Universal MONSTER HUNTER FREEDOM UNITE (by CAPCOM)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by nicodemus82, May 8, 2014.

1. Verse

Verse Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2017
    #6541 Verse, Feb 17, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2018
    Thank you kindly. How is it? I've never played a Monster Hunter game. Is it just boss to boss to boss to boss, and is there any meat on this bone or is it pretty much a dullard?

What I'm trying to ask is... is it worth it, or do you need to be a super fan of the franchise before it's worth shelling out the asking price if you're playing solo only?

2. Wizard_Mike

Wizard_Mike Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2011
    Texas
    You'll be hard pressed to find another game on the App Store with more meat than Monster Hunter. And at the current sale price ($4), it's absolutely worth it.

3. Verse

Verse Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2017
    Is it worth playing completely solo, or is it more minded towards an online coop experience?

4. nyanpass

nyanpass Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2017
    Although collaborative play is much better, solo play is also OK. Because it can be very difficult to clear a specific quest by yourself. However, there are many things to enjoy in this game without such a difficult quest.

This is a popular masterpiece. And it is evaluated that it did a good job of making the original console games with mobile. So, it is better if there is a MFI controller. Of course, it is okay to play without a controller if you adapt.

But It may not suit users who dislike complicated games. In other words, if you enjoy playing games lightly, you may not get along with this game. Sometimes, it takes more than an hour to finish one quest.

The bottom line is that it is a good opportunity to get and experience this game at this price. :)

5. Verse

Verse Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2017
    Alright, you convinced me. I've just bought it. I have so many games on the iPad that I have yet to play, but I'll get around to it sometimes.. eventually :D

6. curtisrshideler

curtisrshideler Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
    Chances are that if you like this, it’ll drive you towards wanting more and more Monster Hunter games. And you’ll likely pour hundreds of hours into it whether to upgrade weapons, armor, or finish certain missions. It is the most rewarding time sink on iOS and the PS Vita. $4 is a steal!

7. Verse

Verse Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2017
    #6547 Verse, Feb 17, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2018
    I'm considering buying a PS4 sometime this year, so if I like it, I might buy that monster Hunter game that came out for that. It certainly looks pretty cool.

8. phred

phred Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2010
    The loop is: Hunt monsters for parts, craft parts for better armor and weapons, hunt some more. Figuring out how to upgrade, or how to use certain potions, etc can be a challenge. It isn't always explained well, and has been such for all the Monster Hunter games. The most recent, Monster Hunter World did a lot to simplify some of the mechanics. MHFU is a lot like the older Monster Hunter games (and I played those on my 3DS).

9. drunk_vader

drunk_vader Active Member

Feb 23, 2015
    Barista
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    How’s the battery drain while playing this on an iPad Pro or iPhone 8 Plus? I’m considering buying it (I’ve played it a ton on my PSP back in the day) but not sure wether it’s going to destroy my battery in 30 min of playtime.

10. nyanpass

nyanpass Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2017
    After playing for about half an hour, The battery was used about 15 % ;)

11. Havelcek

Havelcek Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 30, 2013
    I just reloaded this after this thread got bumped back to the front page and man the game has not aged well. I had a hard time getting back into it and the combat/camera controls are so awkward. Deleted.

12. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    On the flip side, the game has aged very well for me (the port is only like 3ish years old after all) and I am never deleting it from my device. Having this massive world with tons of content right in my pocket with excellent controls is amazing. It takes a little time to get my groove back but it plays just as good as when I first bought it. Kept.

13. Xcxc

Xcxc Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2017
    I also DL'ed this again after seeing the thread bumped up. Also still enjoying it :)

Currently doing a run using GS now on 4* elder.
    Previously finished the game (done with both Uka + Monster hunter Quest) using HBG :p.

14. Havelcek

Patreon Bronze

Apr 30, 2013
    Do you use a controller or an iPad screen controls?

15. odi0n

odi0n Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2011
    From the future (Nov 2018)
    TLDR: Scroll to last sentence saying to To Anybody Reading.

If sticking around, here’s me showing love to this gem;
    This Masterpiece has aged beyond well for me. Especially playing with Nimbus controller. This has devoured my game time. Has robbed my desire to play the following games that are on my iPad:

Jade Empire
    KOTOR
    Rome Total War
    Civ 6
    XCOM
    Darkest Dungeon
    Harbinger (Dark Souls Inspired)
    San Andreas GTA
    Bully
    Xenos Eisenhorn
    Grid
    Stellar Wanderer
    TChess Pro
    Chess Online
    Wars & Battles
    MC5

Monster Hunter Freedom Unite, runs at silky 60frames, Controls are butter smooth, ultra responsive. On my iPad Pro 10.5

Since I play this game like a true hunter (an addict damn near), really immersing myself in the world, not just skating along, gliding from place to place... But really learning the mechanics, the nuances of battle, combining, and gathering what I need, when I need it or prepping early.

This game really invokes you, into thinking you really are a hunter. I have now, fully memorized (habitually) the control systems, the armor skills, the decorations, what a wonderful harmony of mechanics.

I think that if Skyrim “not blades” but actual Skyrim, were to release on iOS, it would be the only game to rival MHFU and command this level of desire from me.

Outside of that, MHFU is a powerful drug. All the 300+ pages in this thread pretty much resonates and attests to the value here. All this AND it offers CoOP? Just wow

I had over 300 games on my iPad. I finally realized after many years, there's no way I can play them all. I study C#, I hit the gym and I do I love life outside of my iPad screen.

So I narrowed it to the games I listed above, and only MHFU, (with online chess creeping up) is the only game getting leaps and bounds in hours of play. My life being way more busier now, equals to my game time being valuable. This game is indeed, the best! Legendary Status!

Here’s to hoping Capcom smartened up, (or their finances demand them to smarten up) and they bring Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate to the new 2018 iOS eco system (iPad Pro 2018 with its touted Xbox One S graphic & processing abilities)

Forever, Freedom Unite will stay on my iPad. Kept for life!

To anybody reading,
    If you like Survival (games that challenge you - open your thought pathways), Dark Souls, Bloodborne, Zelda breath of the wild, crafting and being a Predator, preparing for your hunt, stalking your prey - this game was meant for you.

If you’re into simple games, very casual, this is not for you. It may turn you off.

moonrgr, Lull4by and sebgo like this.
  16. Havelcek

Patreon Bronze

Apr 30, 2013
    You know, I'm actually glad you bumped this because I've been playing Monster Hunter World for about a month now and I'm totally hooked. Now that I actually understand the game a bit I think I'm going to get a Nimbus and give this another spin.

Thanks

17. Lull4by

Lull4by Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2014
    The Nimbus is the best controller by far for iOS gaming IMO, get one if you really want to play a game smoother and longer.

moonrgr likes this.
  18. quangvietnguyen

quangvietnguyen Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2013
    anyone still play mhfu?

19. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Seems quangvietnguyen needs help beating one of the guild missions. Does anyone want to help? I'll try if I have time but it's been a long time since I've played and I probably won't be that good at that difficulty. Bigger team would be better.

20. Zemar

Zemar Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Denmark
    Hi guys, does anybody know how the graphics are on the iPhone XS Max? I won't upgrade my phone if MHFU doesn't work or has very bad graphics. :)