Monster Hunter Portable 2nd G / Freedom Unite Tavern

Discussion in 'MMO Codes and 'Add Me' Requests' started by Exact-Psience, Jun 16, 2014.

1. VaroFN

VaroFN Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    I've already beaten the Conga quest. The Bulldrome was the main problem there. Alone he's a piece of cake, but when there's another monster in the same zone... ugh.

I tried the Lao but NO WAY. NO FUC**NG WAY. That dude's tail is a one hit ko, and it has a LOT of HP. I used the supply barrels, the crossbows at the last zone and the drill thing, and nothing, lost the mission.

2. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    I made this video like 5 years ago on how to defeat Lao Shan Lung with a GS. I hope you can find it useful if you want to solo a Lao.

3. GDMT

GDMT Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Hiroshima, Japan
    I wasn't paying attention to the guide itself. But rather, the misses lol. I was counting as well.

But overall, cool vid man. Not much of a GS fan but yeah. I believe Varo will find this useful. I noticed he's been GS-ing a lot recently on our runs.

4. VaroFN

VaroFN Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    My only problems were getting out of there (I died twice because of the damn tail) and wasting too many time on the head.

Jeez, what a boring fight. I rather fight the Shen Gaoren.

5. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    You only need to flinch the head TWICE to guarantee a Lao Shan Horn in the rewards. :)

And yeah, Lao is pretty boring.

Oh yeah, im not sure if you know this already, but element damage is almost USELESS on the GS. The crits you get from high affinity or from Unsheathe Crit skill doesnt multiply elemental damage. And more importantly, charged attacks DO NOT affect elemental damage in MHFU.

In short, you'll only need raw damage GS with no elements and you'll be wrecking monster faces. :)

6. GDMT

GDMT Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Hiroshima, Japan
    The only thing i like about fighting Lao is jumping on its back lol.

7. animeADDICT

animeADDICT Active Member

Jul 15, 2014
    Ahhhh that takes me back, farming Lao is soooooo tedious.
    Take materials for farcasters and warp out of there, then tail is no problem. It also gives you time to lay more bombs and blast his face as he enters each area.

8. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Anyone here? Varo as well? I have the HR4 hermitaur quest then the Lao urgent quest next. Any help would be good :)

9. VaroFN

VaroFN Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    Room?

10. L.Lawliet

Jun 28, 2011
    Room 20061112

11. L.Lawliet

Jun 28, 2011
    I'm back in the same room. I think we should both focus on the same hermitaur so we can try to kill it quicker.

12. VaroFN

VaroFN Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    At least I got some items from his back.

13. L.Lawliet

Jun 28, 2011
    ... I just force quit. I couldn't figure out how to land on his back at all. I even jumped numberous times and land square on his back and still slid off. Wow. Game is being a punk. Spent those 40 minutes and got absolutely nothing except lost items and 2000$

I guess it helped you out only in the end because it costs me $2000 to join (probably in part to stop you from farming him so easily).

14. VaroFN

VaroFN Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    I saw you putting the barrels on the road. They need to be hit in order to explode, so unless you're using a bow or whatever or got a boomerang, the best thing you can do with them is using them in the last zone and hit them with the big crossbow.

As for jumping on his back, the second time he stood up just when I jumped lol

15. GDMT

GDMT Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Hiroshima, Japan
    Oh shoot, missed that run you guys just did. I take it you guys didn't finish it? Or Just Varo?

16. L.Lawliet

Jun 28, 2011
    We failed...

@Varo: The barrel thing is weird. They should have exploded when he went on them but they didn't. I think the problem is that this is a "special" monster. Almost all other monsters will ignite the barrels when they hit it. The Lao just clips right through them even when his foot "stomps" on it.

17. Edmilan

Edmilan Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2011
    Philippines
    I'm also in that quest, kill Lao HR4 urgent. wish i could join but i still have 24hrs of work before i get home and have access to a good wifi connection.
    Re the barrel bombs, you can leave the big ones there and when he comes close, drop a small barrel bomb which auto explodes in a few seconds triggering the large bombs

18. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Sorry... Not all monster attacks ignite barrel bombs. You can however use your weapon to trigger the barrels. Attack it when it's just outside your weapon range, and that'll trigger the barrel. :)

As Edmilan mentioned, you can also use small bb to trigger them.

19. L.Lawliet

Jun 28, 2011
    All the wyverns I've used barrels bombs and they've all ignited them by either walking on them or attacking while standing near it. I've never used a single small barrel. But it doesn't really matter that much anyways since it was my first time fighting Lao and just came with no experience lol.

I watched some youtube guides and tried again. Broke his his horn and everything. At the last gate he finally knocked me out the 3rd time though I don't know if I would have repelled him or not. Sigh. His tail did manage to KO me twice. I hate how his "weak point" is the spot near his tail.

I couldn't carve him 3 times since he threw me off after the 2nd. And then I tried jumping onto him again at the other bridge and got the right spot yet i slid/clipped right through his body... -_- this guy is getting really annoying. I also hit him with every gate weapon. Nada.

20. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    #580 Exact-Psience, Jul 19, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2014
    You should only flinch his head twice and that should guarantee a Lao Horn in the rewards. Attacking the head any more than that is worthless coz he takes very small damage from there. It's just that his head has a low stagger limit, that's why you flinch him a lot there.

Lao isnt a monster you want to flinch a lot. He doesnt die before he reaches the final area. He wont be taking damage once he reaches a certain amount of HP. So headlocking is NOT recommended.

Not sure what you mean by his weak point being "the spot near the tail." His real weak point is the part where you can carve on his back. However, since melee weapons cant reach that high, the next weakest point is his stomach.

I have 2 Lao videos which i did solo back on PSP days, im not sure if you've had a chance to see them. I did post the GS video a few posts back.

One easy way to stick to his stomach is to have the Wind Press ability. It will prevent you from being affected by the wind produced by Lao's footsteps. Yes, it's wind, not quake. Shen Gaoren's footsteps are the ones that produce quakes. Having Wind Press cant prevent you from being wind-stunned and hit by the tail.