Universal Monster Dash (by Halfbrick)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by ImNoSuperMan, Aug 18, 2010.

1. Lazuli

Lazuli Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2010
    Bought it even though I grumbled about it in the upcoming thread and I can't really see where all this restless enthusiasm is coming from tbh :s
    Yes the artstyle is very pretty and it's very neatly put together, but considering this is the developer of something so new at the time (fruit ninja) this really does whiff a bit of a canabalt clone with violence and zombies tacked on.
    There's no doubt i'l continue to play this now and then, but 'best casual game ever'? I think halfbricks previous work still easily holds that title without much worry.

2. Howlingwolf

Howlingwolf Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2010
    Uk
    Agreed another hit for the fruit ninja boys :)

3. Epox

Epox Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2010
    I kind of agree, this won't top Canabalt or Fruit Ninja but this is still an awesome app for a low price.

4. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    This pwns Canabalt, it's a steal. Literally for you, Epox.

5. Epox

Epox Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2010
    No Canabalt is better because it is much more simple and smooth. You can find a smooth tempo in Canabalt while Monster Rush every second you have to be on the alert for something to popup at you. I still like both games.

6. Foozelz

Foozelz Well-Known Member

Well, if you stopped dying at 300, you could notice that in Canabalt, there are times to have to be super alert to not run into bombs.

7. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    Smooth it may be (at least before iOS4 made it lag), but I can already survive longer in Monster Dash than I could in Canabalt. I think it benefits from being a little more action packed, but they do both have their own feel. Canabalt is far more zen, you can almost forget you're playing, but on the other hand sometimes you just wanna be badass and slay stuff with gay abandon.

8. Hitch

Hitch Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2009
    The Lonely Island
    Awesome! Barry Steakfries FTW! He's all of the stereotypes of every Bad A ever. Not joking. There's an awesome psp mini with him. :D

9. Gabrien

Gabrien Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2009
    I actually wish Halfbrick would take this whole engine and design an actual platformer around it. All the mechanics here are very fun, but I have to say I'm completely over this whole "forced scrolling, how far can you get" gameplay concept. After 30 seconds I just find myself wishing the game would slow the damn down so I can enjoy the experience.

10. Ouisch

Ouisch Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2009
    You obviously aren't playing Canabalt on iOS4 then. ;)

11. sammysin

sammysin Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2010
    Government Official.
    Swansea, UK
    I've got to say, the achievements really are great at keeping the game fun. Love the little shout out to Super Mario.

12. RiverOnFire

RiverOnFire Well-Known Member

I second this! We could always use another great platformer.

13. sticktron

sticktron Well-Known Member

I just wish there was more to shooting than holding the button down for the entire run. Otherwise nice little game!

14. sticktron

sticktron Well-Known Member

Oh and of these games, Solipskier is by my favorite.

15. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    There is, if you hold down the button when you've got a powerup weapon you'll just waste ammo, and if you hold it with the regular weapon you might get hit in between shots at faster speeds, so you'll have to time the shot correctly.

16. Epox

Epox Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2010
    I actually am... But this is off-topic now. This game is awesome and I will keep it on my iPod for a long time. What are your guys highest scores mine is 4891. I didn't set up open feint yet but I will when it comes out in the us. 2.6 hours more.

17. Grumps

Grumps Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

Feb 2, 2009
    iOS Game Developer
    Totally waiting for this! :eek: and thank god it's not about spending hours cutting fruit anymore!

18. da shiz wiz 19

da shiz wiz 19 Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
    When you do that, some monsters can slip between if timed right. I prefer relying on my reflexes.

Plus you'll waste your special weapon ammo.

And it reduces your accuracy stat.

19. TouchChatterbox

TouchChatterbox Well-Known Member

May 21, 2009
    Game Impressions

***** - Half-Brick have done it again with this high-paced game offering spooky run-and-gun fun-without-vampires-twinkling-in-the-sun. The only twinkling is the polish that has gone into the engaging sprites, the way the monsters & setting change every 1000 meters, rocking soundtrack & those delicious weapons. So let the twilight fade and make your next horror adventure Monster Dash! (TouchChatterbox, GymnastSoup on the Aussie App Store)

20. nikhsterboi

nikhsterboi Well-Known Member

#100 nikhsterboi, Aug 19, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2010
    Only 25 more minutes!!! ;)

EDIT: LONGEST 20 MINUTES OF MY LIFEEEEE!!!! :(