering with the main quest if you wanted. Simply hunting different eggs and leveling up, or gene channeling. The amount of sub quests, different weapons, armors and things to collect & do is insane. Or you could ignore it all and just do the necessary minimum to enjoy the story.

It definitely feels like a Monster Hunter game, but it also feels like a lost Final Fantasy game to me. I’ve been playing for awhile now & it feels like I’ve barely scratched the surface. What I thought was going to be a relatively small and focused game is turning out to be huge. Really enjoying the game and all the options it offers. Plus I think the cel shaded artwork they’ve used is gorgeous.

20. Havelcek

Patreon Bronze

Apr 30, 2013
    I'll have to go back and take a look. I thought the Riders Notes were just a compilation of all the Tutorial screens that pop up through the game. Thanks!