Universal MONSTER HUNTER FREEDOM UNITE (by CAPCOM)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by nicodemus82, May 8, 2014.

1. Taeles

Taeles Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Aug 5, 2011
    Last update according to app store, 2 yrs ago so this game dosent even support our max's resolution. As for actual graphics? As pretty as the app store photos :) Just not optimized to our phone screen resolution.

2. Zemar

Zemar Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Denmark
    Okay, thanks :)

3. Son of Anarchy

Son of Anarchy Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2015
    Male
    Shadow Runner
    Australia
    I could be wrong, but it looks like they quietly slipped this one out the back door.

4. Brightsiderus

Brightsiderus Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2017
    They announced that the game will go away a long time ago

5. downgrad3r

downgrad3r Well-Known Member

Jul 1, 2016
    Have any adventurous souls tried this on an iPhone SE running iOS 14? It’s a staple for me, and there aren’t any developer plans to update it. They confirmed this via email around the time the last iOS MH title (which has never been updated) was released. Note: Darkest Dungeon isn’t working on iPadOS 14.

6. mgambino

mgambino Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2014
    I can try it on 14, but I’m using an 11 not se.

7. agreen437

agreen437 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2014
    Anyone have bioshock on iOS 14?

8. downgrad3r

Jul 1, 2016
    Awesome! Can’t thank you enough. *Fingers crossed*

9. mgambino

mgambino Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2014
    It loaded up, and I played through 3 hunts. I didn’t have a save, so early game. Everything seemed to be working fine. Obviously I can’t promise it won’t have glitches later in game.

10. downgrad3r

Jul 1, 2016
    I honestly can’t thank you enough for taking the time to do this. I would have settled for even the smallest measure of encouragement. This is so much better. Your time and efforts are greatly appreciated. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

mgambino likes this.
  11. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    No problems on my end either. Early game as well.

12. downgrad3r

Jul 1, 2016
    Greatly appreciated! Thanks so much.

13. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    So I decided to give this a try again on my new phone and yes it plays fine.... but it's kind of... unplayable.

There's nothing broken in the game on my new device (with ios 14) but it has black borders around the edges and bottom of the screen that are not made by Capcom, it's just dead space that keeps the original aspect ratio instead of stretching the app to match the screen resolution. You can tell it's not supposed to be there since your date and battery are always showing on the screen.

Sounds fine right? Unfortunately not for MH. The black space is a complete dead zone. While you're playing, you always pull the joystick, pull the attack button, slide to roll, etc. And often you will be touching the edge of the screen while doing so. Every time you finger just barely touches the dead zone, the game treats it as if you removed your finger from the device and your character will stop moving / not roll / not combo. It's really impossible to play like this. I had trouble beating basic enemies because my character kept randomly stopping while running in the middle of battle. I can imagine hard boss battles that I can barely win will be impossible for a game that requires precise timing.

I guess you could use a controller but if I game on my phone, I don't use a controller. And the touch screen controls on MHFU are imo, one of the best designed touch controls of any port I've seen on iOS. They were cleverly designed to pull off complex moves that blows the PSP out of the water. It's a shame to have them not function as intended.

I really hope they update this game as it's one of my top 5 games on all of iOS. It seems like a basic fix but I don't know much about the technicals. They can add their own borders to the side or just stretch the screen out. Anything will be better than these default black dead zones that make it near impossible to play. Monster Hunter Stories got an update to be more UI friendly but unfortunately MHFU has not :(

14. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    Well, uh, the game has been removed from sale for quite a while now. Even before then, the last update it received was way back in 2016.

As much as I hate to say it, this one’s not coming back.

15. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Haha, yeah, I don't think L. got the memo. Unfortunately this one's as good as dead.

16. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    L Dawg, do me this favour: Go in to settings > accessibility > zoom. Turn it on. I like to have the controller turned on. There’s a gesture you can use to toggle the controller on/off from any screen.

Play the game a bit zoomed in so it fills up the screen best possible. Should help.
    Buttons and text are kind of tiny on big devices now though I think.

17. downgrad3r

Jul 1, 2016
    I went through this a few months ago as well, but my expectations were low. It makes no sense to leave this title behind, though. None whatsoever. iOS deserves a proper MH title given how capable the devices have become. I asked support about updates and other titles some time ago. Response attached. 83CA7595-ECFC-4299-B93C-DEE837548663.jpeg

L.Lawliet likes this.
  18. Septim

Septim Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2010
    R.I.P. MHFU on iOS.

No longer supported on iOS 14.5

19. MetaGonzo

MetaGonzo Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    Bummer. I can get my 1.22 gig back I suppose.

20. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    RIP my favorite port of all time on iOS. And the most superior port of MHFU. I'm so disappointed in Capcom for giving up on it. SQE at least revived TWEWY, probably because the new TWEWY stuff coming out. MH got some big hype with the new game and Capcom didn't even want to capitalize on the people that might want MH on mobile phones.

If I was part of the MHFU mobile port team I'd be pissed. They did a flawless job and Capcom gave up on it.